Hondo's Bar

Bob Dylan Vs Johnny Cash

Reverend Jax

Who do you like better?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In that case, here's one of the greatest Dylan songs ever lyricized in case anyone (coughCowboycough) has trouble understanding The Man

Early one mornin' the sun was shinin',

I was layin' in bed

Wond'rin' if she'd changed at all

If her hair was still red.

Her folks they said our lives together

Sure was gonna be rough

They never did like Mama's homemade dress

Papa's bankbook wasn't big enough.

And I was standin' on the side of the road

Rain fallin' on my shoes

Heading out for the East Coast

Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through,

Tangled up in blue.

She was married when we first met

Soon to be divorced

I helped her out of a jam, I guess,

But I used a little too much force.

We drove that car as far as we could

Abandoned it out West

Split up on a dark sad night

Both agreeing it was best.

She turned around to look at me

As I was walkin' away

I heard her say over my shoulder,

"We'll meet again someday on the avenue,"

Tangled up in blue.

I had a job in the great north woods

Working as a cook for a spell

But I never did like it all that much

And one day the ax just fell.

So I drifted down to New Orleans

Where I happened to be employed

Workin' for a while on a fishin' boat

Right outside of Delacroix.

But all the while I was alone

The past was close behind,

I seen a lot of women

But she never escaped my mind, and I just grew

Tangled up in blue.

She was workin' in a topless place

And I stopped in for a beer,

I just kept lookin' at the side of her face

In the spotlight so clear.

And later on as the crowd thinned out

I's just about to do the same,

She was standing there in back of my chair

Said to me, "Don't I know your name?"

I muttered somethin' underneath my breath,

She studied the lines on my face.

I must admit I felt a little uneasy

When she bent down to tie the laces of my shoe,

Tangled up in blue.

She lit a burner on the stove and offered me a pipe

"I thought you'd never say hello," she said

"You look like the silent type."

Then she opened up a book of poems

And handed it to me

Written by an Italian poet

From the thirteenth century.

And every one of them words rang true

And glowed like burnin' coal

Pourin' off of every page

Like it was written in my soul from me to you,

Tangled up in blue.

I lived with them on Montague Street

In a basement down the stairs,

There was music in the cafes at night

And revolution in the air.

Then he started into dealing with slaves

And something inside of him died.

She had to sell everything she owned

And froze up inside.

And when finally the bottom fell out

I became withdrawn,

The only thing I knew how to do

Was to keep on keepin' on like a bird that flew,

Tangled up in blue.

So now I'm goin' back again,

I got to get to her somehow.

All the people we used to know

They're an illusion to me now.

Some are mathematicians

Some are carpenter's wives.

Don't know how it all got started,

I don't know what they're doin' with their lives.

But me, I'm still on the road

Headin' for another joint

We always did feel the same,

We just saw it from a different point of view,

Tangled up in blue.

Copyright © 1974 Ram's Horn Music

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...im sorry, was this the lyrics game, or the thread where 2 commies argue as to why Cash somehow wasnt the better part of the collobartion of these two? :D Interestingly, i read about Dylan coming back on The Johnny Cash show 2 months after this performance to hock hype his "Nashville Sklyine".

If were goin strictly on theme, and you 2 kids are all about the anti-war, no shit youre Dylan fans. I thought this was an overall "better artist" kinda thing.

All of the anti-war stuff that has been timeless for generations and will continue to be, not to mention the moving poetry and prose in the folk tradition...just a fluke. Dylan wanted to be Cash.

Darlin, i wouldnt say that....but i do wonder if Cash ever looked at the stars and thought "god, i wish i could write a song like 'the times they are a'changin", and then allow it to be used by an accounting firm commercial in the 90's" . Its a damn shame songs like Ring of Fire got in the way of jingles used to sell iTunes.

But hey...i may be a bit biased, here. Its been said that my old man spent an uncertain amount of time arguing with my momma to actually name me "Sue". Thankfully, irish bullheadedness and "Nicholas" won the day.

Darlin, i wouldnt say that....but i do wonder if Cash ever looked at the stars and thought "god, i wish i could write a song like 'the times they are a'changin", and then allow it to be used by an accounting firm commercial in the 90's" .  Its a damn shame songs like Ring of Fire got in the way of jingles used to sell iTunes.

Could be worse. 'Bout a year back, "Ring of Fire" was being considered for use in a commercial for Preparation H. Apparently, the song's co-writer, Merle Kilgore, thought the idea was absolutely hilarious, but thankfully it never happened as far as I know.

Could be worse. 'Bout a year back, "Ring of Fire" was being considered for use in a commercial for Preparation H. Apparently, the song's co-writer, Merle Kilgore, thought the idea was absolutely hilarious, but thankfully it never happened as far as I know.

I read about that....funny shit, but man im glad it didnt happen. that'd be right up there with the "johnny cashmachines". :D

I havent heard many covers of Cash's works, outside of an excellent rendition of "Wanted Man" by George Thorogood (sp). Marty Robbins & he traded songs back and forth tho, like "Ghost Riders in the Sky". I'm lookin forward to finally hearin Cash's take on "Streets of Loredo".

