Hondo's Bar

hack/mod your psp

Darth Fluffakins

psp_hacker_survey.jpg

i adore my hacked PSP. same 8 gig card with Metal Gear Portable Ops+, FF Crisis Core, God of War, echnochrome, loco roco, E3, Resident Evil 2, Einhander, Disgaea, so many great PSP/PSX games (it emulates PS1 perfectly as long as you have the right firmware and the file's the right format). Shit, spiffytee uses his as a GPS.

Plus, it emulates SNES, Genesis & Sega-CD perfectly. I read comics off of it. I emulate Lucasarts SCUMM games off it. i could watch videos if they were the right @#%!@in format.

Bishopcruz is the man for this. he's good with making it work without bricking it. ill swear by custom firmware 3.7x or whatever it is...nothing i cant do with that system, i just gotta sync it up with my PS3 for remote play. Anyway, yeah, it adds 10x the freakin value to the system, cant recommend it enough...hopefully bish will chime in here soon.

How would you recommend I do it? What website's download's, what version of this or that. Its really all confusing, I wish someone lived by me that I could just take it to.

What's a pandora's battery? What's the kernal thing all about. I found some websites like I stated, but I just don't know which to trust.

A lot of it has to do with what version of the PSP you have, what firmware is installed on it, and stuff like that, technically if you have a PSP Phat (the older ones that don't have the video out feature) that has a firmware under 3.50, you can upgrade to official firmware 3.50, then assuming you have a copy of the game Lumines (which you should if you own a PSP), you can run a hack using a custom saved game to downgrade to firmware 1.50, from there you would upgrade to whatever CFW you want. It is complicated, but not ALL that bad.

The easier way is to make a memory stick that will work with a pandora, or tool battery. All PSP batteries have a bit of software on them that when configured correctly (either through a hard or soft mod) will allow them to become a way to basically boot off of a memory stick. These are the battery's that actual Sony guys use to un-brick PSPs (basically), it's a good thing to have around. The problem is, you need to have someone with a hacked PSP to make one for you, or you have to buy one. That is either the land of ebay (dangerous) or Datel (they make a tool battery, but I can't vouch for it.).

You also need a hacked PSP to create the stick as well, once you have them life is relatively easy.

Once you have the battery and the stick though, you can pretty much always restore your PSP to 1.50 if phat, or allow CFW installs if you have a lite.

Now one of the most comprehensive threads on the subject is this one. It's from NeoGAF the wild west of video game message boards, but they do know their shit when it comes to this stuff. The other places I would recommend are PSP-Hacks.com and Dark Alex's Homepage .

The former has a lot of really good downloads for the PSP including official firmware (which you WILL need when installing CFW.) and Dark Alex is the guy who makes all of the best hacked firmware and also has a ton of great utilities.

You are going to have to do a lot of reading across those three places, but once of understand how everything works, you're golden.

Hope this helps a bit.

It does help, but I want to know how much it'll take to let someone else do it for me. hint, hint. I don't have an older version, I've got a slim thats running 3.9 I think. I've downloaded several games to play, I'm just apprehensive about changing firmware and such. I've had bad luck with that in the past with electronics. I also noticed that alot of the games I downloaded are ".cso" files, is that the same as ".iso" when it comes to the hacked versions?

I haven't yet downgraded a slim myself, but the process is pretty similar to regular downgrading, I have a good friend who has a slim and has been on my ass to do CFW, once I know how the process works on a slim I'll PM you.

CSO means compressed iso, it's a format that takes up less space than an ISO, but it can run slower depending on your memory stick, or the game itself, generally cso's have worked out great for me, but ymmv.

Archived