Hondo's Bar

Call of Duty 4 V.S. Halo 3

Da Cap'n

Call of Duty 4 V.S. Halo 3  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

really? halo multi's always been fun for me, though moreso part 1 than 2, personally.

ive yet to play either, and shall not vote until i do. I hear more good things about CoD's single player campaign, as well as replayability, but Halo 3 does have cool shit like Forge and the like. At any given time, ive got like 5-10 people on my friends list playing either one.

me, i went the offline bioshock/mass effect route this year, and im really glad i did, personally.

Yeah Halo's multiplayer is great, but you know what else has great multiplayer? Unreal Tournament, Half-Life 2, and subsequent prequels, Quake, Doom, Team Fortress 2, and a multitude of other games that let you handle more than two weapons at once and don't have stupid game mechanics like "ammunition" for a melee weapon.

"But the plasma sword was unfair" whines the Xbox gamer with the backward baseball hat and the "Liquor in front, poker in back" t-shirt. Well no shit, Sherlock. The chainsaw was unfair in Unreal Tournament as was The Redeemer, sticky grenades are unfair but you don't bitch about those. So why don't you learn how to not suck more and we can go on with our lives.

And besides, I don't buy games for multiplayer aspects. Hey, sure it's a cool addition and all that it's like buying a car and getting a sweet fucking stereo system with it. But if the car is let's say a Clark W. Griswald Metallic Pea Woody Wagon to begin with then I just look like a jackass cruising down the street in my chick repellent rocking out to Tricky by Run DMC.

Multiplayer is a nice addition, not something by which the entire game shall be judged. The story was bit from tons of places, quite blatantly in many. You know like the headcrabs... er flood that were controlled by Mother Brai... er The Gravemind while you and Zeratul and the Protoss... I mean The Arbiter and The Covenant assisted Samus and Tron... I mean Master Chief and Cortana in destroying Ringworld, I meant Halo... and stopping the Apes... Brutes, sorry! With the help of Carl Weathers and Ripley... I mean Sergeant Johnson and Commander Keyes. They also managed to rip themselves off with

the end of Halo 3 being nearly identical to Halo 1

And bad gameplay + frankensteined story = Bad game. Though I will admit the story is good, but I can find it conveniently in a series of books which all together don't equal the price of one Halo game. Problem solved.

You're such a fucking hater. So is that a default lock for COD4 or are you not done yet? Story and FPS just don't go in my book. Cutscenes offer the semblance of storytelling and probably solely exist in an attempt to differentiate between aliens and the bullies at school, but I don't give a shit about story in my shooters. The fact is, Halo has a solid gameplay engine that speaks universally. Noobs and vets alike can tear it up on a more even footing than GoW or even CoD(played 2 and didn't like it, a PC-gamer friend of mine is all about this right now though so I'm being tempted to give CoD4 a shot). Like Nick, I'll vote when I've played both.

You're such a fucking hater. So is that a default lock for COD4 or are you not done yet? Story and FPS just don't go in my book. Cutscenes offer the semblance of storytelling and probably solely exist in an attempt to differentiate between aliens and the bullies at school, but I don't give a shit about story in my shooters. The fact is, Halo has a solid gameplay engine that speaks universally. Noobs and vets alike can tear it up on a more even footing than GoW or even CoD(played 2 and didn't like it, a PC-gamer friend of mine is all about this right now though so I'm being tempted to give CoD4 a shot). Like Nick, I'll vote when I've played both.

It has a game engine that is a step back from the game engines of just about every other FPS ever made as it's done nothing groundbreaking. I mean Command and Conquer: Renegade beat them to the vehicle angle, Star Wars: Jedi Knight beat them to the one hit kill laser sword, Half-Life beat them to the swarms of zombie-making bug things, Unreal beat them to the giant armor clad aliens battling space marines angle, there is not one thing you can't find in another game and usually done better.

Baytor- again, you're simply talking models. Who cares?! It's like ripping on any sporting game since THPS for using an engine that works. Who cares about what anything looks like or what runs what?! It's a great, simple engine, the vehicles for the most part run great, I have no problem at all with this engine and the way I see it your whole issue here is from a creativity/artistic pov.

Waaaah! Halo sucks because it's so uninspired and unoriginal. Note I make no mention of the gameplay other than to say it's been done to death/is unevolved. Waaah the whole story's so overdone. :sob:

It's a simple engine. I love FPS but have the tendency to be quite shit when the moment strikes. I like having to sacrifice weaponry because damnit, having a full arsonal takes challenge out of the situation and to take your objective tack for a moment, is unrealistic as hell to expect to carry a fuckking minigun next to a rocketlauncher while firing 9mm.

