Hondo's Bar

30 Years of Star Wars

History channel is having a special on the legacy of Star Wars. I probably would have ignored it, but it seems to be focusing on the Joseph Campbell-inspired mythological rules, The Hero with a Thousand Faces and all that. If they get into Lord Raglan's The Hero I'm going to eat it up. Check out this entry in my brother's blog about ranks Luke and Anakin side by side on Lord Raglan's Hero Scale.

Yeah, it's tonight at 9pm...I don't think I can get out of watching it...my 3-year-old nephew thinks he's Anakin Skywalker...

He has also called me The Pink Darth Vader, my father Chewbacca, my 6-month-old nephew Yoda, my brother-in-law Darth Maul & my sister Princess Leia...

History channel is having a special on the legacy of Star Wars. I probably would have ignored it, but it seems to be focusing on the Joseph Campbell-inspired mythological rules, The Hero with a Thousand Faces and all that.

Sounds interesting.

Here is my friend Wes pulling a Vanna White and showing us the magical post office boxes in downtown Ft. Worth.

Too cool!

l_407d55615ae6c226c967a75cd9b63696.jpg

Why is it that we never get any cool shit like that in Florida?

I caught the tail end of it...but it seemed very interesting. Don't worry...they will replay it at least a dozen times and come out with a DVD in no time...

DVD????? I have you know that I the great and powerful Von Newtype will not be buying this on DVD because I young lady just like the Nick am a :pirate:.

Why is it that we never get any cool shit like that in Florida?

Oh, contraire, mon cher! (sp?)

Terrible quality since it was taken with a camera phone in a moving vehicle...but you can find one of these beauties on Miracle Mile a few blocks East of LeJeune:

25bf0ba320be.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

george lucas does not give a FUCK about your feelings

The Hollywood Reporter: In this 3D conversion of what is Episode 1 — The Phantom Menace, were there any changes made to any characters or the plot, or was it just a conversion?

George Lucas: Changes are not unusual — I mean, most movies when they release them they make changes. But somehow, when I make the slightest change, everybody thinks it’s the end of the world. That whole issue between filmmakers and the studios with the studios being able to change things without even letting the director of the movie know … I’m very much involved in that [so that’s not happening here]. … My job is to try to make the best possible movie it can be — and the current version is the Blu-ray version. That’s the one that’s been made into 3D. But it’s just a conversion. We haven’t made any changes other than the 3D.

THR: People can get fanatical about the movies — how does that make you feel? The puppet vs. CGI Yoda ruckus, and the who-shot-first, Han Solo or Greedo furor come to mind.

Lucas: Well, it’s not a religious event. I hate to tell people that. It’s a movie, just a movie. The controversy over who shot first, Greedo or Han Solo, in Episode IV, what I did was try to clean up the confusion, but obviously it upset people because they wanted Solo [who seemed to be the one who shot first in the original] to be a cold-blooded killer, but he actually isn’t.

It had been done in all close-ups and it was confusing about who did what to whom. I put a little wider shot in there that made it clear that Greedo is the one who shot first, but everyone wanted to think that Han shot first, because they wanted to think that he actually just gunned him down.

It’s the same thing with Yoda. We tried to do Yoda in CGI in Episode I, but we just couldn’t get it done in time. We couldn’t get the technology to work, so we had to use the puppet, but the puppet really wasn’t as good as the CGI. So when we did the reissue, we had to put the CGI back in, which was what it was meant to be.

If you look at Blade Runner, it’s been cut sixteen ways from Sunday and there are all kinds of different versions of it. Star Wars, there’s basically one version — it just keeps getting improved a little bit as we move forward. … All art is technology and it improves every year. Whether it’s on the stage or in music or in painting, there are technological answers that happen, and because movies are so technological, the advances become more obvious.

THR: A political question: SOPA, PIPA and piracy — what are your thoughts on that?

Lucas: If we had an intelligent system for writing law, everybody would get together and write the best possible answer to that. I mean, putting the digital world up against the traditional world and saying it’s one or the other is not a wise decision. Because what you’re saying is, do you want movies to exist, or do you want everything to just be on the Internet and see cats watching television or something? Everybody wants movies, everybody wants television shows, and everybody wants digital media.

It’s just up to the government to sit down with both sides and write a reasonable bill. I think what they’ve got now is a flawed bill, which is not unusual, but that’s all it is: sloppy legislation. Which has to be fixed. If we go much longer without [good] laws, most people won’t pay attention [until] they arrest somebody who’s making $50 million a year — and then you realize that there’s hundreds of millions of dollars being siphoned off, and it does affect the music business, the film business, and eventually, the software business. Everybody’s in this together.

THR: What’s the status of Indiana Jones 5? Steven Spielberg says he’s waiting to hear from you.

Lucas: I know, and I’m supposed to be working on it right now, but I’m talking to you instead (Laughs).

• 4 weeks later...
The Star Wars Identities exhibit, which opens in Montreal, Canada on April 19 and comes to Edmonton, Canada on October 27, will explore the theme of personal identity both in ourselves and in the characters that inhabit the Star Wars universe. The exhibit’s marquee image – the inkblot Darth Vader – quickly captivated our readers when it was first revealed last November. Canadian ad agency Bleublancrouge, who created the inkblot Vader video and is one of three companies that make up X3 Productions (the exhibit’s licensee), has created several new character portraits for the campaign, which we’ve showcased below.

Rather than offer an explanation of each, we are leaving it to our readers to decipher the meaning inherent in the portraits. Given the exhibit’s theme of identity, or “the forces that shape us,” the illustrations draw inspiration from each character’s individuality — what it is that makes them unique or the things and events that shaped them along the way.

Check out the expanded images here!

star-wars-identities-yoda-poster.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Topher Grace edits and privately screens 85-minute cut of entire SW prequel trilogy

This sounds really interesting.

To sum it up, it starts in media res with the Darth Maul fight and shows how Anakin ended up in Obi-Wan's training, then jumps forward to Clones (but ignores the clones and politics almost entirely to focus on Anakin's struggle with his feelings and Obi-Wan discovering Count Dooku's plan), then jumps to Sith and shows as Anakin falls apart. The final shot is Darth Vader's table rising up.

It basically ignores most of Phantom Menace, the politics, the Gungans, the clone army plot, and a lot of other superfluous stuff to basically focus entirely on Anakin's rise and fall as a Jedi and his career under Obi-Wan Kenobi.