Hondo's Bar

Metal Gear Solid 4

The NZA

True.

Wikipedia's article mentions that the game's looking to be around 10+ years into the future past the Big Shell incident of MGS2, so most bets for Snake's age increase lie on cellular degeneration (from being a clone of the Les Enfants Terribles project), or mebbe Naomi's dormant FOXDIE from the ending of part 1 is finaly kicking in.

Supposed to be the last of the series, barring sidestories, but it looks like eveyrone's gonna be there - Otacon, Raiden, even Big Boss.

PS Kojima Productions launced an english site a while back, which is good, given i couldnt piece much together from his blog.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hmm neat twist at the end. I'm guessing that Metal Gear 4 is going to push the core elements of the series, five hours of cutscenes, two seconds of game play (where you press x to shoot) followed by a two hour ending sequence.

Proves nothing, but I'd still tend to believe it. Games like Metal Gear Solid 2 or the last couple of Silent Hills were able to look so good compared to something like GTA because they had tiny maps and load screens every two minutes.

The polygon amount for Snake's moustache is same as one enemy soldier in MGS3... only in the moustache!

I think that's the new phrase du jour.

• 2 months later...

i think its marked as a launch title; if it goes down that way, itll be the finest one PS systmes have ever seen.

Jont - i just noticed your links, gotta check em soon, thanks man. Just saw a newer trailer the other day with more characters; Raiden looks...inhuman.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It has a date. This is the time you're going to lose your admin.

PC-1280_1024.jpg

Also, if you're nearly the fan of this I am, you need to get a pre-order in, at least by april. The Metal Gear Saga 2 DVD should be a good catch-up, but the online beta is where it's at! Just waiting on news of a Limited Edition...

KONAMI DIGITAL ENTERTAINMENT REVEALS DETAILS FOR METAL GEAR SOLID®4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS

EL SEGUNDO, CA - February 28, 2008 - Following opening remarks made during the General Session at the 2008 Destination PlayStation retailer event in Scottsdale AZ, Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. confirmed several new initiatives related to Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, including a North American street date, online multiplayer, and pre-sell program.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is the final chapter in the saga of Solid Snake which sends him around the world in pursuit of his arch nemesis, Liquid Ocelot. Armed with new gadgets and abilities, Solid Snake must shift the tides of war into his favor, using the chaos of the battlefield to infiltrate deep into enemy territory. In his globetrotting final mission, Snake must sneak deep into enemy locations in the Middle East, South America, and other corners of the Earth to foil Liquid Ocelot's plans for total world domination.

Street Date

Opening remarks revealed that the final chapter in the saga of super spy Solid Snake is expected to arrive in stores in North America on Thursday June 12th, 2008. "Blockbuster events and premieres are a tradition of the summer," said Kazumi Kitaue, Konami Digital Entertainment Inc. Chairman and CEO. "We anticipate that Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots fits that bill perfectly, and consumers will be waiting in line to get their copy of the game just like it's a hit Hollywood movie."

Metal Gear Online Starter Pack

It was also confirmed today that Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots will launch with the Metal Gear Online "Starter Pack" supporting online gameplay. In addition to the single player experience, gamers will also be able to take the action online with up to 16 players and battle it out using the latest weapons and stealth techniques.

Pre-Sell Program

Beginning April 2008, consumers that pre-order Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots will receive the Metal Gear Saga 2.0 DVD, containing a Prologue that recaps the Metal Gear franchise, a 20th Anniversary retrospective, character bios for Big Boss, Liquid Snake, Solidus Snake, and Solid Snake, plus a collection of international trailers of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. This pre-order package also contains an insert with a download code and special instructions for accessing the Metal Gear Online beta test when it goes live in late April. This special pre-order package will only be available while supplies last.

mgs4_box_up.jpg

itemKUB-229p2_1.jpg

main-img.gif

man, i want in on this beta so bad. I honestly didnt get to play Metal Gear Online with Subsistence, but i understand this one's gonna have a lot more going on, with hacking enemy team's comm and such. Id love to lead/be part of a Hondo's or Kotaku clan for this one if it comes out even halfway decent.

Again, the bit coming with the official game is said to be a "starter pack" to introduce people to it, but the full package is a separate game. Here's the details so far from the wiki:

The game will feature 16-player online battles. Players can upgrade skills that their character can use such as hacking, CQC mastery, drowning, tomfoolery, enhanced lock-on, and more, all of which can be leveled up. The player can keep tabs on allies and enemies with nanomachines.

Players will have the ability to "hack" another player's character to steal information from their nanomachines, such as the locations of his/her allies. This is how the SOP system from Metal Gear Solid 4 is going to be implemented as a gameplay feature in MGO.

New information has revealed that there will 70+ weapon/attachment combinations in Metal Gear Online.

So hyped. also, this is both true and hilarious. The non-existent 360 port so many cried over, in all its splendor.

• 4 weeks later...