Hondo's Bar

Timecrimes

Rented this flick from Blockbuster a month or two ago and been meaning to post about it. Anyone else seen/heard of it? If not, definately check it out! I do suggest renting it from Blockbuster tho, as there is a "Blockbuster exclusive" feature on the dvd that makes the film worthy of back to back viewings IMO.

timecrimes.jpg

From what I've heard, a domestic adaptation is in the works for 2010-11. Do yourselves a favor and check it out before we royally fuck it up.

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

Yeah they're doing "Blockbuster Exsclusive" for I Sell The Dead as well (a movie that sounds like pure distilled awesome) and it pisses me off, because who buys Blockbuster's expensive fucking movies? Who even fucking GOES to Blockbuster anymore?

Anyway, I read about this in Fangoria but it didn't sell me. Can you give me some examples of why it's great, spoil it for me as I don't care about spoilers, and if you don't mind explain the reason the exsclusive version is the Cadillac of the DVD versions?

The name kinda gives it away but it's a very "realistic" portrayal of the ramifications of time travel. I once read an article on the subject that said that we'd know we created a time machine when we build it, turn it on, and some guy from the future gets out. It deals with time travel in a similar way to the independent film from a few year's back Primer, except while Primer had a more documentary feel, this is presented more as a thriller. In the normal cut, the film is presented from the perspective of the main character, so time is subjective. The "exclusive cut" is the film shuffled to be linear in time, from the perspective of an outsider. It's neat to see how the film works differently in the two cuts. If you are not at all interested in time travel, maybe pass on this one.

The name kinda gives it away but it's a very "realistic" portrayal of the ramifications of time travel. I once read an article on the subject that said that we'd know we created a time machine when we build it, turn it on, and some guy from the future gets out. It deals with time travel in a similar way to the independent film from a few year's back Primer, except while Primer had a more documentary feel, this is presented more as a thriller. In the normal cut, the film is presented from the perspective of the main character, so time is subjective. The "exclusive cut" is the film shuffled to be linear in time, from the perspective of an outsider. It's neat to see how the film works differently in the two cuts. If you are not at all interested in time travel, maybe pass on this one.

Which cut do you prefer?

oh yeah, eli downloaded this a couple of months ago...i liked it a lot. nick's got it on his drive waiting...waiting...waiting...

Yeah well he's had Dead-Alive/Braindead since shortly after Halloween. I plan to follow him around blasting the song from the six flags commercials and hitting him with a nerf bat until he breaks down and watches it if he hasn't by Hondos-Con

oh yeah, eli downloaded this a couple of months ago...i liked it a lot. nick's got it on his drive waiting...waiting...waiting...

hey man, im on season 3 of Deadwood now. you should see my gaming queue! ive got shit from '04 in there!

and yeah, Dead-Alive is on the drive, its all on the living room PC now, under movies folder, so go nuts. i put it on memory stick i use here at work though, so you know, soon enough .

• 2 weeks later...

Do yourself a favor and make the space on your drive by deleting Dead Alive (I have plenty of zombie flicks you can/should watch first). Also, it'll move Timecrimes up on the list (but only up one, cause no matter what anybody says Nick'll watch what he wants WHEN he wants). Here's my review:

AWESOME! Thank you, Jon.

Greatest movie about time travel without a DeLorean (probably still better). For real though, GREAT FUCKING FILM! Nick, seriously, you need to get over your 'Nickness' and watch this a.s.a.p. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

AWESOME! Thank you, Jon.

No need to thank me Panch. Bringing awesome into people's lives, it's just what I do (that, and protecting the free world!)

Nick'll watch what he wants WHEN he wants

Oh, and don't forget play what he wants WHEN he wants. Kid sat on my copy of Assasin's Creed so long I'm surprised it didn't hatch!

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

Oh and I forgot... the 'chronological cut' of the film! Great addition! But it CAN ONLY be watched theatrical version first. The whole movie (and everything it does to your mind) will be ruined. Otherwise your mind will explode! Shit, if this doesn't make it on the regular DVD then I'm renting the 'Blockbuster Exclusive' and never giving it back!

WATCH IT NOW, NICK!

he's not kidding. my last achievement before last week says april '08...im a horrible cunt and john's a saint. i swear that game'll be done in a week or so's time, and to completion to make it worth it too!!

im grateful "nickisms" arent their own thread as sen once made. im watching band of brothers and posting here tonight, but how bout this - timecrimes gets done by the end of my shift tomorrow night, and ill reply here. between LL, space and panch, there's too much hype now.

• 1 month later...

so....this is officially the "dark groundhog day", following marvel's current direction.

i really enjoyed it, it was like a good episode of the Twilight Zone. you knew where things were going, but you didnt know how they'd get there. the first act was the only real horror; after that, it was suspense, trying to see if he'd be smart enough to deviate and possibly create alternate timelines just to break the Run Lola Run esque chian, but the finale twist - him thinking he'd outsmarted himself by subbing the bicycle chick as clara, just to repeat the loop - that was awesome.

this was great, best time travel piece ive seen since 12 monkeys. and i liked Frequency, so that's saying something.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...