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

LOL ok ok...........Johnny Cash vs. Bob Dylan...........

Who do like better my mother or my father? Kinda tough ... ummm...

I voted for Dylan - but I do in fact dig Cash - Alot.

silo_03.gif

Here's a post on some thoughts that I just can't say any better than this...

Chances are, Johnny Cash didn't write poems for a lot of dudes. Granted, he wrote a few about working-class heroes like John Henry and Joe Bean, but he probably wasn't partial to whipping out Petrarchan sonnets about his friends and colleagues. It just doesn't seem like the Man in Black's style, which makes it all the more amazing that Cash would write a poem about Bob Dylan.

Reproduced as the liner notes to Dylan's ninth studio longplayer, Nashville Skyline, Cash calls Dylan "a hell of a poet" who could feel "the hate of flight, the love of right and the creep of blight at the speed of light." Never mind that Dylan (formerly, Bob Zimmerman) looks like a homeless rabbi on the album's cover; Cash was so taken with his new chum that he lent his rusty baritone to the lead track, "Girl from the North Country." Ironically, Nashville Skyline is Dylan's simplest album--free from the lyrical witticisms and revolutionary bluster of earlier classics like Blonde on Blonde--but perhaps this is what appealed to Cash. Nashville Skyline is a country record pure and simple--from the plaintive lope of "Lay Lady Lay" to the barnyard two-step of "Country Pie" and "Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You."

To his credit, Jim White has some skill with a pen, as well--although he tends to be a bit more long-winded than Dylan. Not a single song on Drill a Hole in that Substrate and Tell Me What You See--a mouthful in itself--clocks in at less than four minutes, whereas none on Nashville Skyline exceeds that mark. While this makes for some overlong opuses, it also gives White the space to cultivate narratives like "That Girl from Brownsville Texas" and "If Jesus Drove a Motor Home." (Incidentally, White claims a road-wizened Jesus would listen to Bob Dylan on cassette.) Or dig this line from "Combing My Hair in a Brand New Style": "I don't want no hoodoos, no voodoo gurus, no spooked out priesty-beasty, no strippers with pasties, self-professed saviors of my soul..." It goes on like that for another 50 or 100 words, but you get the idea: White has a way with words. He also has a heck of an ear for instrumental arrangements, which explore everything from country gospel to funky, inner-city jazz. Yeah, when he was alive, Johnny Cash would definitely have liked Jim White--just not enough to write a poem about him. But he did about Dylan. :huh:

"Of Bob Dylan"

There are those who do not imitate,

Who cannot imitate

But then there are those who emulate

At times, to expand further the light

Of an original glow.

Knowing that to imitate the living

Is mockery

And to imitate the dead

Is robbery

There are those

Who are beings complete unto themselves

Whole, undaunted,-a source

As leaves of grass, as stars

As mountains, alike, alike, alike,

Yet unalike

Each is complete and contained

And as each unalike star shines

Each ray of light is forever gone

To leave way for a new ray

And a new ray, as from a fountain

Complete unto itself, full, flowing

So are some souls like stars

And their words, works and songs

Like strong, quick flashes of light

From a brilliant, erupting cone.

So where are your mountains

To match some men?

This man can rhyme the tick of time

The edge of pain, the what of sane

And comprehend the good in men, the bad in men

Can feel the hate of fight, the love of right

And the creep of blight at the speed of light

The pain of dawn, the gone of gone

The end of friend, the end of end

By math of trend

What grip to hold what he is told

How long to hold, how strong to hold

How much to hold of what is told.

And Know

The yield of rend; the break of bend

The scar of mend

I'm proud to say that I know it,

Here-in is a hell of a poet.

And lots of other things

And lots of other things.

-- Johnny Cash :???:

nashville.jpg

Link

Nashville Skyline - 1969.

http://bobdylan.com/albums/nashville.html

Girl of the North Country

Nashville Skyline Rag

To Be Alone with You

I Threw It All Away

Peggy Day

Lay, Lady, Lay

One More Night

Tell Me That It Isn't True

Country Pie

Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You

Acting on a tip from the best bit torrent spies in the galaxy, below are some links for downloading some Cash and Dylan.

----------------------------------------

Johnny Cash & Bob Dylan Session

http://www.torrentspy.com/directory.asp?mo...tails&id=326419

Johnny_Cash-The_Legendary-2CD-2005

http://www.torrentspy.com/directory.asp?mo...tails&id=334605

Johnny Cash - Unearthed (Boxset)

http://www.torrentspy.com/directory.asp?mo...tails&id=273433

Bob Dylan-Blood On The Tracks

http://www.torrentspy.com/search.asp?mode=...uery=bob+dylan+

----------------------------------------------------------------

-Scorsese Does Dylan-

nodirectionhome.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...3214343-9543205

From the Hollywood Reporter : "No Direction Home," Scorsese's two-part, 31/2-hour film, airs September 26 and 27 as part of the public television network's "American Masters" series. The feature includes revealing new interviews with Dylan and a bounty of rare and unseen historical footage.

