Hondo's Bar

Comic book movies

Well, you know how hollywood families are. If you're related to a big name, you instantly have a huge advantage over everyone else tried to break through (not that's that's help Frank Stallone, poor bastard, tries so hard). And James Garner is about the right age to have a daughter Jennifer Garner's age. I don't think it's that far-fetched to believe they're related.

...blurry.  Watched the Stan Lee intereview Kevin Smith did last night, talked a bit bout the Daredevil & Hulk films forthcoming, im a bit more excited by the Hulk one but we'll see.  I really wanna see a trailer here; sure, pics of Kingpin & Elektra'd be cool, but i gotta see how DD moves with that cane - im picturin the same agility in the Spidey movie...wouldnt a cameo be cool tho?  Yeah, yeah fanboy talk. :D

A cameo would be great, but unfortunately, it's already been vetoed by the lawyers. The Daredevil series and the Spider-man series (yes, Daredevil is a planned series...they're already working on two more sequels) are being produced by different movie companies, so it's been agreed that the characters can't cross over. They can't even mention each other. In fact, NO characters can cross over. That means that since the Kingpin is in this first Daredevil movie, he'll never be able to be portrayed in a Spider-man movie. Likewise with Joe Pantoliano's character - Ben Ulrich - who actually works at the Daily Bugle with Peter Parker in the comics, but never will in the movies. In fact, he's not even going to be working at The Daily Bugle, because that newspaper name was used in Spider-man. (Sigh) Legal beagles.

The Daredevil Trailer is attached to Minority Report, right? I am not happy about daredevil being a planned series. I mean, it was OK with Spider-Man because, let's face it, with that cast, how could it be bad. But Affleck has made some stinkers in the past. I was cetian Spider-Man was going to be good long before it came out (any indication otherwise was an irrational fear). Though I have high hopes!

Considering the information...I'd say Snow Dogs 3 is worse than the Apocalypse. So, hopefully Snow Dogs 2 will bring about the end of the world before we have to suffer the hell-on-earth that would be Snow Dogs 3.

Anyway...heh...oh yeah, Daredevil...

Yeah. I don't know if it'll be a big part of the movie, or if it'll just be flashbacks, but they're covering some of it. They've got a kid playing the 12 year old Matt Murdock, and David Keith is his father. And in his oh-so-neccessary cameo, Stan Lee is supposed to play the blind guy that Matt saves from the truck.

By the way, what does everyone think of Michael Clarke Duncan playing the Kingpin?

They've got a kid playing the 12 year old Matt Murdock

What? Did they think Affleck wasn't boyish enough to play the role himself?

As far as the Kingpin, I'm kind of used to him being big, bald and white. Michael has got the Big and the Bald thing down pat, but he's just not convincing as white. I imagine he probably won't try to be white, so it should be OK. Hope he doesn't come off as a Marcellus Wallus wannabe. He reminds me a bit of Ving Rames. Same goes for Fishbourne as Doc Ock. I figure maybe Marvel's trying to make the stories a bit more interracial by coloring up a few characters, but is coloring up organized crime bosses the most PC way do do it? :D

I dunno, i look right past race if the actor looks the part; i thought Lawrence Fishbourne for Doctor Octopus was brilliant, and this guy...he's bout the only person i see in movies these days the right size for Kingpin.  Unless you wanna give it to Butterbean (fat boxer), i say he's a shoe-in.

A startling resemblance, JMT. But then he might start using those arms to try to play the piano and the whole thing will go to shit...

As for MCD playing the Kingpin...I dunno. Despite the race difference (which I admit, takes a little time to get past) I think he looks too young for the Kingpin. And not evil enough. MCD has made a living playing "the big guy with the heart of gold", y'know? Armageddon, The Green Mile, The Whole Nine Yards...I thankfully didn't see his role in The Scorpion King, so I can't bring up that role. I'm not sure, yet, if he'll be able to pull off a heartless character like the Kingpin.

Well he was pretty evil in Planet of the Apes (not as evil as Tim Roth, but Evil nonetheless), but that took a lot of make-up. ???

Anyway, seeing Doc Ock portrayed by Elton John would make my day. And seeing him break into a little Honky Cat or Saturday Night's Alright for Fight with the extra arms , well, that would be intensely hilarious.

Heh, yeah, then we'd have to have him do a duet with Billy Joel playing the Vulture or somethin'.

And you're right, MCD was pretty evil in Planet of the Apes (even when you couldn't really see him under the makeup) but even then they'd give him little moments where you could see he was doubting his actions. Now, I think the guy's a great actor, and can most likely pull it off. I'm just saying, I've yet to see him in a role that required him to be that cold hearted.

Especially if you read the good Kingpin stuff - Frank Miller's Daredevil - age wont matter as much as imposing size, and he's got that in spades.  Think Pulp Fiction before he gets ass-fucked.

As for the race thing...it's easy to look past in under-developed characters, unless its just silly: Sgt. Nick Fury in the Ultimate lines is a Sam Jackson-Shaft ripoff, and that's dumb, 'cause his ass wouldntve been a Sgt in a white platoon in WW II like the story goes.  Follow? Take Preacher.  Custer should obviously be played by a white guy 'cause that's how he was developed, but if a black guy were to play, say, the Saint of Killers, and nail the part, then why not? And dont get caught in "who looks dead on for it", 'cause that leads to crazy shit like havin Elton John play a limpwrist Doc Ock, when clearly Fishbourne, while not matching the look quite as well (tho the sunglasses he uses in the Matrix are dead on), will play the part much better, id think.

Daredevil should be white 'cause he's been developed as a white protagonist character, tough irish guy in a bad neighborhood. Less developed characters, i say fuck it, cast a guy who's purple if he halfway looks the part & will play it to a tee, i wont get so caught on the details as to let it ruin a well-acted story for me.

Argh there's no more comic talk in the comic forum these days...guess ill go look up the other comic movies m'self, im kinda hyped bout the Ang Lee Hulk flick.

I agree with you there, IC. His race isn't what I got a problem with. Hell, I don't even have a problem with it, he just wouldn't have been my first choice. But I agree that race doesn't matter as much as getting a good actor that can nail the part (though I disagree with the Saint of Killers example, because I don't think any other race would fit his back story).

By the by, that was Ving Rhames in Pulp Fiction, not Michael Clarke Duncan.