Hondo's Bar

Cooking with SuperE

SuperEeyore

Ah, good. See i was plannin a "cooking with la lindsay" once a week venture when i moved in here, but ive been without groceries for weeks now, so....i'm doin what i can.

dear SE,

Im low on food. I got some mixed veggies & mad starches (shells, potatoes etc), but ive also got a prolly dry & freezer-burned churassco skirt steak inna fridge (hope its still good) and an unopened bag of shrmipys in the freezer.

miss Heartless gave me an excellent recipe for shrimp pasta, but i dont have all the stuff she calls for, between mushrooms, sauce, etc....what can i make outta this that doesnt take the whole day?

ps i got cooking oil and some minor spices too, tell me what else im lookin for here. things which can be pocketed easily in grocery stores work, too.

What are good spices to use in beef and/or a mexican dish. (other than the crap that comes in the packages.

and how do you bake cookies, and make them soft as opposed to crunchy? is it the butter vs margerine deal?

It all depends on what your using the beef for. As far as mexican goes, those pacakges you speak of are they from Goya? I mean they have awsome stuff. I would use the beef buillon for some color and flavor, salt, pepper or I like to use jalapeño juice to make it spicy, there are also various mexican spices you can use too cilantro, cummin, (I know start giggling) azafran, the list goes on and on. But since I am not mexican and I am not sure what type of dish you want to prepare here is a web site that can help you with that.

Mexican Cuisine

Now as far as cookies go you have to watch them. Make sure you dont have them too close to the heat that makes them cook faster. If you take them out just a few mins before they are supposed to be done then you shall have soft cookies. Margerine I find it better cause it wont fry the cookies, it always seemed to me that butter does.

Ah, good.  See i was plannin a "cooking with la lindsay" once a week venture when i moved in here, but ive been without groceries for weeks now, so....i'm doin what i can.

dear SE,

Im low on food.  I got some mixed veggies & mad starches (shells, potatoes etc), but ive also got a prolly dry & freezer-burned churassco skirt steak inna fridge (hope its still good) and an unopened bag of shrmipys in the freezer.

miss Heartless gave me an excellent recipe for shrimp pasta, but i dont have all the stuff she calls for, between mushrooms, sauce, etc....what can i make outta this that doesnt take the whole day?

ps i got cooking oil and some minor spices too, tell me what else im lookin for here.  things which can be pocketed easily in grocery stores work, too.

not much to work with here...but from now on make sure you portion your food and use freezer bags, it helps keep the food fresh and it also helps plan your meals better and the food wont go to waste. Do you have tomato sauce, oregano, cummin, garlic or onions? Cause if you do you have a sauce. Take the shirmp and boil them that way you can have something to put in the pasta (which you didn't mention you had.)

If you go to the grocery store and head to the spices section I am sure you can find little bags from Goya that carries all these things.

As for your churasco here's a little reciepe that you can use in the mean time...

this one serves 4

3 TBSP Minced Onion

1 small chili pepper, seeded and minced

4 TBSP Lime Juice

1 TBSP Olive Oil

2 tsp. fresh minced Cilantro

salt to taste

4 8-10 oz thin steak

PREPARATION

In a food processor, process all ingredients except steak into a coarse sauce.

Cook steak to desired doness. Pour 2 TBSP of sauce over each steak.

Serve.

If you dont have a food processor...a blender can do the same just don't puree.

well the beef I was referring to was for hamburger meat. that and taco beef. Do you crush the bullion or do you simply stir it in...comes in form of cubes right?

and thanks reference the cookies, I like me soft cookies  :D

Mcormick makes a seasoning that is just for meat and they also make one specific one that is for tacos..I love it.

SuperE, is it only you or can other people put recipes in here too?  If so, I would like to post my instant oregano-french onion mashed potato recipe!

Yes others are very welcome to post their recipes.

And with that said...I give you

SHEPHERDS PIE (POOR MANS PIE) 

1 lb. ground beef

1 can peas

1 can sweet corn

1 medium onion, diced

1/3 c. sugar

8 medium potatoes

2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Boil potatoes, mash and season to taste with milk and butter.

Brown ground beef and onion with salt and pepper. When cooked, add peas, corn, sugar. Let simmer until heated through.

In 13x9 pan place meat and vegetable mixture in bottom of pan. Cover with mashed potatoes and sprinkle cheese on top.

Place in oven on BROIL until cheese is bubbly or light brown.

Po' Girls Oregano French-Onion Instant Mashed Potatoes

**note: I'm not much of a measurer...I kinda eye-ball it**

2.5 cups of water

1.5 cups of milk

Bag of Gov'ment Mashed Potatoes (if you don't got, the regular kind will do)

1 tsp. Butter

1 tbsp. Oregano

Salt

2 triangles Laughing Cow French Onion Cheese

1 tbsp. Grated Parmesan Cheese

Put water to boil with salt, butter & Oregano. Remove from heat and add milk then add the instant mashed taters to wanted consistency. Add the two pieces of cheese and parmesan and mix well...VIOLA!

• 3 weeks later...

Baked Chicken Parmesan w/ Linguine

1 pkg. (15 oz.) Marinara Sauce

1-1/4 cups water

1 Tbsp. oil

2 Tbsp. 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese

1 tsp. parsley flakes

1/4 tsp. garlic powder

1 pkg. (9 oz.) Linguine, uncooked

4 small boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 lb.)

1 cup Shredded Low-Moisture Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese

PREHEAT oven to 400°F. Mix marinara sauce, water and oil in medium saucepan; bring just to boil on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, mix Parmesan cheese, parsley and garlic powder until well blended.

SPRAY 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Separate linguine noodles; place in prepared dish. Pour marinara sauce mixture over noodles; press noodles into sauce to completely coat noodles with sauce. Top with chicken; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese mixture and mozzarella cheese. Cover tightly with foil.

BAKE 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove foil. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sunday roast beef (my fav)

-Small lump of round roast

-handful of potatoes

-whatever veg you want (usually carrots and broccoli for me)

-homemade yorkshire puddings too!

Season beef approx one hour before cooking with salt and pepper, and drizzle chilli and garlic oil all over it.

Preheat oven to 180 degrees and slow cook the beef for one and a half hours. peel and wash veg, add potatoes to oven with about an hour to go so they get really crispy.

While all that goes on prepare the batter for the puds.

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

2 large eggs

1 cup whole milk

4 tablespoons vegetable oil or reserved beef fat from prime rib

blend flour, salt, eggs, and milk until just smooth. Chill batter, covered 30 minutes.

Arrange four 5 1/2-inch pie plates in a large shallow baking pan and spoon 1 tablespoon oil or beef fat into each. Put baking pan in middle of oven 5 minutes to heat oil. Quickly pour 1/2 cup batter into each pie plate and bake in middle of oven until puddings are puffed and golden brown, about 18 minutes. With tongs remove puddings from pie plates and serve immediately.

With only 20 mins to go steam your chosen veg and make your gravy!

but don't forget to leave your beef to stand for 10 mins before carving so the juices don't escape!

Enjoy

Archived