Hondo's Bar

Greatest Hip-Hop GROUP

Reverend Jax

Who is the Greatest GROUP in Hip-Hop History  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I recently discovered that I tend to like Hip-Hop Groups way better than solo artists. I guess I just get bored with one MC's voice after a few minutes. Anyway, I left off a few big groups (Bone Thugs, TLC, etc) but nothing I thought anyone would vote for over the rest of these groups. I can see any of these groups being worthy of at least a vote or two. If you really want to vote for a group not on the poll, hollah and I'll edit it. I'm debating between a few myself.

I wonder if Nick will think for more than a quarter of a second before voting for Wu-Tang.

...nope.

Tho i do fuckin love Tribe Called Quest, and have much love for other native tongue works like De La (and the Roots are awesome), the Wu's body of work is too extensive & overall strong (my opinion) to be topped.

Glad the G-Unot's not up here.

• 1 month later...

I'm sure the boy does. It's so funny, I was talking to the manager now taking over the Smoothie King in Doral (her name is Nichole) about Hip-Hop. We were hanging out after hours chiling, and she was talking about Public Enemy and Biggie and TuPac and Black Sheep annd she said "Y'know, those are all good acts, but there's one that's got them all bet: Wu-Tang Clan." So I said "Man I got a friend (Nick) who's the biggest Wu-Tang fan." And she says "He don't know nothing about Wu-Tang!" I was cracking up. She don't even know Nick or anything about him and she was basically calling him a New Jack. Of course, I showed her my ODJ ID, which I keep in my wallet, and she was giggling for like 3 weeks.

Ah, come on Nick. It's a shame not everyone can make the most informed decision, but the B-Boys are lacking in worthiness of the votes. Their body of work speaks for itself too. How many hi-hop groups been together over 20 years now? And I don't know if you heard 2004's To The 5 Boroughs, btu they still sound tight as fuck.

i didnt go for 5 boroughs as much, but the DJ Green Lantern mix worked for me. Im not even one of the "its not paul's botique" people, cause i know one album from another...im just sayin, most college kids have heard them - or at least brass monkey/fight for your right/etc - but not the other names 's all.

But no, the Beasties have a solid body of work, and its just a poll.

Ok...

NWA couldnt show luv to each other as they split up into different labels and spit the most violent lyrics to each other, which they sincerely meant; whether it be commercial or underground. While Public enemy kinda got lost in the abyss of their rebellious message.

Wu-Tang got overwhelmed with their commercial "solo" successes and will most likely NEVER release another album as a group ever again (especially after the passing of the ODB).

All the other groups listed did not even make a close enough persistant influence to be considered a legendary group except Run-DMC.

To this day they are accomplished entrepreneurs (did i spell that rite? o_O) still makin wizads of cizash with their phat-farm line etc...

And don't forget that they brought Hip Hop to the MAINSTREAM! the most ground breaking movement in modern black entertainment history.

NOTHING can be greater than the name of these 3 men (as they honor Jam Master J with every breath)

Run DMC... hands down gentlemen...

Good pick, man. Id argue with:

While Public enemy  kinda got lost in the abyss of their rebellious message.

i dunno, man, after the afro-centric fad went down, they kept making music, just didnt get play...granted, their last few albums cant touch the "it takes a nation" or "fear of black planet", but even so...its just sad to see Flava Flav as a joke on MTV.

Wu-Tang got overwhelmed with their commercial "solo" successes and will most likely NEVER release another album as a group ever again (especially after the passing of the ODB).

Hey now, you can argue they got commerical, but as a group, they havnet put out a weak album yet. Their solo stuff has largely been strong, i think. This year alone, Raekwon

but yeah, if were talking influential, i stand by the Wu, but Run DMC is hard to beat in that dept...fuck, theyre tougher than leather.

Very true that Wu Tang still to this day has a rediculously good chemistry together with songs... But thats like saying the "black album" was better than "Reasonable Doubt"; now thats just ludacris.

I liked Wutang forever but Wu Tang just sounds 10x better solo, any album.

The reason Wu seems more influencial is because we're talkin a different gen of artists. Run DMC will always be icons and has been recognized as such, and still hasnt gotten enough for their accomplishments in my opinion, but da wu is/was not in the industry with as much weight on their shoulders as the founding fathers of popculture hip-hop were.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i think they had more to do with RJD2 and some of those chicago guys, i could be wrong - i tried out an album, wasnt bad but wasnt my thing.

Putthin them about Run, NWA, Roots, Wu, Outkast and the like is an odd move, but eh, to each their own i guess. fuck that, kid's crazy.

Archived