Hondo's Bar

Highlander

The NZA

nothing baytor said was unfair, but i still enjoyed the shit out of a few seasons of the show. showed way more potential than the movies or any of the rest of it did, and there's a lotta expanded universes that prolly wish they had even that much to point at.

The TV show is an acquired taste, anybody who says it's "more serious" than the movies is wearing some pretty serious blinders. I think by "more serious" they mean "less like something from the 80s" which is fair. It's roughly on-par with the Crow TV show (which I liked by the way, or at least I did like 6 years ago when I watched it last.)

It does do a good job of expanding the mythology and fleshing the world out too. It was the show's influence that saved Endgame, unfortunately there was no saving The Source. But hey, at least Duncan finally got to live happily ever after with that girl we've never seen before by showing an uncharacteristic bit of mercy against the guardian after causing him to spin so fast that he screwed himself into the ground so he could achieve the real prize: the ability to have a kid. Can we talk about The Source? I reeeeally wanna talk about The Source.

Edited by Iambaytor

It's unquestionably terrible, so terrible that I couldn't stop laughing, like Walter White laying in the crawl space while the phone rings and the camera pans out laughing. I do appreciated they tried to find a way to make the series make sense (saying that the reason there were more immortals after Connor won the prize was because he didn't actually win the prize), it still didn't explain Zeist or really anything related to The Quickening at all but at least it made 1, 3, and Endgame all mesh together in its own way. What I didn't appreciate was really anything else. I liked the Guardian but I'm a fan of things that are ridiculously bombastic and in a series where every villain has been a scenery chewing lunatic he stood out as the real champion there.

This review sums up pretty much every terrible thing here including how every single move it makes seems to be a calculated attack on anything you love or hold dear about the ruins of the series. Highlander the Source will fuck a hole in your head and take a shit in your brain.

• 9 months later...

So what are some of your favourite episodes guys?

The Season 1 finale, Hunters, was a really interesting episode, where we are intorduced to the Watchers.

The episodes with Kalas in season 3 were some the best stroylines in the series, and he was definitely one of the best villians Duncan came up against.

Season 3, 4 and 5 are top notch!

P.S. Duncan is way cooler than Connor!

Edited by Choose Life

funny, i was thinking about this show recently too...i'd say

1) chronos (maybe its kanas?) was indeed awesome

2) there's that viking guy who killed duncan's father of sorts, that was a good one too

there's other standout ones im forgetting cause i made the mistake of staying onto the last season...

the finale before that where he accidentally kills richie was painful/awful

but yeah, duncan >> connor all day

ps don't bother watching the anime if you were so inclined

funny, i was thinking about this show recently too...i'd say

1) chronos (maybe its kanas?) was indeed awesome

2) there's that viking guy who killed duncan's father of sorts, that was a good one too

there's other standout ones im forgetting cause i made the mistake of staying onto the last season...

the finale before that where he accidentally kills richie was painful/awful

but yeah, duncan >> connor all day

ps don't bother watching the anime if you were so inclined

You are correct, it's Chronos, and yes he was a great villian too. Kanas- you probably had Kalas in your mind- he too was awesome.

I seem to be the only one who enjoys the Ahriman storyline.

But season 6 was, with the exception of a few episodes a bit pointless.

There is one episode he wasn't even in.

Picture the scene, i'm 12 years old, staying up until about 4 in the morning to watch it, and i'm like "hmmm, 20 minutes in, and still no Duncan?". Was pretty pissed by the end of the episode.

- The entire series. Edited by Choose Life

• 3 years later...

John Wick Director Chad Stahelski Tackling 'Highlander' Reboot

There can be only one and, in this case, it's Chad Stahelski.

Stahelski, who, along with David Leitch, was the filmmaker behind John Wick, has signed on to direct the long-gestating reboot of Highlander for Lionsgate.

"I've been a huge fan of the original property since I saw it in high school," Stahelski told The Hollywood Reporter. "Such great themes of immortality, love, and identity are all wrapped up in such colorful mythology. I can't think of a better property that gives the opportunity to create interesting characters, mythic themes and action set pieces."

Neal H. Moritz and Peter Davis are producing the project, which could also see Stahelski and Leitch join the team via their 87Eleven production and action stunt company, though that is still to be determined.

The original Highlander starred Christopher Lambert, Sean Connery and Clancy Brown as immortal beings, hunting down one another and collecting more power. Lambert played Scottish swordsman Connor MacLeod, Connery portrayed Egyptian Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez and Clancy was a barbarian known as the Kurgan. The film — with its "There can be only one" catchphrase — spawned four sequels and three television series.

The Highlander reboot has been in the works since 2008 when Lionsgate-owned label Summit acquired the rights. The project has seen directors such as Justin Lin, Juan Carlos Fresnadillo and Cedric Nicolas-Troyan go through its doors.

But Lionsgate never gave up on what it believes could be its next big franchise. A search for new scribes to work with Stahelski is about to get underway.

RCR Media Group’s principals Rui Costa Reis and Eliad Josephson will serve as executive producers on the film.

Stahelski worked in the stunt world and doubled for Keanu Reeves in the Matrix movies before co-creating the stunt company 87Wleven with Leitch.

They worked as a second unit directors on action movies ranging from Ninja Assassin to Captain America: Civil War and made their directorial debut with the well-regarded actioner John Wick, which starred Reeves and was released by Lionsgate.

Stehelski is coming off of directing the recently wrapped John Wick: Chapter 2. He is repped by WME and Lichter Grossman.

Yep, Ryan Reynolds got the original one fired...

Hehehe... Three TV series... though, I rather did enjoy The Highlander the Animated Series (felt almost Fallout like but without guns; reminded me of Thundarr the Barbarian, which I also liked), but if they included that then they should of mentioned the Anime OVA too.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Henry Cavill Led Highlander Reboot Movie Films in 2022

highlander.jpg

In a recent sit-down with THR, Henry Cavill, who is set to take on the lead role in the upcoming Highlander reboot, confirms that filming is set to commence in 2022. The Summit Entertainment-owned film franchise also locked down director Chad Stahelski, perhaps most notably known for his work on the John Wick movies. As the production of Highlander draws near, Cavill describes Stahelski's film adaptation as more realistic, taking on the archetypal elements of a modern-day tragedy. See what Stahelski said regarding the casting of Henry Cavill below:

"Henry obviously has the physicality, but that doesn't mean a whole lot if you can't also carry the empathy of a character that's lived 500 years, and I needed somebody who could do both. The character's arc spans hundreds of years and he becomes many different personalities, all of which extend the timeline of his emotional growth. Then during our first meeting, my suspicions were confirmed: Henry was immediately riffing on the idea of the burden of immortality and you could see in his eyes that he can transform himself from being a young, vibrant soul to an old, wise soul."