Hondo's Bar

Nintendo DS & Sony PSP

Jables

So The DS' just arrived in Oz, but I've heard a few board members mention their love already, so I was wondering who had one or knew anything about 'em. I got mine, but am still tinkering with the awesome Metroid demo that came with it. Any new tech I can expect to see in Oz soon? I was thinking they could create advance-cart-sized memory cards in, but i dunno what they got cookin'.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been holding out for the PSP here. I already reserved it and since they're upping the shipment amounts (supposedly), I'll be able to buy mine...let me rephrase, one will be available for my purchasing, since I already have money on it, however we shall see what my pockets allow... :D...on the day it comes out.

Ive only played one down at the local best buy, and its sharp. Metroid and (i think) Mario Kart looked really good, and the extra screen was helpful. Despite children trying to bang on/eat the device, the screen was still sensitive, so i was impressed by that.

I havent seen enough to go past a GBA/SP (i love that old-school one) tho - my main things on a handheld are game library, and battery life, m'self.

Well consider the DS has the exact same library as the SP, as well as new shit. And fully charged you can get 'bout ten hours playoutta it. (just restarted pokemon Sapphire, so it ain't bollocks). Woo, your endurance observation means i no longer have to be careful with it!!

To date, i've gone thru more mobile phones than I can count, and three mp3 players. This is why i won't get an Ipod.

You might still want to get some shock absorbers for that system...or you could always play it through some plastic bubble where you have to stick your hands in these robotic looking other-hands.

And with GBA SP I say that you can always get an emulator and some ROMS. There was a new Zelda game that I saw on an SP in the game store yesterday when I went to pick up Devil May Cry 3. (I'll post about that in the other thread) I'm prolly gonna look for the Zelda rom on some torrent site seeing as how torrents are being targeted.

Speaking of which...what's next? After torrents are gone, what will we have to transfer files, short of a discreet server... :D

Im fairly certain my PC would run a GBA emu like shit. I do wish i had one of those GBA adapters for my Gamecube tho, there's a few games id love to play.

Dante, what's in the PSP lineup that you liked, again? I know Metal Gear looked sharp, but i wasnt sure if you were a fan....

ps

NES%20GBA-SP.jpg

I like the MG series, don't love it. But MGA looked good for the PSP. However, it turns out that it's a card game...don't know if that's all there is to it, but it looked like that. I like RPGs better, but I'm prolly gonna opt away from Untold Legends because it looks like Gauntlet Legends. There's no style to it. I reserved Rengoku as the first title to get. It's an Action/Corridor Shooter in third person POV. Much like Slave Zero on the DC, but no jumping. (short-version premise: Android that can attach weapons to five places of his body and destroy other androids). The game looks like a fun little portable thing. But I might actually just toss that all out and get Tony Hawk Underground 2 Remix (THUG2R) until something better (*cough*GTA*cough*) comes out for it. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Another use for the PSP, looks kinda cool....Newsarama

media?id=1653468&type=lg.gif

MANGA, THE KILLER APP OF THE PSP?

It’s the hottest personal entertainment product since the iPod, able to handle games, photos, music, video and more...but will manga be the killer app for Sony’s PSP?

In an article at 1Up.com, it’s reported that scanslated manga (manga translated into English by English-speaking fans) is the hottest upload for the new device. According to the report, manga began showing up on the PSPs days after the portable gaming system debuted in Japan.

The PSP’s format allows for images to be viewed as jpegs (after being uploaded on the rewriteable Memory Stick) on the 480 x 272 LCD screen. The article mentions that there are literally hundreds (with more showing up every hour) of scanslated manga to be found, including Naoki Urasawa’s 20th Century Boys, Freesia by Jiro Matsumoto, and Homunculus by Hideo Yamamoto.

The PSP’s relatively small size makes it an ideal viewer for manga pages, which typically have fewer panels than Western comics.

Of course, as is noted, there are some solidly gray legal areas invovled with both scanslation and downloading manga for use on a PSP.

One can only assume that some savvy manga publisher is already eyeing the PSP as a functional medium for an upcoming release, or at least a test-market of previously released manga.

Click here for the full article.

media?id=1653872&type=lg.gif

Yeah, also...lets say I get the 512mb memory stick. All I have to do is download an episode of...oh, say...Buffy the Vampire Slayer (~400MB) and watch it. Pretty pointless to just download an episode and watch it on the PSP like that instead of just watching it on my PC. So I won't be using it for that. The majority of my memory stick (and I am getting 512mb) is for music. The manga isn't a bad idea. I can prolly download whole comic books and just read them on trips.

Yeah, i do like that option. And at 512 MB (average comic is anywhere from 4-11 MB depending on quality of the scan), you can still fit a fair amount on that, and ive been archiving like mad, so lemme know when you want Hellblazer or somethin else to read there.

Yeah, i do like that option.  And at 512 MB (average comic is anywhere from 4-11 MB depending on quality of the scan), you can still fit a fair amount on that, and ive been archiving like mad, so lemme know when you want Hellblazer or somethin else to read there.

Hellblazer? I'm fucking THERE. You don't have Hitman anywhere, do you? I bought all the trades they made, but that's only through issue 28 or so... I've never found more than one or two issues in a comics shop.

*Z*

haha...i need to make a "bootlegging request" thread over in comics....hate to take away from my favorite industry, but some shit's too hard to find.

Ive archived 10+ gigs of comics, still more comin here & there too....cant really post a list, but ill make said thread in a while. DG - Hitman wont be hard to find, and well worth it.

Archived