Hondo's Bar

Greatest comic castin call

The NZA

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My film class had me thinkin bout this one...

Was gonna put a "Greatest comic movie of all time" poll but i thought this'd be more fun.  

Personally? I figure everyone's gonna go for Reeves, god knows the man was/is Superman, no doubt about it, but watchin bits of X-Men again....

Jackman has the look, the movements, the voice, even the growl down pat.  Plus, im obviously a huge Wolvy fan, so this all but made the film for me.  Where do the rest of ya stand?

And no bullshit replies like "Matt Salinger" as Captain America!

6302447739.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Ahhh shit I was gonna put Dean as superman.....  suprdean.jpg

Oh shit how did that get there...?

Seriously tho... close calls all... but its gat to go ta Nickleson.

the mans just so cool!

joker.jpg

"Have you ever danced with the devil by the pale moon light?"

Michael Keaton but Jacks gonna deservedly win it. Just thought Keaton was a great call, believably mild-mannered millionaire and psychotic vigilante.

Still like Ray Park in X-Men, cool character, obviously aided by CG and great writing, but in the movie takes on Storm, Cyclops and Jean Grey single-handed....murmurs in the cinema, "Jesus, what balls!"

Jack was great.  Reeves is definitely Superman, noone does it better.  As for Keaton, I think we LIKED seeing him as Batman, not that he was very physically intimidating or otherwise, but he was such a good actor that he'll always be Batman.

I still say since X-Men I haven't seen anyone so picture perfect as Patrick Stewart playing Xavier.  I still think I can find some other actors who could play a good Superman (NOT Nicolas Cage).

• 2 weeks later...

C'mon admit it... you all saw the superman movie before you ever read a comic. So, for you Reeves IS superman. certainly he is for me.

But he wasn't the best physical specimen for the role. He's a great actor. He did a piece for 'INside the Actor's Studio" and he revealed a whole lot of the work that went into pulling off the clark/superman duality. He had the height and the eyes and the determinied look and everything, but he wasn't pumped up enough.

Nicholson's Joker on the other hand, didn't have any great physical requirements to live up to. Just psychotic tendencies. And, really, who does psychotic tendencies better than Nicholson?

maybe Keaton? Look at Beetlejuice. I think Keaton was a great choice for Batman because he can do the psycho bit. He'd have been great as Joker if Nicholson hadn't taken the job.

Hackman played Luthor far too clownishly (granted he did so deliberately. Director's preference and alla that. We've seen him play 'little' Bill)

What I wanna know is... how could you guys forget Arnold as Conan?

And I think Tobey McGuire as Peter Parker was a great choice too. Though we have yet to SEE him in the role

But we all know the man who made the role just part of him was Nicholson so forget this talk about the others... I'm off to vote.

ANd I just wanted to mention that I still think that McKellan was a lousy choice for Magneto. He did great in the role cuz he turned it into something he wanted it to be. But it wasn't the comic book Magneto.

McKellan as Gandalf... now there's a great piece of casting.

I thought he was close enough to the comic one....handled some scenes rather well (like the last chess scene, the showdown with the cops, etc)

artistic says the same thing tho.  So, who'd you two prefer for the role?  Harrisson Ford?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, this one never came back up, but havin recently re-watched X-Men, i wanna know everyone's problem with Sir Ian Mckellan's portrayl as Magneto.  

First off, he's a sheakspearan actor, and Magneto used to always quote that stuff.  Artistic felt he was too old/frail but i think that's irrelevant; physical power is a joke to him.  The only reason he's got a sixpack in the comics is 'cause after Jim Lee, everyone had a sixpack; i think Aunt May did for a while.

Regardless, while he perhaps couldve seemed more familar with Xavier, i thought he played the philisophical point (that of Maclolm X vs Rev Martin Luther King Jr) rather well, especially in the final chess battle, which bacchus observed that he even works the board lke Magneto would.  

Again, i admit the opening Aushwitz scene was promising, and the whole "lets turn Kelly into a mutant" thing was weak, but that wasnt Mckellen's fault.

He wasnt a dead-on like Patrick Stewart or Hugh Jackman, but ive yet to really here why he was so "lousy" or who'dve done it better (and if bacchus is readin this, dont just throw out Connery 'cause ya like him).  Lemme know what ya think, people.

co2.jpg

I had no problems with Mckellan as Magneto, I thought he was a damned fine choice.  Oh, and I completely agree with Jumbie that Tobey Mcguire is perfect for spiderman.  He's a great actor to boot.  Did a badass job in Wonder Boys, PleasantVille, and some other cool ones.  One of the few great younger actors I can think of.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always felt from a young age, when I first read/watched x-men or when Ifirst watched Next Generation (which ever came second) that the only person who could play Xaiver was Patrick Stewart. I think I made a resolution at age 10 to boycott any live-actionX-Men flim without him as Xavier. And if all the time it took to get the X-Men movie was was spend convincing him, then it was time well worth it (know it wasn't the only thing keeping the production back, but it's just a point I'm making). So sure, Reeves, Nicholson, Jackman, all good portrayal, but Stewart was BORN for the Xavier role, and I never will and never have felt ANYONE else could do Xvier any justice. Can't say that about the others.

PS Nicholson was great physically and visually as he Joker, but I could never pick a better voice for the Joker than Mark Hamill. Him and whoever does Harley Quinn in the animated series were the ultimate crime duo, both had their characters down pat.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...