Hondo's Bar

First Mod Chip For GameCube

Unidentified Source

The first modification chip for Nintendo's GameCube console has been announced. It will allow users to boot homebrew applications, loaders and BIOS'. Until now hackers where using an exploit in the game Phantasy Star Online and a broadband adapter to be able to load homebrew software like GC-Linux over a network connection but now they'll be able to run code directly from flash memory. The mod chip will require to solder only 4 wires and while the device comes empty it's not impossible to think 3rd party loaders will come that allow you to boot copied games.

Alright, this is cool....thing is, tho, unless youre tryin to play imports, what can ya do with it? I have no idea where youd get bootleg GC games....once saw a video file where i guy stiripped his cube down, and played regular burned CD's...was weird.

you can actually download them off of mIRC

right, you can get em on suprnova too but what you gonna burn em too, ulness a regular sized disc...?

and yeah, i see what youre sayin dante, but its a GC-only sized disc, the hardware to burn that size is...rare, on this coast, as far as ive found. Again, if you take your GC open and play a normal CD, as one video showed some kids doin with a burn of "Rogue Squadron", and that works, congrats; but i got no other ideas.

See, this is where you guys are misunderstanding: its a computer thats built to read only those discs. The laser alone wont touch DVD's, and i wouldnt even believe CD's if i hadnt seen a video of that hacked one.

Assumin you wanted to try that hacked one (again, it was Rogue Squadron), im fairly certain you coudlnt do it yourself. GC discs hold, wha, a few gigs? A CD, 660 MB. So, somebody's have to strip things out, like CG's, mebbe sound, etc. to fit the bulk of the game on a disc....Nintendo really thought this anti-piracy thing through. And its not like there's a slew of import games i wanna play anyway....

X-box is different, cause it has an internal hard drive, and hackability is way higher. Its the most hackable console ive seen since the dreamcast...people are storing movies, anime, playing SNES games, etc off their x-boxes.

IC, you're right it is just a computer, but that doesn't mean the media can't be read off a mini-DVD. Dreamcast games were on discs called GDROMs and they were a Gig. This meant that my copy of Grandia2 had to have sounds removed and other options taken away to fit. But they still worked on CDRs. I don't know how much a mini-DVD holds but I'm sure it's more than a gig. And some of these games don't fill up an entire disc...

Granted; i just want you to take into account the physical size of the discs youre referring to, not just capacity.

minidisc:

minidisc-glossary.jpg

gamecube disc:

gamecube-disc.jpg

cant get the dimensions at the moment, but im fairly certain theyre different sizes, and i dont believe a GC will read a mini...perhaps modification fixes that, but not from what ive read....

No way! i couldve sworn the minidisc was smaller... :D

Hmm...so, does this particluar modchip allow minidisc play? cause if so, that'd solve that one right up. And youre kinda right bout the rouding up: most times, they dont fill the disc up to 100%; making a 2nd disc doesnt cost as much on packaing & production as it used to, it seems.

Archived