Hondo's Bar

Metal Gear Solid 4

The NZA

ok, so im gearing up for another playthrough, this time on hard, just to get the solar gun & be ready for big boss mode. im uncertain which badges im after on this run through, though - assassin's is tempting but i wasnt as big a fan so i dunno yet.

still trying to figure out how to take out the bosses in a decent speed, the 3rd BB took me a while, personally. oh, and did you have to tranq them to death to get the award?

Be specific. What award? Stop being horrible!

Big Boss, my ultimatest goal.

guide makes it sound like you gotta tranq all 4 BB's and even tranq ammo, stun grenades etc are truly that scarce, im guessing ill really need that solar gun thing to shake some loose.

im also wondering if having the game on pause still runs the clock, cause that would suck.

Big Boss, my ultimatest goal.

guide makes it sound like you gotta tranq all 4 BB's and even tranq ammo, stun grenades etc are truly that scarce, im guessing ill really need that solar gun thing to shake some loose.

im also wondering if having the game on pause still runs the clock, cause that would suck.

It's never that scarce, really. There's pretty much every type of tranq ammo on the field with every single beast, which magically reappears after they become a beauty. Like Magic. MAGIC!

Solar gun was never really necessary. What IS necessary is that one-handed shotgun from the start of act 2 after you save those ungrateful jerks. Would've made Act 3's chase a whooooole lot simpler.

You can kill the beast but you must tranq the beauty for no kills.

You can kill the beast but you must tranq the beauty for no kills.

oh, shit - so what stops you from just unloading all the badass guns you have at that point? ive got all these anti-artillery weapons and that rail gun and shit, i might as well just dump everything on the bosses, then - only chance i get for lethal fun.

oh, shit - so what stops you from just unloading all the badass guns you have at that point? ive got all these anti-artillery weapons and that rail gun and shit, i might as well just dump everything on the bosses, then - only chance i get for lethal fun.

Nothing, really. Only thing that stopped me was the need to get the solar gun. It's why I only was lethal on crying wolf. Had to be non-lethal on crying beauty, but whatever. Not a big deal.

so mean. i got nothin' but love and like half your gaming skills (see: sigma), and im just asking the big brother program to help me one day land Big Boss, too.

im on big boss hard, at the end of act 1 -

trying to take out the frog crew with tranqs to get the first statue, but akiba/meryl/whoever die a lot. MK2, Mos & shotty with o-rings or whatever are my only friends.

at the end of this playthrough, ill have a few more ipod songs, both disguises (missed one somehow), the solar gun components and by act 5, ill pretty much wipe out derbin's stock of tranq/emo ammo. any idea how to get him to sell rations? and fuck me if i cant afford that stealth suit/bandana.

so mean. i got nothin' but love and like half your gaming skills (see: sigma), and im just asking the big brother program to help me one day land Big Boss, too.

im on big boss hard, at the end of act 1 -

trying to take out the frog crew with tranqs to get the first statue, but akiba/meryl/whoever die a lot. MK2, Mos & shotty with o-rings or whatever are my only friends.

at the end of this playthrough, ill have a few more ipod songs, both disguises (missed one somehow), the solar gun components and by act 5, ill pretty much wipe out derbin's stock of tranq/emo ammo. any idea how to get him to sell rations? and fuck me if i cant afford that stealth suit/bandana.

Well if you get the big boss emblem, you'll be getting a free stealth suit/bandana.

You only have room for 50 tranq ammo of each type - mosin, handgun, shotgun. I'd imagine the same's true of the emotive ammo.

You can't use rations for the Big Boss Emblem either. If you're just dying too much on big boss hard... try harder. :p

As far as going down that section - you'll end up doing it enough to memorize enemy appearance patterns. Plan around them. You have other friends - like the sleeping gas mine, for instance.

thank you for the advice, sir. pausing to post here on hondo's left me with like four hours of act 1, 20+ healing items and alerts. im really gonna have to be more careful next playthrough. :wolvy:

got me the froggy statue, so my preparation goal's 1/5th done! seriously though, how does drebin sell rations, at least for this playthrough? im clearly gonna need em.

thank you for the advice, sir. pausing to post here on hondo's left me with like four hours of act 1, 20+ healing items and alerts. im really gonna have to be more careful next playthrough. :wolvy:

got me the froggy statue, so my preparation goal's 1/5th done! seriously though, how does drebin sell rations, at least for this playthrough? im clearly gonna need em.

He never does. Not even on Liquid Easy.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Big Boss Extreme challenge, day 1.5

jesus christ, these guards can hear me fucking thinking. the early bits of act 1 are a huge pain without facecamo much less your weapons. i literally spent an hour of my life on the room right before you get all your gear back; its not that impossible but i just kept getting spotted by somebody or other and its one of those times you swear youre doing it verbatim each time and someone somehow catches you at a different spot. so glad that's over.

The solar gun is awesome (and hilarious), totally worth it. it holds a really long charge so im not worried about it running out for a while to come; we'll see if that holds by acts 3 & 4. it was really worth the effort though; takes a while to shoot but just getting to tranq people with an infinite ammo weapon, however slow, really helps. Also, having the middle eastern disguise saves a shit-ton of time too; you can just literally run through the underground cavern and one other screen with former enemies more or less high-fiving you.

Advent Palace took a few playthroughs and about 15 minutes of game time, just finished it and im at about 45 minutes total, still 0 kills, 0 alerts, 0 heals (ipod + sailor song, youre my best friend). strategic placement of sleeping mines made my life a lot easier. i should finish out act 1 today in hopefully under an hour, we'll see. god knows id have more time but every time i crouch-walk anywhere, god tells someone about it, so i pretty much belly-crawled through the middle east like my legs didnt work.

