Hondo's Bar

Björk

The NZA

I've only heard the first single...wasn't impressed. Pagan Poetry is the shit. If nothing else she has the most interesting music videos, I love watching those.

I think she's a bit off, has anyone else seen where she kicked the reporters ass becuase the reporter approached her when she had her son with her? that was beyond awesome. big kudos for her for keeping her personal life...personal. the whole swan dress thing was silly, she wears some crazy ass crap sometimes, but i find people that go out in public looking absoulutley ridiculous either annoy me (ahem crazy spears) or mystify me (Bjork, Tori Amos).

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

bjork-biophilia-site.jpg

Release date: 10/26/2011

Track list:

01. Virus

02. Cosmogony

03. Dark Matter

04. Thunderbolt

05. Moon

06. Crystalline

07. Hollow

08. Sacrifice

09. Mutual Core

10. Solstice

The Biophilia project consists of five parts: The album, the Apps, the live shows, a 90-minute Biophilia documentary (background, process, etc.), and her new website. The concept, or at least part of it:

Björk has collaborated with app developers, scientists, writers, inventors, musicians and instrument makers to create a unique multi-media exploration of the universe and its physical forces – particularly those where music, nature and technology meet. The project is inspired by and explores these relationships between musical structures and natural phenomena, from the atomic to the cosmic.

The songs on “Biophilia” will also be released as apps — one for each song, to be sold as modules in a larger app for the entire album — for the iPad and iPhone. (The developers have not yet decided whether to reprogram the apps for Android devices.) Along with animated graphics, some of which were shown on overhead video screens during the concert, the apps hold not only detailed analysis of the songs — including both conventional and newly devised music notation — but also gamelike excursions through the music, visions of scientific phenomena and the potential to be used as musical instruments themselves. A listener can hear a song, see its structure, play along or completely disassemble some songs and turn their components into something new.

complex even by her standards, but it sounds interesting.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...
Björk has announced Vulnicura, her follow-up to 2011's Biophilia. It will be released in March. Read her announcement note below.

Venezuelan producer Arca, aka Alejandro Ghersi, produced six of the songs and co-wrote two with Björk. (Previously, he contributed to Kanye West's Yeezus and collaborated with FKA twigs.) The Haxan Cloak also contributed production and mixed the album.

ID6U7Yol.jpg

Damn--Bjork was a big discovery for me back in college--Telegram & Homogenic especially. I was with her until Vespertine then trailed off. I should go back and actually give Biophilia a close listen as all the interactive stuff threw me off and I never gave the music a fair shake. I'm actually excited to see what she'll come up with at this stage of the game.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Björk announces new album Fossora out this fall

Björk has announced a new album. Fossora, the follow-up to 2017's Utopia, will arrive in the fall, The Guardian reports. The album includes a recurring sextet of bass clarinets, a smattering of gabber beats, and a theme—reflected in the title, based on the word "digger" in Latin—of mushroom life. It also includes two songs written for Björk's late mother, the environmental activist Hildur Rúna Hauksdóttir, who died in 2018.

Fossora features a song with Serpentwithfeet and backing vocals from Björk's son, Sindri, and daughter, Ísadóra, as well as contributions from Gabber Modus Operandi, the Indonesian dance duo who brewed up a style that they and Björk termed "biological techno."

Björk is also planning a podcast series about her discography later this year.

‘I got really grounded and loved it’: how grief, going home and gabber built Björk’s new album

For Björk’s 10th album, an unexpectedly happy lockdown in Reykjavík, her mother’s death and her youngest child leaving the nest pushed her to consider her roots. ‘I’m a homebody,’ she concluded – as long as the local swimming pool is open

also finally saw her live earlier this year, fantastic show!

• 1 month later...