Hondo's Bar

Metal Gear Rising

C_U_SPACECOWBOY

• 1 year later...

This looks like a boring action hack n' slash where the big draw comes from a slow-mo cutting mode you can activate whenever you want.

I think the idea of cutting however you want and having realistic cuts and reactions are cool. I think that having this slowdown be a part of the movement of a purportedly fast individual will create a disparity that will make the gameplay ultimately dull. I think you people have Kojima blinders on, and nobody's looking at what the actual gameplay footage showed from a how-to-play-it point of view.

But that's me.

I'm aware it's multiplat. I still look at it and see a boring game. Hi def superaccurate cooking mama watermelon slicing for all!

Seriously, what in the gameplay looked engaging? It looked like he was swinging the sword to deflect all bullets, and swinging the sword to cut people, and swinging the sword to cut up a car - very, very slowly. I saw that precision strikes required slow motion or long pauses and cutting down the awning looked to be slow as well. This is RAIDEN. This is a guy who cut up a series of GEKKOs in the span of a minute with precision and dexterity and moves that would put Hayabusa to shame. And I compare him to that trailer (even compare it to Raiden at the start of the trailer) and I realize that he's going to play slow, like the traditional MGS style of control, and that's inexcusable.

Slow motion gameplay is a huge fucking turn-off for me, ESPECIALLY in an action game. Action is about maintaining pace and control, and that trailer showed a slower pace than I'd like and a control designed to make it slower.

Look, this may just be me misinterpreting the trailer and what's being shown to me, but this isn't Tactical Espionage Action. This is "Lightning Bolt Action." I'm seeing an attempt at a different genre, namely that of Devil May Cry and God of War, both in the change of the type of "Action" and in the gameplay presented in that trailer. And it looks... boring.

man, i hope you didnt play Shinobi on PS2

*shrugs* im hoping for a game like when i got to play ninja in MGS: VR missions (so awesome) with the story of Raiden rescuing Sunny from the Patriots somewhere between MGS 2 and 4.

almost half of that trailer was a freaking cutscene. after that, the first bit pauses for dramatic effect, and the only time (non-melon) i saw slow-mo, it was with a fancy blue line making it look player-induced. i think you're reading a bit much here.

*edit: watching it again, yeah, slow-mo looks like an ability/feature. not sure how you're clowning on slicing through building foundation/vans etc, dude moves like the gekko-taking-down ninja i recall.

man, i hope you didnt play Shinobi on PS2

*shrugs* im hoping for a game like when i got to play ninja in MGS: VR missions (so awesome) with the story of Raiden rescuing Sunny from the Patriots somewhere between MGS 2 and 4.

almost half of that trailer was a freaking cutscene. after that, the first bit pauses for dramatic effect, and the only time (non-melon) i saw slow-mo, it was with a fancy blue line making it look player-induced. i think you're reading a bit much here.

*edit: watching it again, yeah, slow-mo looks like an ability/feature. not sure how you're clowning on slicing through building foundation/vans etc, dude moves like the gekko-taking-down ninja i recall.

He's spamming attack moves. Not the same dude. Do you remember the dude that did some capoeira shit with two mechs attached to his feet by cables? Where's DAT ninja?

Taking out the phenominal watermelon cutting footage, we see a whopping 12 seconds of actual gameplay. I think it's a tad premature to make ANY judgements about the gameplay, especially given Kojima's record of being coy with initial trailers.

Plus both the van and the watermelon scene show that you dont HAVE to be in slow-mo to pull off a precision cut.

Personally, I both thinking and hoping that this is post MGS4.

My only worry is that it's not Kojima's A team working on this one....

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

Taking out the phenominal watermelon cutting footage, we see a whopping 12 seconds of actual gameplay. I think it's a tad premature to make ANY judgements about the gameplay, especially given Kojima's record of being coy with initial trailers.

Plus both the van and the watermelon scene show that you dont HAVE to be in slow-mo to pull off a precision cut.

Personally, I both thinking and hoping that this is post MGS4.

My only worry is that it's not Kojima's A team working on this one....

The watermelon precision took a long time to aim up properly and wouldn't lend itself to fast combat, as did the FIRST car strike. The second one wasn't aimed. And if some of the gameplay shown, namely the slow-mo, is touted as a gameplay feature, I an certainly point to it as something I find lacking.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Man, when I preordered mine, the SKU wasn't up for the CE. I'm effectively getting the vanilla version for $39.99 (Best Buy now does $20 reward zone cert for most high profile games for gamer's club members who preorder) so it's going to be hard for me to justify the $149.99 price tag.

Still...I bet that plasma lab is going to look awesome....

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY