Hondo's Bar

Doom's Master/ The Hooded Man

Jables

Doom's Master/The Hooded Man  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Millar's three big summer books(FF, Wolverine, 1985) are linked by a common villian, according to Millar. This villian is infact Doom's Mentor, and is apparently quite upset at his/her protege's lack of progress in terms of general villiany in 616. Apparently it's someone familiar & promises to blow our minds(this statement may just have already been outdone by the mythology established in OML), so since the reveal is just around the corner, and fuck all people seem to be aware of the link, here's the thread.

So post your conjecture here.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To bring things into perspective between the 3 books(well 2 since I've not followed 1985), the mysterious 'Hooded man', in the capacity of Doom's Mentor, has united all the villians of the Marvel U to overthrow the status quo as seen in Old Man Logan, and alternately on the other future timeline Millar's showed in FF, has orchestrated not only the creation of a second Earth(no, not Heroes Reborn ala Franklin Richards... Holy shit that theory has some legs though*), but a mass migration from the ruined future to the present(I reiterate, seemingly separate from OML), and then shows up at the end of this current FF issue to assumedly kill everything.

What confuses me is, thus far this overarching villian has only been credited as 'The Hooded Man', and in some lazy christening or some kinda bizarre red herring, The Future Defenders have a Hooded Man on their team that last issue was revealed to be

Wolverine

, and even at the beginning of this issue, he was credited thusly(but then the real villian shows up, so Idunno). PS- Meeting his current 616 counterpart was pretty funny.

*Franklin Richards- I'ma add him as an option. We've all seen him go evil in stuff like Exiles, not to mention he has the power... Anyone reading FF right now sees that Valeria is supposed to end up smarter than Reed & Franklin combined, which is right now and in the future would be seen to be physically jarring for the kid.

Goddamnit! I said I wasn't gonna come in here and I did it anyway. I had no idea Millar was linking all those stories w/ a single villain. I need to read 1985. I'm up to date on FF & Wolverine though. An AR Reed would be a cool twist, although not an original one considering the current FF arc.

SHit, hadn't taken the Death of Invisible Woman into account, so that'd rule that out. I called a New Dark Raider a few months ago when this started out. Not to patronise, but for those unaware, Dark Raider(I think was his name) was an alternate reality Richards bent on killing all his counterparts. Was one of the first comics I read, and figured it'd explain Doom's vendetta on Reed further than a beaker-pissing contest and facial mutilation.

it was about him, but i read that thanos got...dealt with. i could be wrong.

some good options on this poll (please dont be :drama: ), smart money's on reed of some form but id love to see someone else. x-man...that's a helluva longshot, not to make a bad pun.

i read it, and i too forget how Ellis did it. something with aliens and cells? anyway.

the 90s fanboy in me wants to correct you sir, for cable is cyk + madelyne pryor while x-man nate is sinister's dream of cyk + jean gray, plus no techo-organic virus, but we're both showing our hands here.

As the foremost fan of Nate Grey, I understand the distinction in genetics, except you infact have your mothers reversed. Jean Grey gave birth to Cable, while Sinister used Pryor's(the tell is in the Goblin Queen over Phoenix genes) & Cyk's DNA to create Nate. If my hazy history wasn't solid enough, I remember the arc where Grey is co-erced by the spirit of Pryor to reanimate Forge's corpse* and carve her image into Middle Eastern cities. I know toward the end he was assisted by some alternate version of DD's mum(old nun with no eyes) and being trained as a Shaman of the Earth, before fighting some cat named Q'biri who was some kind of destroyer from further up the spiral(it was Ellis who showed the Helix formation of Marvel alternate realities & went on to coin regular continuity as 616-although that may have been Mutant X too).

Your move, Custer

*I know I hapr on this but I swear to god... The only time a comic characters powers have genuinely shaken me to my core was then- seeing Grey telekinetically 'recharge' Forge's brain so he could talk, holding the dead vocal chords just so that Forge could talk-that shit was fucking insane.

oh, sir. sir, sir, sir.

i do respect your recalling that ellis villian, and reading to the point of the shaman arc: im gonna be honest, i followed nate out of AOA right up until that annual where he went back and something happened to that black chick that'd been tagging along. I was a huge fan! like :pig: said; everyone has their guilty indulgences. his was azreal, mine was nate. I wanted that figure, so bad.

but itd bet your daywalker sword that nathaniel dayspring summers (cable) has pryor's genes, while my man nate (who cant wait) has gray's. its splitting hairs since pryor was sinister's clone of jean, but the distinction's important enough to lose one's sword over, so i implore you, think it through and please dont check wiki before taking this bet, my friend.

The Sword's officially on the line for this, without consultation on Wiki(you're lucky I posted before without checking my facts). My only challenge to issue forth is: How do you get it? It's a weapon by any definition so it's not like I'ma get to fly with that shit all Beatrix Kiddo style(though the idea of a list of people to steal shit from is pretty sweet). I'll warn you in fairness though- it's tainted goods since I went into a rage putting my BBQ together and hacked up a bookcase & a chair with it. The handle rattles.

I agree a clone is a clone is a clone, but since we're comparing The Goblin Queen & Dark Phoenix here, yes, it's an important distinction.

bring it to joel's wedding (non-carry on); itll be a hoot with customs, damaged or not. ill wager uh, my highlander blade? im not sure.

like taking candy from cleremont's grandbaby. how does a man who recalls this awesome forge scene i never saw not know scott + jean = nate, scott + maddy = cable?! a dollar says he repressed it. weve both been scarred by so many years of bad books.

great. fuck you guys. George just got me piqued to read up on Final Crisis and all that damn BS (christ but DC is about as easy to follow as a Physics class taught by Ben Stein...though I do say he got me with

Barry Allen's alive!

, and anything with Jay Garrick is fun).

Now you've got me piqued with this, too. ergh.

Ok, so what do I need to read this entire event?

It's not an event. It's just Millar's 3 Marvel books. They only intersect at the point of primary villian. Anyone here will recommend Wolverine to you, starting with #66, because The Old Man Logan arc is crazy-awesome(not to spoil, more of an established enticer- It's set 50 years in the future where villians have officially taken over, and an old Blind Hawkeye wants to take an uncharacteristically pacifist Logan roadtripping-that makes it sound like Nicholson & Freeman in the Bucketlist, but I swear it's more mindblowing than heartwarming). Read FF if you're into the crazy scifi(Millar takes the Ellis route with weird science, you see a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG body drop there. In case you can't be arsed reading it's

Galactus

), and 1985 I can't account for because I haven't read it. Basically though, The president in OML is the one who effected the villian insurrection, is also Doom's master as acknowledged in FF and actually turned up at the end of the latest ish.

Millar's said that one of the books drops the ID a month before the others(I forget which-I'm guessing FF), but by the following month it'll be through all the books.

Archived