Hondo's Bar

Fighting games

The NZA

Fighterscollage.gif

Yeah, i mainly made this thread to show that and a few other images, and for fighter fans like Losifer, arc, Junkerseed etc to talk & compare various fighters - did a poll back in '01 on the best fighter, but id rather a thread to talk about them in gereral, where theyve come from and what theyre doing now.

I always admire Namco for working to bring a great port home from the arcades (indlucing adding sub-games of sports, RPGs and 2-D sidescrollers), while Namco's Soul Calibur 3 has the best create-a-character mode that ive seen yet.

Shame that Capcom All-Stars didnt work out....i know Los recommends a number of imports, what are your favorites & why?

RyuvsMarioBros.gif

MarvelVsCapcom2-351hitcombo.jpg

CapcomVsSNKposter.jpg

this one's for Los

Street Fighter 2... seriously, who didn't waste like 20 bucks in quarters on this damn game. It was so damn addictive.

Tekken 2 for nostalgic purposes as well. I remember, it seems like only yesterday, the year of our lord nineteen hundred and ninety-eight. We were so young...

Soul Calibur 1, 2, and 3. I played Soul Calibur 1 in the arcades and loved it, Nightmare was and still is my favorite Calibur. So naturally when Soul Calibur 2 came out and I finally owned a video game system I bought it. And Soul Calibur 3 only improves on the greatness of the past two games.

World Heroes 1 and 2. This game is so widely hated, but it's really the only SNK fighting game I've ever gotten into. I still think the characters are widely origional and it was just cool to have weapons in a fighting game.

Marvel vs. Capcom. I am a huge crossover ho, so when I found out you could pit Spider-Man against Ryu, Dr. Doom against Bison, Iron-Man against Megaman. Well I was just obsessed with the idea and when Marvel vs. Capcom 2 came out I was even more excited. Sadly I can't find a copy of either ANYWHERE!!

Killer Instinct and Killer Instinct 2, the poor man's Mortal Kombat, but I loved it none-the-less. Probably because unlike with Mortal Kombat, I actually stood a snowball's chance in hell of making it to the end.

Power Stone 1 and 2, one of my favorite Dreamcast games. I loved how you could just pick up weapons out of the arena and use them and the feeling of excitement you got when you finally collected all three power stones and got to turn into your super form.

Samurai Showdown, this holds the same nostalgia that Street Fighter 2 did, I remember countless Friday nights at the pizza place wasting my money trying to beat the game with Earthquake because he was awesome.

Super Smash Brothers once again, I'm a crossover ho and I loved the idea of Samus wooping up on Mario. (Yeah, you ever play any Super Smash Bros. game with me, I always play as Samus cause Metroid kicks the llama's ass)

Growing up with a huge gamer like mah bro LOS, definitely learned to love these games.

Big fan, like mah bro, on Street Fighter Series - Chun Li and Sakura were mah gurls. Sadly I don't think I ever owned my bro at any of these games... save on PUZZLE FIGHTER!!! It's a fighting game, In PUZZLE MODE!

Never liked the Mortal Kombat games for some reason, thought they were cheap. :cheerleader:

ohhhhhhhh and RIVAL SCHOOLS!!!! OH man I used to own the kids at school druing FCAT week cuz we had a ps1 and a monitor or something, and we played games alllll freaking day, that was awesome. I think one guy owned me that day, so props to him. And again, I never beat LOS... he's a freaking maniac. :werewolf:

MARVEL VS CAPCOM 2: (I wanna take you for a rIide!!! (lyrics?) Stupid addicting song) - Never too good at it. And screw you Nick, I can beat you next game! My team consisted of the lil yellow bots, Roll, and Sakura.

OH and Nick, does this mean you're going to merge you're own thread with the OTHER fighting game threads?

I played in a Killer Instinct Tournament way back when I was a wee lad. Beat a few guys & won a hat but got my butt smeared at the end. Mad fun, great combo system. The 2nd one was a little weird for me, the graphics weren't as smooth but it played pretty similar.

