Hondo's Bar

Coraline

The NZA

Coraline_poster.jpg

Coraline is an animated stop-motion horror fantasy film based on Neil Gaiman's novella of the same name. Directed by Henry Selick, it is scheduled to be released in theaters on February 6, 2009. It is rated PG for thematic elements, scary images, some language, and suggestive humor.

The film is about a young girl, Coraline (Dakota Fanning), who unlocks a mysterious door in her new home and enters into a parallel reality, a fantastical and thrilling imitation of her own dull life. In this world, Coraline finds a new version of her real mother (Teri Hatcher) and father (John Hodgman), her off-kilter neighbors, Miss Forcible (Dawn French), Miss Spink (Jennifer Saunders) and Mr Bobinsky (Ian MacShane), and the Cat (Keith David). However, this other world soon begins to unravel and she becomes a prisoner to her Other Mother and must count on her resourcefulness, determination, and bravery to get back home.

so, i gotta go find the novella its based on now, its cool to see its also gonna be a PS2 game - we'll see how that turns out. thoughts?

You know, I hadn't read this one, mostly because it was meant for children and I never seem to have good luck with juvenile fiction. Either way, the plot sounds a great deal like Mirrormask, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, if Gaiman can keep it fresh. I wonder, is the art based on some of Dave McKean's work? Him and Gaiman do a lot of collaboration.

Either way, I'm reserving judgement on this until I see it as I've no experience with it. The novellas has gotten rave reviews, however. I've got to try and keep the Dakota Fanning element from turning me off. That child truly irritates me.

Either way, I'm reserving judgement on this until I see it as I've no experience with it. The novellas has gotten rave reviews, however. I've got to try and keep the Dakota Fanning element from turning me off. That child truly irritates me.

Now hold on, Dakota Fanning was good in Man on Fire. (You should just be thankful it isn't Miley Cyrus) My big concern is with Tim Burton, Gaiman's stuff usually has a certain dark edge to it and this one seems especially to have it and Tim Burton always seems to want to goth up whatever he directs. My fear is I'll walk into this movie and it will be nothing but a black screen for an hour and a half.

I have to agree with Dr. G, I think Tim Burton's hand is needed in this. Not all of Gaiman's stuff has a dark slant to it. Actually, I'd refer to most of it as a 'grey'. Either way, I think Burton will do ok. Nightmare Before christmas and Corpse Bride both were dark while still being endearing and not as over the top as say...Sweeney Todd.

Dakota Fanning is overrated. She is a fair talent for one so young, but frankly, the child's exposure is beginning to irritate me. Much as I got tired of seeing a preponderance of Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts once upon a time.

so, i gotta go find the novella its based on nowgame [/url]- we'll see how that turns out. thoughts?

The book is great. I've read most of Gaiman's work and Coraline is a gem.

I use to have a copy of the book, but I give away 3/4 of my books and I just checked my shelves and dresser draws so I must have given this one away. Usually the stuff left on my shelves are books I am going to get to later, books I want to use as a reference, or books that I don't think are worth passing on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived