Hondo's Bar

Doom's Master/ The Hooded Man

Jables

Doom's Master/The Hooded Man  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

so yeah, a lot of people were wrong on this poll, turns out.

Hinting at OML as a forthcoming inevitabilty was fun, but to be honest, though i enjoyed the early bits of 1985, id rushed through the ending and it wasnt overly memorable for me, so i had to wiki the dude's name again - so the first mutant from another earth got retarded and then was awoken, in the future with OML villains, and uh, travelled realities killing shit to come back as the marquis of death? do i have this right?

That's pretty much what I got out of FF issue #568. I still haven't read 1985 yet. So this guy was introduced in that series then? And I didn't quite get the last 2 pages of the issue. The Marquis

brought all the alternate reality FF teams to destroy the "Marvel prime" reality?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1985 is pretty awful. I nice little tip o'the hat to fanboys, but you can tell the pear shaped nature of it pretty early on and it really doesn't improve. This all just gives me a sense of dread that Millar's now gonna try to tie 1985 into OML as well... Ecch.

And Hakujin- regarding that last splash page, I'm as in the dark as you. It's probably the same kind of hallucination that the Marquis used on Doom in the first.

1985 is pretty awful. I nice little tip o'the hat to fanboys, but you can tell the pear shaped nature of it pretty early on and it really doesn't improve. This all just gives me a sense of dread that Millar's now gonna try to tie 1985 into OML as well... Ecch.

And Hakujin- regarding that last splash page, I'm as in the dark as you. It's probably the same kind of hallucination that the Marquis used on Doom in the first.

OK, glad I wasn't the only one going "WTF!?!" at the end of that issue. But if it was a hallucination wouldn't he make it more personal to increase the pain as he dead to Doom? Ah well, 'to be concluded" nest issue, right?

And you & Baytor's distaste for 1985 is one of the reasons I keep putting off reading it. Lots of other stuff on ye olde "to read pile" I've got to catch up on...I'm months behind on Iron Fist, Iron Man, War of Kings, and almost all the Dark Reign stuff.

Aside from Iron Fist, I probably wouldn't rate any of that stack, but then I wouldn't have dedicated more than the 5 main issues of Final Crisis either. What makes me crazy about this whole dealy more than anything is the relatively significant build-up, for the low low payout of 3 issues?! To be concluded? That's some old bullshit.

JZA - aw, fuck man. theyve got that one last issue of OML, if the Marquis is in, fine, whatever, but there better not be 1985, cause i pretty much co-sign your summary.

Haku - Iron Fist, Iron Man (its a solid book lately, all Fugitive and shit), and ive actually enjoyed Dark Reign as a kinda summer blockbuster thing to inevitably bring the Avengers back 'round, but i dropped War of Kings and haent looked back, we'll see if i miss out there i guess.

yeah, again i had to wiki the name to know that shit, but i got it - why're you asking? you're expecting more "WTF is this shit" co-signing or wha? i admit im trying to not focus on that arbitrary tie-in, the next issue or two - what's really done to reed/earth past all the talk - will make or break the series for me.

There'd wanna be some seriously cool shit in the offing to save the Millar FF effort (or FF-ort) at this point. All I hope is that the Marquis' inevitable appearance in OML doesn't fuck up that story. I've personally written off FF at this point.

aw,

the super-retard might've been the nail in the coffin, but you were letting this one go for at least a month or two now. i thought the whole "doom dream sequence" shit was fun, but youve been calling dook at least since then. i do so hope this marquis turns out so awesome people forget the silly origin, somehow.

He's certainly not moving in that direction... And yeah I've been complaining for a while, but that was moreso because Millar blatantly stalled for two months with that ridiculous Scotland arc, which realistically is just more hype-building, all for a 3 issue arc. I dug the dream sequence too, but commented that it's been done to death, is all.

JZA-I was never a huge FF fan, but I've been following it faithfully since Millar jumped on board and have liked every issue. I loved his run on Ultimate FF as well. Are you reading the Fantastic Force miniseries that continues onward from the nu-Earth & death of future Sue storyline?

Haku - Iron Fist, Iron Man (its a solid book lately, all Fugitive and shit), and ive actually enjoyed Dark Reign as a kinda summer blockbuster thing to inevitably bring the Avengers back 'round, but i dropped War of Kings and haent looked back, we'll see if i miss out there i guess.

I've only read the first 2 main books for WOK. I've been a fan of almost anything to do w/ the Inhumans since Paul Jenkins & Jae Lee did the 12 issue mini series back in the day. The Civil War & Secret Invasion books w/ them were quite good and they all lead into WOK. Dark Reign has been good so far. I've only read the Elektra, She-Hulk, & Bullseye minis so far. I really need to read all the Dark Reign Avengers stuff. And did they cancel the Iron Man Director of Shield book since Dark Reign? I can't believe Marvel only has one monthly Iron Man book and a dozen Wolverine books. Eh, I'm not really complaining though cuz I can't even stay caught up w/ the one monthly. Last issue I read stark was tricking Pepper and Maria Hill into wiping his brain of all the Civil War registration info. /digression

yeah, im 100% with you on digging the Inhumans after the Jenkins/Lee series. if War of Kings ends up mostly about that, ill revisit it.

i think they just renamed it to Invincible Iron Man, cause what you're referencing there is still ongoing. and while im a Wolverine: Origins apologist, even i dont know why :D picked up a 3rd series recently, im still hoping that Weapon X book is a mini.