MK1 was amazing. I could stand at Hot Wheels for hours & watch kids Tripple Uppercut people's heads off w/ Johnny Cage over & over & over. But when MK2 came out (Fatality, Babality, Animality, Friendship anyone?!?!) that was a complete quarter swallower. MK3 was more of the same w/ some combo's & the later ones didn' t really catch on for me. I think the lack of digitization of actual human actors kinda killed it for me.

When X-Men hit the scene it was really something else. I mean... they use the SAME CHARACTERS and crazy fighting system from that older game in today's MVC1, 2... etc.

Good times.

Nowadays the kids battle on the fields of...

Dance_Dance_Revolution_ntsc-front.jpg

Marvel Super Heroes: The infinity gauntlet fighting game! I loved this one to death, more than the Xmen game that had been out earlier, the later VS games aslo rocked.

King of Fighters series: I LOVE these games, SNK creates an awesome cast of characters, and hte gameplay is always there. Since SNK is the only company still making 2-d fighters, I hope they continue.

Virtua Fighter: Fuck Tekken. VF is the THE best fighting game series ever, 2 nad 4 are especially good. You just can't beat the precisison in this game, though the learning curve can be brutal.

Dead or Alive 4: Not as technical as VF, but a damn impressive fighting system and loads of characters. Also allows you to see if Ryu Hayabusa is badass enough to beat a SPARTAN!

Sould Calibur 3: Siegfried is BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, bish & junker are of the Virtua love, but im a Tekken guy. Its a fighting game: i want cool looking moves/characters with nice backgrounds to throw you into, not overly-technical reverses and a cast of characters i feel laregely plays the same.

Suzuki's a genius no dobut, but i cant take a substance over style argument seriously when the genre's about beating the other guy to submission.

• 1 year later...

holy shit, its a good time for 2D fighters lately.

besides Tetsunoko vs Capcom and Street Fighter IV, some great news coming out of/around TGS:

kof_12_logo.jpg

We've heard that King of Fighters XII has been dated for Japanese arcades new April, and now we hear about the game's ever expanding line-up. There are 11 playable characters in the show floor demo: Terry, Kim, Athena Asamiya, Leona Heidern, Ralf Jones, Kyo Kusanagi, Shen Woo, Ryo Sakazaki, Benimaru Nikaido, Robert Garcia and Ash Crimson. Three characters were announced as well: Iori Yagami, Andy Bogart and Raiden.

holy shit, KOF XII is beautiful.

if KOF somehow isnt your thing, check this shit out!

esrbmarvelcapcom.jpg

Ah, the Entertainment Software Ratings Board website, a wellspring of information on upcoming, yet-to-be-announced titles. Titles like Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, which has recently had two new consoles added to its listing. Joining the PlayStation 2 and the original Xbox are the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, which would seem to indicate that the title will be coming to Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network. Of course just because the ESRB rated the game doesn't mean it's a sure thing, but further proof has appeared in the NeoGAF forum thread concerning the rating showing Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 on Microsoft's PartnerNet, the closed version of Xbox Live used on development units.

If Capcom can manage to get stable online multiplayer working with Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 and deliver it to PSN and Xbox Live Arcade, I will never ask for another 2D fighting game again. I promise.

oh, snap. yeah, its been a long time coming, but you still cant deny the hype of seeing this one online. :tussin:

Masters of Tera Kasi- Bloody original engine for a Star Wars PSX offering.

Bloody Roar- I haven't played any since... I think number 2 on PSX but shit that chick who

I'll finish laters

... And now I'll always wonder just what I meant. If only I could turn back time and tell my younger self to finish her goddamned sentences.

But yeah, I loved VF until VF5 brutalised me. Right now the only fighter I can summon any fondness for is the Tekken series, as even SC4 was a fucking waste without 8-a-side random madness.

Exactly. You saw firsthand in my house the 8-a side random play was a staple of any given drinking night, well in SC4 there's only single player. Not even a friggin' tag team option in Vs. If it's unlockable, someone's gotta lemme know because I've played the shit outta all the different modes of that game and unless it's only unlockable in the tower of souls (up or down, neither of which I make much headway), the game serves me no purpose at all.

• 2 years later...
  • 11 years later...
  • 1 year later...