Hondo's Bar

Pi, 1998...

The mathematician Maximillian Cohen (Sean Gullette) is tormented by a severe migraine since he was a kid, and he uses many pills to reduce his painful headaches. He is a lonely man, and his only friend is his former professor Sol Robeson (Mark Margolis). Max has the following assumptions, which rules his life: (1) Mathematics is the language of nature; (2) Everything around us can be represented and understood from numbers; (3) If you graph the numbers in any systems, patterns emerge. Therefore there are patterns everywhere in nature. Based on these principles, Max is trying to figure out a system to predict the behavior of the stock market. Due to his research, Max is chased by a Wall Street company with obvious interest in the results of his studies, and by an orthodox Jew follower of the Torah, who believes that this long string of numbers is a code sent from God.

what are your thoughts.... i consider this film to better requiem for a dream, same director...

I'll agree with you there, spot on. This really does take a high throne above Requiem. I saw it on late night t.v once, I was blown away completely. The soundtrack ( Currently in the works thanks to you, DOJ ) is fucking fantastic, real atmospheric, dark, gritty, electronic music.

For anyone that's seen Requiem, I can almost garentee that you'll enjoy this film.

I disagree that such a guarentee can be made. I enjoyed Pi (saw it for the first time back in 1999, I've owned it since about 2000 or 2001), but there are alot of people that didn't liek it, including people who did like Requiem. I believe it was the now imfamous elusive Hondonian, MyLeakyBucket, who loved this guys movies (what's his name? Darren Afonorsky or something).

Anyway, Pi is a good film, but it has its flaws, both artistically and logically/mathematically, but it's thought provoking and engaging nonetheless.

As far as I know, he's finished making The Fountain, which will my money says will be either great or truly terrible, but nowhere in between. Maybe I'm wrong, but a movie that begins five hundred years in the past and ends five hundred years in the future can't be mediocre.

i think aronofsky was attached to batman begins before nolan signed up for it. it says on imdb that he's supposed to be directing an adaptation of lone wolf and cub.

Holy chirst would that be awesome, tho im not sure how good a US version can go, outside of a loose translation like Rod to Perdition.

The Baby kart series is hard to top.

if aronofsky had have directed batman, i think i might have actually enjoyed it...

really? What wasnt to like?

Anyway, Requiem was way more approachable but i thought Pi was smarter, personally.

i was never a big batman fan, and batman begins never really did anything for me, but i agree, requiem was a lot more approachable, and people could say more happened in it, but pi was more thought provoking and is very true, that everything can be analised into numbers and statistics and can be made a pattern of, it also strikes well with me as i have annoying tendancy to think in numbers all the time....

Archived