Hondo's Bar

Hondo's software must-haves

BigChiefSlapaho

I figured we could all benefit from a list of killer software & applications. Maybe you're interested in getting rid of pop-ups & adware? You could come here for a software recommendation. Maybe you're into graphics and want to show other Hondo's members what you've been making your masterpieces with? Want a new MP3 player? Maybe a software firewall for your PC? Post about them here!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chiefy's pick of the week: Microsoft Virtual PC

This great little program is basically an Operating System Emulator. In a nutshell, if you've got a good amount of RAM and a few GB free on your hard drive, you can run multiple Operating Systems (WinXP, Win2K, Linux, MacOS... etc) on your computer simultaneously. I'll explain.

Instead of going into your hard drive and making a seperate partition for a new Operating System, this little program will put a temporary file on your drive (who's size you can manually adjust) and use that file as the Virtual Hard Drive for your Virtual Computer. Pretty sweet. Then MSVPC will ask you to donate a section of your total RAM to the Operating System of the Virtual PC (64MB, 256MB... whatever). Then you pop in the install CD and start up the VPC, it will find your CDROM and begin an installation. On my PC, for example, I run WinXP Pro on the real PC and have Win2K Pro on my Virtual PC. Both connect to my DSL. Both have web access. Both have access to shared folders (I can transfer shit to & from either VPC). It's cool! Better yet, if I get a virus on my Virtual PC it doesn't pass over to the real PC! I just delete the VPC and start a new one.

It's a cool little program to play with. You can find it on BitTorrent or on Limewire, or you can get the 45-day trial edition from Microsoft.

I'm-a learn you guys on how to get rid of fucking bastard shit spyware, pop-ups, and adware.

Here's how I do it: (from a WinXP / Win2K PC)

1) Get a copy of Lavasoft's Ad-Aware. Update it. DON'T RUN IT YET.

2) Right click on My Computer, click on Properties. Go to the System Restore tab. Disable System Restore on all drives. Why? Spy & Adware writers have become smart. They've figured out that if they place certain files in the System Restore feature of Windows, even if you've uninstalled the program, System Restore might put it right back thinking that it's a normal program.

3) Click Start -> Run. Type "msconfig". Check your Startup tab for any programs booting up with Windows that should not be there. If you don't know what a program is, run a search over at http://www.ask.com or google. Key programs to watch out for: "bargains", "optimize", "msbb", "webrebates". Disable the bad programs and apply the changes. Don't restart yet.

4) Press CTRL + ALT + DELETE and check out your open processes. Start terminating programs that should not be running. Again, before you kill something you're not sure about, check google.

5) Run Ad-aware in full scan mode. I can't tell you enough how well Ad-aware has worked out for me. Takes a long time tho, and whenever they release a new version (which seems to be like every other day), you have to download the whole thing over again. When the scan is done, check out the critical notifications. Get rid of all that crap. The MRU's are Most Recently Used cookies & stuff, those are not that important, but you can junk them if you want.

6) Restart the PC. Activate System Restore again.

Other programs that might work: HijackThis!, Spybot

Good advice, tho SpyBot's worked better for me, personally.

Id add:

WinRar - Better than Winzip for compressing files, and it reads zips too.

Azeurus - Good bittorent client; fast, and you can pick out what you want to get from a pack (say there's 20 comics, and you want 3, you can prioritize what downloads).

Vobsub - Spiffy got me onto this one for subtittleing divx files.

Opera - Good non miscrosoft browser...i dont like how it loads images, but its pretty good for most things.

Musicmatch - Didnt care for it at first, but its a good, quick way to rip mp3s from a CD.

