Hondo's Bar

Hondo's indexing

The NZA

So, newbies to the site still comment that there's too much to catch up on, forums are overwhelming and such, and ive been taking suggestions for what can be done (outside of updating the cursed FAQ...quiet, Jax).

One suggestion: more subforums, and stricter forum borders. Like, all the "question/answer" threads could go to the bars, or say, in culture, we could have a subforum for member contributions, and book reviews & such in the main forum, instead of me pinning like 20 topics there.

Chief suggested actual subforums for the pubs in the bar forum, so you can make threads within and treat it like a real bar; im not sure how that'd go down, but its a suggestion.

I know different people browse this place differently...i check most forums manually, many of you use the "my assistant" feature, which is cool too. But more subforums is more clicking, more to look around, etc, so i think it could confuse if there's too many.

What do you guys think can be done to clean up a bit, mebbe make the place more approachable for our growing crowd?

I'm new to the site, so I guess my opinion for once might be useful. It was a little overwhelming for a moment. I wasn't quite sure where to start. Actually, I probably wouldn't have started posting much at all if wasn't for the guided tour Jax gave me of the site.

Maybe we could have Jax write up ultra-abridged short tour of the bar. Or maybe some person could be designated as a guide of sorts who would be able to let the newbie what the hopping threads are.

I'm just a vagrant though, so what do I know?

You might be onto somethin tho, Vagrant.

I try to message new members to tell em they can ask me questions, and point to the FAQ, but its pretty vauge; ive thought of doing a jax-esque picture FAQ or intro, and there was this flash flile MetalHeart put in Town Square a while back that was helpful, too. Its right here, actaully.

Dante - what do you think of a flash intro to the site, man?

Well, this is how I navagate the site.

Wake up

go back to sleep

wake up again

back to sleep

kinda wake up and sit at the pc

open up hondos and click "View new posts"

See if anything is interesting, check and post oldest first. Starting from the bottom and working my way up (kinda like sex)

click "Mark these threads as read and return to index"

Play final fantasy XI the rest of the day and act like Im looking for a job

Wurks fer mi! :D

Chief suggested actual subforums for the pubs in the bar forum, so you can make threads within and treat it like a real bar; im not sure how that'd go down, but its a suggestion.

IC, thats quite a good idea, but taking the piss at this stage, firstly hijacking the name, now you want to introduce threads, within threads!!! :D

But really, i think that in itself may turn out to be more confusing.... i don't know if any one else agrees? Esp for newbies.

I feel the whole bar within a bar is a hard sell :D however, the bars that are there (Taps, Hondos', Singles Bar) should be just general chatter with no overriding theme, ie just talking shit like you would if you were in a pub with friends, and talking about your favourite drinks, memorable nights out, etc. And they bars should be :pimp:d more on that basis than anything else (My fault partly) but hey, a new begining, here comes the pimping!!

:D ANYONE READING THIS PAGE, COME ON DOWN TO THE BARS :D

Click Here To Enter The Den Of Inequity

See but there's so much more than VIEW NEW POSTS that never gets seen b/c it's not new! We have great topics from years back that nobody brings up partly b/c they're old and partly b/c they're like 1897518975 pages back in Town Square!

Plus, Town Square is NOT a place for a Question / Answer thread. Neither was it a place for Verdict. Town Square was supposed to be for introductions, about-me's, events, birthdays, parties, get togethers, etc.

I thought the POLITICS forumcould be broken into a HONDO'S NEWS section and a POLITICS & HONDOS DEBATES section.

I thought the CULTURE section could be broken down into GRAPHIC ARTS and LITERARY ARTS & BOOKS.

I like how the MUSIC section has a HIP HOP LOUNGE... it would be tough to satisfy everybody else tho... (JAZZ LOUNGE, PUNK PIT, NEO-INDUSTRIAL CLASSICAL ACCOUSTIC BANJO spot...) too many variants. I also like how MOVIES has it's own ANIME section although I think gives the impression that all we talk about here is Japanese animation when in fact many of us are into The Simpsons, Family Guy, and others that are not ANIME.