And Doj- I wouldn't know because I don't care. I just wanna shoot stuff. It's fun.

Baytor- again, you're simply talking models. Who cares?! It's like ripping on any sporting game since THPS for using an engine that works. Who cares about what anything looks like or what runs what?! It's a great, simple engine, the vehicles for the most part run great, I have no problem at all with this engine and the way I see it your whole issue here is from a creativity/artistic pov.

It's a simple engine. I love FPS but have the tendency to be quite shit when the moment strikes. I like having to sacrifice weaponry because damnit, having a full arsonal takes challenge out of the situation and to take your objective tack for a moment, is unrealistic as hell to expect to carry a fuckking minigun next to a rocketlauncher while firing 9mm.

okay fair enough, I was just listing the reasons why it's pointless to shell out $70 for an overlblown budget title but I suppose I could go into the technical problems. the game play system is clunky and the controls don't flow as well as several other FPS shooters I've played on consoles. I.E. Portal, Half-Life, or Bioshock. The two weapons system isn't challenging it's just annoying, especially when half the time you end up with the fucking needler blasting away at other people with no real result. And it's unrealistic as hell to be carrying a fucking rocket launcher that big and running and jumping ten feet in the air but here's the thing. Master Chief is a super soldier while your typical FPS hero is just "some guy" so if anyone should be able to handle more than two weapons its him.

The vehicles don't operate particularly well, the system like I said is reminiscent of Command and Conquer Renegade which had HORRIBLE vehicle controls. I've seen better AI in the original Unreal Tournament bots, and anytime you get a gun it's nigh impossible to find ammunition for it so your chances of holding onto a decent gun are very small, it's challenging true but it also takes a good deal of the fun out of it. As you say, I'm here to shoot things not run around like a jackass for half an hour looking for another plasma pistol.

The recharging suit takes away all the ability of just whittling away points thus making most of the smaller arms worth fuckall, and the energy sword having ammunition in Halo 3 is moronic and just done for the whiny losers who can't deal with being melee'd.

Halo is the kind of thing that would have been passable in the mid-90s but as far as gameplay goes it's worthless. It's built for the sort of people that made the game Black sound like a good idea. Mindless shooting for no reason other than shooting, it's not particularly challenging, it's not particularly well made. It's a budget shooting title billed as the second coming that's supposed to be so good that you cream your pants just from playing it. Yet the gameplay in the original Half-Life in sinlge-player mode was more original and fun than the entire Halo series' multiplayer.

And I didn't say it's been done to death/is unevolved: I said it's less than usual. It's like buying a car with no seats, yeah you can use it, but why the fuck would you?

• 2 weeks later...

Both these games suck more balls than Baytor on a saturday night, though they probably dont do it dressed like a ten dollar whore.

The only good first person shooter was Army of Darkness Doom! fuck half life and halo and doom 3 and all that bullshit!!1 Bruce Cambell is the only good thing in games!

To put a bookend on this, or perhaps just to piss Skeet off some more as it brings me insurmountable quantities of joy I found reviewer Yahtzee Croshaw's opinions on both games matched mine to a tee (though I disagree with him on Bioshock, but he's of the DoJ camp of "It has to suck because it's so much like another game" Whiners.)

damn, nothing ends a debate like Zero Escapist. especially since that's as kind as he's been since, uh, Orange Box.

also, i thought he made the "bioshock :: system shock 2 in space" argument too but i didnt think he trashed the game for it the way DoJ & others did. to clarify, im clearly in your camp on that one.

He didn't trash it, he said it was one of the best games he'd played but it was very shallow. Which I guess yeah, kinda. But with games like Halo, Doom 3, and Far Cry at the top of the list it's hard to call Bioshock shallow (Unless you're comparing it to Valve FPS games, so he's got a point there)

But there was not a word on Halo 3 he said that was untrue. And I do want to clarify that Halo is a decent game, but it's nowhere above average. Yes the 2 weapon thing makes it harder, and God knows they needed it because since you're tripping over guns and ammo everywhere you turn, you heal automatically, and you almost always have other people covering your ass it needs something. But the AI is shitty, there's only like 4 weapons in the entire game that are worth a shit and you spend most of your time searching for them like they're buried treasure, and they've not even tried to mix it up at all it's nothing but firefights either on foot or in a vehicle from beginning to end, no puzzles, no challenges, no point. Doom had more side gamplay elements, you at least had to go find keys. Halo's side gameplay is "push this button after you've killed everyone in this room"

Archived