Winamp - cause it really whips the lama's ass.

does anyone know about video card/display thing... i'm trying to get a pretty intensive 3d graphics game to work, but after awhile windows tells me there was a device failure... and then my screen res goes to like 640x400 or something, and it won't budge (i figured out how to fix that though).

wtf is going on... gah approaching gates of "ihavenoclue"... ???

yeah sorry, posting in pain and when you're late for a class causes incoherence. lol.

i have a 1.3ghz intel centriNo (gah can't type) with 384mb of ram. it says i have a radeon 9000 video card with 32mb ram. i should probably get a better one but i'm poor... :(

my windows update isn't working and i couldn't find updated drivers on the website for this videocard.

yeah sorry, posting in pain and when you're late for a class causes incoherence. lol.

i have a 1.3ghz intel centriNo (gah can't type) with 384mb of ram. it says i have a radeon 9000 video card with 32mb ram. i should probably get a better one but i'm poor... :(

my windows update isn't working and i couldn't find updated drivers on the website for this videocard.

Ok, here's another one for your collection

pm_box_8.gif

Partition Magic

Made by PowerQuest, now sold by Symantec.

What does this do?

Well, Windows allows you to create and delete partitions through Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Manager. But not much else.

Say you've got a big 80GB drive. Say Windows is already occupying a partition that takes up the whole space on the drive. Tough cookie, Windows won't let you resize that partition or create new ones on that drive because there's already a big partition covering the whole thing and you're basically out of luck.... actually, no.

Partition Magic allows you to alter the properties of partitions on the fly, any time you're in Windows. So, you can change that 80GB drive to have 2 or 3 partitions, one for Windows & programs, one for data, one for games, perhaps? It will let you alter their size. It will let you combine two partitions into one bigger partition. It's a really cool program.

Download the trial version at the link above, or if not, I'm sure there might be one or two versions of this on Limewire or BitTorrent.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another good one.

Want to see what wireless internet connections are in your area that can be leeched from? (meaning no encryption being used, so it's wide open free internet) Check out NetStumbler. This program is used for "security purposes only" to detect wireless networks in range and let the user know if there is a password policy in place, if the system is using an encryption policy, or if the idiots left it wide open for you to jack their internet.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there an shared FTP already set up?

I have fraps which is an excellent program to 'benchtest' you game. You can also take screen shots and record frames of animation into small media files.

Currently looking for copies of Windows 2003 server and windows xp professional. Anyone want to show some love?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's Chief with another update!

NO-IP.COM

So you want to host an FTP or be able to access your PC remotely. But, sadly, you've got a dynamic IP from your Service Provider that could change at any moment. Dammit, what can you do?

You can go to www.no-ip.com, that's what. Basically, you register a fake "domain name" with them (for example: theirishcowboy.no-ip.org or bukkakefans.no-ip.biz ... they have a list of domain suffixes you can pick like no-ip.com / myftp.biz / serveftp.info / servesarcasm.org) and run their small No-IP client program that reports IP changes to their DNS server and viola! You can now access your computer via the constant name, rather than memorizing an ever changing IP address. Cool huh!

Other uses:

Say you have only 1 computer at home connected to DSL. You setup a no-ip domain like myballs.no-ip.biz. When you run the No-IP client, it tells the No-IP computers to forward anything that comes to the domain to your PC. Now, if you direct traffic to port 21 (like this: myballs.no-ip.biz:21) and your computer allows traffic through port 21, you've pretty much just made your PC an FTP site.

What if you want to remotely control your Windows XP computer? First, enable Remote Desktop Access, then you'd hit the domain name at port 3389 (myballs.no-ip.biz:3389). What if you have Windows 2000 or older? Just download RealVNC and install it on your Win2KPro computer. Then, run a VNC viewer program from the same site and hit your domain at port 5900, DONE!

It gets harder when you have more than 1 PC in a network. Then you have to enable port-forwarding in your router and that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Been searching for that perfect .sio ripper and found it! Although I haven't figured out if you can actually edit the individual .iso file, Alchohol %120 can do so much more! I get so excited it sends tingle all over my body! It emulates a CD/DVD device on an open drive so all you have to do is drag and drop an .iso (or any CD/DVD image) into the emulated drive and voila! It runs the damn thing. For people that use CD based apps and Bitttorent users everywhere this is a must-have for sure!

Archived