No Waiting! Paramount will issue the film on DVD on Sept. 20, SIX DAYS before the first airdate. You can order it now from Amazon.com.

'No Direction Home – Bob Dylan' will aim to lift the lid on Dylan's key creative years between 1961 and 1966. It was during this time that Dylan produced some of his best work including, 'Like a Rolling Stone', 'The Times They Are A-Changin', 'Highway 61 Revisited' and 'Blonde On Blonde'.

• 1 month later...

walkthelineposter00uc.jpg

WALK THE LINE MOVIE REVIEW

DIRECTOR: James Mangold

CAST: Joaquin Phoenix, Reese Witherspoon, Ginnifer Goodwin

'Walk the Line' is an exhilarating ode to the Man in Black

By WILLIAM ARNOLD

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER MOVIE CRITIC

The only bad thing about the Johnny Cash biopic, "Walk the Line," is its timing. Coming on the heels of -- and taking pretty much the same approach as -- last year's "Ray," one of the best of all Hollywood musical biographies, it's bound to suffer some in comparison.

Still, that's not much of a drawback. The movie is entertaining, reasonably true to the facts of its subject's life and full of music. It also beats down our objections to what, at first, seems bad casting, and communicates an infectious love for its characters.

The film opens midcareer as the Man in Black (Joaquin Phoenix) -- pill-dependent, emotionally troubled, creatively frustrated -- has come to Folsom Prison to record the famous 1969 "Folsom Prison Blues" album that will make him a pop-music icon.

From here, the movie flashes back to Cash's childhood as the second son of a dirt-poor Arkansas sharecropper, and chronicles the rosebud incident that will scar his life and make him an artist -- the tragic death of his beloved older brother.

Cut to Germany in the early '50s, where Cash is serving a hitch in the Air Force. Here he first picks up a guitar, gathers some musical ambitions and hears the voice of June Carter (Reese Witherspoon) on a delayed broadcast of the "Grand Ole Opry."

Out of the service, Cash is married to a woman who doesn't support his musical aspirations and is working as a door-to-door salesman. But he's playing his music on the side and, after some sage advice from legendary Memphis record producer Sam Phillips, he's soon on his way.

After that, he finds his drawly voice and thumpy sound, and he's able to get in on the ground floor of '50s rock 'n' roll, with hit after hit -- a rise that, in true biopic tradition, is soon marred by his personal demons and the appearance of a drug problem.

But what makes the film different is that it's structured as an epic love story. The first act builds to Cash's meeting with Carter, the second act traces his wild pursuit of her when she joins his band, and the third is her determined effort to save his life.

The stars click in their roles. Phoenix doesn't look much like Cash, and lacks his commanding stage presence, but he sings convincingly and exudes a potent charm. Witherspoon looks even less like Carter, but her bouncy perseverance sweeps aside all reservations.

Writer-director James Mangold ("Cop Land," "Girl, Interrupted") is often shaky on his period detail and he doesn't give Bob Dylan the credit he deserves for single-handedly resurrecting Cash's career, but otherwise stays on course and mostly avoids the cliches of the genre.

For some reason, the soundtrack omits "A Boy Named Sue" and "Don't Take Your Guns to Town" -- two novelty songs that helped define the Cash persona, but it includes most of his other hits, and the movie stands as an exhilarating panorama of his musical legacy.

* Personally looking forward to this film. :howyoudoin:

• 3 months later...

BILLBOARDAD314.JPG

Johnny "The Man in Black" Cash - Man in Black

Well, you wonder why I always dress in black,

Why you never see bright colors on my back,

And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone.

Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on.

I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down,

Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town,

I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime,

But is there because he's a victim of the times.

I wear the black for those who never read,

Or listened to the words that Jesus said,

About the road to happiness through love and charity,

Why, you'd think He's talking straight to you and me.

Well, we're doin' mighty fine, I do suppose,

In our streak of lightnin' cars and fancy clothes,

But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back,

Up front there ought 'a be a Man In Black.

I wear it for the sick and lonely old,

For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold,

I wear the black in mournin' for the lives that could have been,

Each week we lose a hundred fine young men.

And, I wear it for the thousands who have died,

Believen' that the Lord was on their side,

I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died,

Believen' that we all were on their side.

Well, there's things that never will be right I know,

And things need changin' everywhere you go,

But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,

You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,

And tell the world that everything's OK,

But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,

'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black.

• 4 months later...

this is me tying the score, though dylan should be Miles out in front... no disrespect to cash, but ive loved dylan since ive been a kid, still do, always will, nothing will Ever change that.... the man is inspirational, the way he at times cant carry a note but still sings, which shows soul and personality galore on his part, and the lyrics themselves are beautiful, most songs are like a long poem of sorts...

my personal favorites would be isis, or hurricane... just because they really do blow my mind

Archived