Big Boss Extreme challenge, day 3

act 2 was indeed unkind, though it went a lot better after that first big area. the guide i read was right; if you can somehow keep the rebels alive, despite their clear fucking pacifism, clearing the room becomes a lot easier. after that, just crawl, crawl, crawl, and i still enjoy turning night vision on & off quickly to draw the frog troops out.

Octopus took some work till i realized the Rail Gun truly is the way to go (*nods to mal*) but later on when she's just gunning for you, a 50 cal to the face gets her to calm her shit on down. That, and stay the fuck on top of the bed or pretty much anywhere else before she does her katamari of death thing. jesus.

The drebin chase was cool and really not all that hard, just keep feeling paranoid & checking to make sure i didnt kill anyone by accident. Honestly, the marketplace at the end gave me more trouble than anything cause i insisted on railing the last 2 gekkos and claiming the chaff grenades hidden by the exit; im hopeful theyll make bits of act 4 more doable.

starting act 3 in right under 2 hours feels good. apparently, the trick to the noir level here is to just stow whatever weapon you've got equipped, and where any other facecamo you like - for me, i think its Otacon's time to do some field work. The guards dont care about me, and if i keep my distance, the resistance guy doesnt care either. this should be easy enough, though by all accounts, im in for some hellish times with the awesome motorcycle chase scene soon. Hopefully, Raven wont take me all freaking night either.

silence, Cooking Mama. men are speaking of manly games here.

seriously, fanboy or not, you should bow down to the efforts here: go through the game without being seen once, killing anyone, using a single healing item, on the hardest setting...in under 5 hours. Shit's insane. I get this done, ill go back & do Brass Balls a lot easier just for having this under my belt.

Well when you put it like that, :sad:

MGS is all finesse faggotry though. Playing UT for the first time since my casual internet cafe 03 days, I can see why people refer to games like Halo as stackhat & kneepad gameplay. Fuck Newt still though..

eh, on easy (and even on normal, for the first few acts) you can play MGS4 like a retarded rambo and get by, but im digging the way im infiltrating shit without any motherfucker knowing, then unloading a 50 cal into a bosses face and moving right along. to each their own.

now, my next playthrough with stealth camoflauge and unlimited ammo is gonna be a mountain of bodies from which to hide behind if im so inclined.

Mal - how many tries did the motorcycle chase scene take you? jesus, props again for doing it without the solar gun.

See, Solar gun... It sounds like the girly version of the water pistol Mario uses to clean snetient graphiti in Mario Sunshine.

FLUBB? I love that guy!

Quit being a little bitch girl about it, Irish, and do it. ((y'all thought I was gonna bash on Skeet, didn't'cha?))

Big Boss Extreme challenge, going into day 4

so act 3 took a small bit of practice - learning who to tranq, where to hide the body etc to keep the resistance guy moving, but there's a lot less fear when soliders/jeeps dont care who you are. Not bad at all.

the motorcycle chase, however, can eat a dick. Honestly, if it wasnt for conserving solar gun ammo for the slow-mo scenes and spamming stun/smoke grenades, i doubt idve made it. The MK22 worked for frogs jumping on the van, and the twin-barrel actually proved useful twice (via auto-aim, natch) but i admittedly jacked the PS3's clock a few days ahead between scenes/saves to get a smidgen of life back, and it counted. no shame here.

Raven's bit've a joke with the rail gun, nice quick fight - ended act 3 at 2:35, well under 3 hours so i felt great there.

Act 4 was smooth sailing up to Crying Wolf, and now...well, its a bit've a mission to keep everyone asleep long enough to find & hit Wolf, much less not get slaughtered by her (stoopid pounce attack takes like 3/4 of my life!). I can usually get her to halfway down with 2 good beads of the rail gun (on separate occasions; i cant seem to hit her more than once when finding her) before some idiot hears me breathing in a snowstorm or some shit. dammit.

gonna try a bit more, then call it a night. I should be able to tie it all up this week.

Big Boss Extreme challenge, day 4 - COMPLETE

So yeah, Crying Wolf got herself dealt with before i went to bed last night. really wasnt so bad if you more or less kept her in an area with the gaurds tranq'd and not on "caution" so you dont have to worry about sound. Only bitch of it was, it took upwards of 15 minutes, making it my longest fight.

The rest of act 4 really wasnt that bad, especially since id saved a few chaff grenades. Vamp, by the way, is a joke with the solar gun, and the all-out gekko fight is much, much easier with the 50 cal - you can kill them in one hit if its dead-on, 3 at the most if you're not. The escape & awesome fight at the act's end really weren't difficult either.

Act 5 is short - Mantis was a problem for a while, but eventually i just resolved myself to dumping the V-ring shotgun ammo id been saving on anyone she brought near me, and just put parts on the M4 and never let up on her & her dolls. Her stupid blade things kill you quick, but apparently if you hit her while theyre coming at you, she loses concentration & they drop. Very helpful.

Final fight was a special kind of bitch until i sorted a strategy that often involved strong punching, and mastering the range to missing, provoking his counter/dodging it then following back up. The timing's everything, and christ knows i dread having to do it again for the trophy when its out, but at this point, no big deal.

Final time: 4:06. Was hoping for under 4 by the end there, but there's only so much you can skip at the end. Pictures for authenticity!

1215616063.jpg

1215618193.jpg

Id like to thank gamefaqs, konami's guide (for at least the helpful items to prep myself with on the play beforehand), sen for running intel when she could, and of course, maldron for making me believe in myself, through constant, soul-crushing insults. :love:

seriously debating going back for all the rest of the emblems later on, ive got damn near half of them now.