^^No, there were 2 monthly Iron Man books out for a while. Invincible was launched to coincide w/ the film as I recall, but I don't think there's been an issue of Director of Shield for a while now. And as for ol' canuckle head's monthlies--technically you've got Wolverine, Origins, Noir, and First Class (which according to wiki is name changed back to X-Men First Class as of this month) plus the team books X-Force, New Avengers, and whenever he pops up in any other X-title. I liked how they addressed the Wolverine overkill somewhat in issue 73 & 74 of Wolverine.

Haku- not bothering with Fantastic Force because alternate realities do my head in, most especially since this reeks of rehashed Heroes Reborn. Also, alongside most of the human population can't keep up with the number of monthlies you do. Regarding FF, I'd be a hyppocrite to say these are bad FF stories we're reading because you, me, NZA and whoever else wouldn't normally read it at all but for Millar. I just had a higher expectation is all.

^^If you liked the Millar storyline at all (which you kinda just said you did), I really suggest DL'n the Fantastic Force miniseries. It's only 4 issues (last one should come out end of this month) and technically isn't an alternate reality storyline as it takes place in the MU prime. It picks up literally right after the Fantastic 4 leave all the future dead Earth refugees after future Sue's funeral. I was surprised at how good it is so far.

I'd read it just for Hooded man/future Wolvy that's somehow not OML. And let me ellucidate: I don't like Millar's FF stories so much as I don't like whatever's normally going on with that book more. Candy covered turds are interesting for a few minutes, but in the end it's a turd in the middle.

^^That was beautiful. I'm going to incorporate that into my wedding vows somehow. And you just like h8n cuz ur a h8r. The only thing I could call being turd-like in Millar's run thus far (and yes that includes the Scotland story--which was a good 2 issue arc) is the Thing trashing a talk show set and his fiancee's equally ridiculous reaction. You get engaged to the fuckin' THING and now all of a sudden you're scared for your safety? This lady is nuckin' futz. That and Millar felt he had to crowbar in some "personal drama."

Okay so on the hating for hating's sake, you're confusing me with your bedbuddy Baytor. That's his deal. For the most part, I'm the Marvel apologist to his fanboy-flag-burning ways. I'm just saying that from the guy who brought us Civil War, The Ultimates, and Wanted, I expected a little more than Lovecraftian fanfic mixed with Bold & the Beautiful.

And not to split hairs, but yeah, he's the blue-eyed ever-loving Thing. Guy's a goddamned teddy bear covered in rock. We all have that gentle giant friend who's physically intimidating but wouldn't hurt a fly. Well have you ever seen him go off? I have and it's scary as shit. That whole Deb/Thing thing is pretty spot on. Also, big kudos to Millar for finally introducing us to

Ben's HOT, sweet aunt Petunia.

Ha, but in my defense it's easy to confuse you two in this instance because you are technically "h8n" here. And I think if you look at this as a whole (OML, F4, 1985) it is pretty cool--and yes, again I haven't read 1985 (I really gotta read that one this week) how he can basically tell one story over 3 titles and have them all be stand-alone yet interconnect is pretty amazing. A far cry from a candy covered turd.

Again, I'm not a big F4 fan so I'm not sure how out of character Ben flyin' off the handle and trashing a talkshow set is. I'm just sayin' this chick knows how crazy shit gets w/ the F4. She knows he's a fuckin' badass but when he tries to defend her honor, as it were, she gets cold feet and hides out at her parents house? I found that whole sub-plot to be lame, poorly written melodrama. Not such a far cry from candy covered turd land, but the rest of his run is turd-free IMHO.

Okay so first and foremost, I'm happy to refer to Millar's overarching crossover event as a disappointment to the hype that he built, but it's really only the FF stretch that earns the candy-coated turd comparison. Again, yes, FF is a turd of a book with the occasional brightspot that flashes extra-awesome by comparison but let's be honest: How many stories can you tell in this day and age about the Patridge Family with bunsen burners instead of guitars?

I'm saying to you- as an independant arc by the collaboration that's brought us The Authority & Ultimates, well maybe they bit off more than they could chew trying on their magic for such a strange forum(kinda like Azzarello's inability to write superheroes). In the greater arc of things, and in light of your speculation regarding OML, the stock of the 'Earth 2' arc rises significantly. The Scotland arc, however, is a weak channeling of Ellis at best, and this much-hyped Doom's Mentor business is pure fucking Vaudeville compared to the dramatic, slow-paced event it should be. we're talking about the master of one of the Marvel Universe's greatest villians, ffs. And they have the guy capering around in Doom's mask? I half expect a Buffalo two-step and cane-twirling to be his big finale.

• 1 month later...
Okay so first and foremost, I'm happy to refer to Millar's overarching crossover event as a disappointment to the hype that he built, but it's really only the FF stretch that earns the candy-coated turd comparison.

So, um, yeah. I just read Fantastic Four #569 and, er, well, there's a chance, big chance, you, uh, could've been, slightly, 100% more or less give or take, on the money w/ that call.

It had me well fooled of a glorious impending wrap up all the way until

Doom's ridiculous excuse for why he endured all those centuries as the apprentice. Then of course he's the world's biggest badass now yet spare's the FF based on the same old Doom logic--It's beneath him to kill them. And Millar kind of jauntily skips over the explanation as to how Doom managed to survive the death by giant prehistoric sharks and reconstitute himself into a form unrecognizable on a molecular level to the Marquis. No explanation--he just did it like he was Nike advert. Then Thing has an epiphany: Superhero groupies end up dead ,and then calls off the wedding. Such a disappointing non-event.

You ridiculous man. you posted on What The...? in here.

Still, I wanna see how compliant this new Doom is with Osbourne's new order. Say what you will about Bendis writing every other Marvel book, but at least there was less contradicting arcs.

Archived