Hondo's Bar

Wu-Tang Clan

The NZA

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:xmas: its another non-secular-end-of-the-year-holiday (or NSEOTYH) miracle.

wu_tang_clan_100x100.jpg

New Wu-Tang Album in '07

Rifkind: "The mind state is the 36"

© The Wu-Tang Corp.- 2006-12-24

Five years after the release of their last album, Iron Flag, Wu-Tang Clan has reunited for their long awaited follow-up by signing a new record deal with the man credited for bringing them to the masses.

Steve Rifkind, CEO of SRC Records, announced the acquisition of the Staten Island collective this week in a video on his blog, thelabel.blog.com. Although a new album had long been discussed, things didn’t get rolling until Wu-Tang was recognized at this year’s VH1 Hip-Hop Honors, according to Rifkind, who consistently stayed in touch with group member and lead producer RZA. "Not only did I want, as a fan, want one more Wu-Tang record, but RZA also wanted one more Wu-Tang record," the mogul revealed to AllHipHop.com. "And then when we started discussing it a few months ago, the timing of it was just really perfect. "We always talked about it, but the timing was never really right," Rifkind continued, citing recently released "great albums" from Ghostface Killah (Fishscale, More Fish) and Method Man (4:21... The Day After) as signs of the Clan’s imminent return to form.

While plans are solidified for one Wu-Tang album, Rifkind remained optimistic about future group releases. "We’re going to start with this one album and then let’s see where it all goes," Rifkind explained. "Everybody else has all their other careers. People are acting now. People are owning their own businesses. But it’s definitely one record."

Rifkind predicted that work will begin on the new album at the beginning of 2007 with a release date for later in the year. A major tour will also follow, he added. As for Wu-Tang’s mindstate going into the project, Rifkind has good news for faithful fans. "The mind state is the 36," he shared, alluding to the title of the groups classic 1993 debut Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers). "That’s what we’re bringing it back to," Rifkind said. "Listen to Ghost’s album, how amazing it is. Listen to Meth’s album. Listen to what Rae’s spitting now. It’s hot."

Wu-Tang is among the artists put on the public radar by Rifkind, who helped break Mobb Deep, Big Pun, Xzibit, Tha Alkaholiks, Lil Flip, dead prez and others. With SRC, the executive is ushering in a new line up of established artists such as Remy Ma, David Banner, Pharoahe Monch and Akon, who is enjoying the success of his latest album Konvicted. The release has currently sold more than 2 million copies worldwide. "We ended the year off strong, extremely strong," said Rifkind. "When you focus on breaking acts, which we specialize in doing, that’s what were going to do. We’re expecting an incredible year from Remy next year, an incredible year from Banner. More carryover of Akon. We have this kid Topic out on the West Coast that’s incredible. Young Cash out of Tallahassee, Fla. I mean we’re really, really excited. Pharoahe Monch. We’re extremely excited of the releases we have next year."

Rifkind founded Loud Records in 1992 and released the Wu-Tang Clans breakthrough album, Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers). The group also crafted a groundbreaking deal under Rifkinds watch, which allowed each member to record seperate solo albums on other labels. The result was a slew of classic albums from Wu-Tang Clan members Method Man, RZA, GZA, Raekwon, Ghostface Killah, Ol Dirty Bastard, Inspectah Deck, U-God and Masta Killah.

Credited: Chris Richburg @ allhiphop

This is what i want to hear.

Tribe mayve been a rumor, and Mos Def & other solo's lately arent up to par, but this'll keep me happy for a long time to come if its nearly as good as Wu-Tang Forever.

And a "major tour"? I mayve missed out the smaller venues like Revolution up in Lauderdale, but if they do a real show, ill go by my damn self if i gotta....

I mean, Rae's "Only built for Cuban Linx II" comes out next year, hopefully GZA & ODB's last one too, this would really tie it all together.

• 1 month later...

More

"Wu-Tang Is Forever," Comeback CD Hitting Stores This Summer

Wu Tang Clan's RZA & SRC Records CEO Steve Rifkind recently announced that the group's highly anticipated album, 8 Diagrams, will hit stores this summer.

As SOHH previously reported, the New York rap collective signed with Rifkind's SRC Records this past December. Wu-Tang, who came in to prominence in the early 90's via Rifkind's now-defunct Loud Records, have not released a group album since 2001's Iron Flag.

During their six-year hiatus, all nine members of the group have released solo albums. The group's most eccentric member, ODB (born Russell Tyrone Jones), died in 2004 from an accidental overdose while recording his third solo project.

"This is the perfect time for us to come back, the stars are aligned," explained RZA via a statement. "It's like when we first started with Steve. We put out real hip-hop at a time when it was turning into pop or R&B. We brought the focus back to the music in its rawest form, without studio polish or radio hooks."

According to RZA, the album will feature a performance of ODB "in his rawest form" and a tribute song dedicated to the fallen rapper titled "Life Changes".

"The energy is just like it was, and it's needed in our industry same as back then," added Rifkind. "Over the last few years, the group has developed a whole new fan base of 20-year-olds and even younger who've never even seen them play."

"People want something that gives them an adrenaline rush," emphasized RZA. "We're here to supply that fix. How could hip-hop be dead if Wu-Tang is forever? We're here to revive the spirit and the economics and bring in a wave of energy that has lately dissipated."

A release date for 8 Diagrams has yet to be determined.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

So, this is what happens when some knucklehead decided to be in the front row of another performance of Rock the Bells, and heckled the Wu, even asked "where's ODB?"

someone there said the kid left with his girl carrying him, got his ass beat so bad, dude was crying. you dont go talkin shit to Meth like that. Even the crowd got into that one.

8 Diagrams in November! :misty:

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

ill be honest; i didnt finish it. i actually felt guilty with the bootleg and next time im at best buy, decided to just buy it legit and support. what'd you think of it though?

Its hard to fuck with RZA's work with the strings & mafioso shit on Links, but if im being honest with myself, i listen to Liquid Swords and the grimy shit on Tical way more.

I got the mixtape/promo shit for Links 2 and it was solid, but im not as big a Rae fan these days when he's not with Ghost, just preference i guess. I'm hoping to be proven wrong; i mean, that Masta Killa one a year or two back, i wasnt expecting shit and it was awesome.

ill be honest; i didnt finish it. i actually felt guilty with the bootleg and next time im at best buy, decided to just buy it legit and support. what'd you think of it though?

Its hard to fuck with RZA's work with the strings & mafioso shit on Links, but if im being honest with myself, i listen to Liquid Swords and the grimy shit on Tical way more.

I got the mixtape/promo shit for Links 2 and it was solid, but im not as big a Rae fan these days when he's not with Ghost, just preference i guess. I'm hoping to be proven wrong; i mean, that Masta Killa one a year or two back, i wasnt expecting shit and it was awesome.

some great joints on 8: take it back, heart gently weeps, stick me for my riches, life changes being the best

rza put so much effort into this album, it's decent. meth sounds like he does on tical too. it's a bit of a 'pretty' album though, lot of singing in the second half, guitars, strings.. 4/5 from me

Edited by Lorelei

shit, if i wasnt sold on it, you did it there then. RZA doing what he does and grimy Meth is what i go for - you ever read the Wu-Tang manual? i thought it was funny how RZA said he wanted to do a "space opera" that the group woudlnt even agree to when they were high.

shit, if i wasnt sold on it, you did it there then. RZA doing what he does and grimy Meth is what i go for - you ever read the Wu-Tang manual? i thought it was funny how RZA said he wanted to do a "space opera" that the group woudlnt even agree to when they were high.

always been tempted to buy that book but amazon seems to be sold out whenever i check

recommended?

oh i also liked rza's work as bobby digital too... rza is one guy i'd like to meet, seems so approachable and shit.. plus he inspired me to start making beats.. (as well as j dilla and madlib)

yeah, shame you cant meet dilla anymore, R.I.P. madlib'd be good too.

I honestly adored the book, if you can get it cheap on half or wherever you really should; i already loved RZA but it got a whole new appreciation when i saw the mentality he had between the different sound styles he created for each member's solo works.

didn't he make Donuts in his death bed or something? that was actually quite a personal album for me, realising i was listening to a piece of art someone had made before they're gonna die. can tell he grew up with soul

yeah, damn right. really want that book now. i swear out of all of them meth is the one who would actually fuck you up. gza intrigues me quite a bit, such a quiet guy.. doesn't seem to do much. crazy how everyone isn't aware of 'priest on liquid swords as well

Edited by Lorelei

I knew GZA was some amazing shit when i heard Labels. Priest, i mostly remember for B.I.B.L.E. and he had my attention since then, though i started following Masta Killa more around that time too.

Personally, im just glad Capadonna's out, i was never really a fan. Oh, checked the wiki and read this:

GZA will be releasing a tell-all DVD named Wu Tang Revealed, featuring footage of the Clan dating back to the nineties, as well as his sixth album, Pro Tools, which will be released by Babygrande Records. There is also talk of a Wu-Tang album without RZA, to be entitled Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang; as of now, Ghostface and Raekwon are helming the project, though it is not known which other members will be on it

nothing but good news there. I hear the hype behind the RZA-less album is "Fall of the Abbot" and i cant wait to see how that goes down.

fallof.jpg

well, i first learned of it here but i take it that Ghost/Rae just want to try a different direction and run with the hype that its not what RZA does and he's been the head for so many years now; i seriously doubt there's any ill will in it, i figure he might be down for it.

on No Said Date, i loved a few tracks, the ones coming to mind were "School" with RZA on it, and this one with ODB over the sanford & son beat. I was just surprised cause i wasnt expecting RZA production here & there and was pleasantly surprised.

well, i first learned of it here but i take it that Ghost/Rae just want to try a different direction and run with the hype that its not what RZA does and he's been the head for so many years now; i seriously doubt there's any ill will in it, i figure he might be down for it.

on No Said Date, i loved a few tracks, the ones coming to mind were "School" with RZA on it, and this one with ODB over the sanford & son beat. I was just surprised cause i wasnt expecting RZA production here & there and was pleasantly surprised.

ah, that clears shit up... so RZA's still producing cuban linx 2?

hmm... what other wu solo gems are there?

i dont know about links 2. the mixtapes ive heard so far dont sound of him at all though.

id say pretty much every 1st work of the solo members, cause it had RZA production. Liquid Swords, Tical, Return to the 36 Chambers, Cuban Links, Iron Man etc. and again, No Said Date was surprisingly good.

past that, i love Meth for Tical 2000 and Blackout! with Red, even the GZA's weaker stuff has still been good in my book, but i gotta admit, Ghostface has been the most consistent member as far as quality goes. Bulletproof Wallets, Supreme Clientele, up to Fishscale, all solid in my opinion. I wish i could say the same for other follow-ups like Nigga, Please, Lex Diamond, Tical 0 etc.

• 4 weeks later...