COMICS & MANGA? Only b/c IC owns this place does comics get its own main forum. Otherwise, I would've put it with LITERARY ARTS & BOOKS or perhaps made it a subforum of CULTURE... but you know IC isn't down with that :D

I think the Forum Pubs should have their own pubs sections. One for SINGLES BAR, one for TAPS OF LIFE, one for PRH, one for FORMERLY HONDOS. Gives it that feeling that we're actually entering a BAR, where the rules are different, rather than just being stickies in a lumped up forum.

I also think a lot of things should be crap shacked, but I won't go there today.

The only reason I saw the Hondo's Hottest Chick thread was because Chief pointed it out to me. See, he thought that if I saw all the hot chicks on this forum, I would beg to be let in to this inner circle...ha! Well, after a few hours of strolling around that one particular thread, I was in. :D

A flash intro would be cool, and not completely non-doable. I did a short one for my site but I've been trying to redo it for quite some time now...I've put it off for months.

With the Halloween thing, yeah that thing took me about 2 days total. An intro might take some time. Send me some suggestions, I'll see what I can do.

• 6 months later...

shit, i gotta fix the logo in this skin, dont i? some of you see it funky...

Ok, its not a major issue, but im a bit concerned about the new Powder Room overcoming member projects in Culture. Some folks use the board's assistant feature, or other means to check new threads, but many seem to check what thread's on top of the main page, and i just hate seein member poetry, art, etc buried & unnoticed. Even when Culture was just itself, id feel bad sometimes; not to say i expect every spontaneous combustion or haiku to get replies/reviews, but at the possible expense of stripping down culture a bit, does anyone think member works such as art, poetry/writings, personal web sites etc should get thier own sub-forum? If so, where, and would it not simply get buried elsewhere?

Just a thought, not sayin anything'll come from it, but im personally a bit proud of the creativity our Hondonians give off, and id simply like to showcare it more sometimes.

Yeah, i see it now that im at work, might just use a different skin altogether, the island approach seems to get no more attention than others.

How do you feel bout a member project corner/subforum, tho? Cool or excessive, and if you dig it, where should it go?

Ok, i gotta talk to :D bout thsi one then, i know the site's big & confusing to newbies but im thinkin we coudl use a small corner for member projects, even if some of it are links to threads in other places, you know? Just somethn more to highlight our many works....i just gotta figure out where to put it so it doesnt get buried anymore.

If you think that the Powder Room is overshadowing things in culture, you can move the entire forum to wherever you deem it worthy...

It seems like this sub-forum is everyones pimple on their butt so move it to whatver corner you'd like...I'll still post in there.

Culture should have a sub-forum solely for member contributions as opposed to it being weeded in with book reviews & such. Some good stuff can definitely get lost when other topics take over the front page....

Aarty - thanks, im lookin into that. Where else could Powder room go, you think? I could then make a subforum in culture for member projects mebbe...its ya'lls deal, lemme know where youre comfortable with.

SE - which links in particular? Sure its not your monitor...? dammit, i was thinkin of this one as the new Suggestion Box skin, even got a logo from MH. :D

Oh yeah...you know, i never really notice those. You use em? That's cool....so is that a "nay" vote for this skin then?

go on, break her poor metalheart :D

PS E, Aarty, lemme know other potential hosts for the Powder Room that you think work.

Well, good, that's settled then, and just in time for the new logo!

also...

PS E, Aarty, lemme know other potential hosts for the Powder Room that you think work.

:D "how else can i explain it? i dont speak no other languages!"

Sorry, I really don't look in here too often...

I only go into the Town Square to check on the status of the Werewolf game...

About the location of the Powder Room...I am a bit scared to even suggest anything lest I cause another uproar in the community.

It was a toss in the beginning to put it either in Culture or in The Forum Pubs...

I say pubs because of this:

Aartemys0802 (10:32:10 PM): when women go to a, let's say, bar...and they want to get together and talk about something...well, where do they go in groups???

DanteAS1 (10:32:34 PM): bathrooms

Aartemys0802 (10:32:33 PM): they go to the bathroom...and what's a nice way of calling a bathroom?

DanteAS1 (10:32:38 PM): shithouse

Aartemys0802 (10:32:39 PM): THE POWDER ROOM!

DanteAS1 (10:32:42 PM): ...oh a nice way

DanteAS1 (10:32:43 PM): hehehe

But for all I care, you can put it in the Crap Shack...like I said, it's location will not deter me from posting there.

Archived