Hondo's Bar

The Wire

The NZA

wire_s4posterart_506x190.jpg

This one's been catching hype for a while, anyone seen/know about it? Here's what HBO's site said:

One of the most critically acclaimed programs on air, the Peabody Award-winning drama series 'The Wire' continues to challenge viewers with a "cop show" unlike anything on television.

Season four of 'The Wire' centers on the lives of four young boys as they traverse adolescence in the drug-saturated streets of West Baltimore. The new episodes of the series examine their world through the theme of education, asking viewers to consider the world that awaits these boys, and to consider further the American commitment to equal opportunity.

"The American obsession with police procedural and crime drama usually only allows for villains - in large part, black and brown - who exist as foils, to be pursued and destroyed by cop heroes," says series creator and executive producer David Simon. "We're addressing ourselves to where the 'villains' actually come from, and whether we have any right to regard them as somehow less human than the rest of us."

This season of 'The Wire' is based in large part on the experiences of writer and producer Edward Burns, who taught social studies for seven years in the Baltimore school system after serving 20 years as a city police detective.

"If anything," says Burns, "our depiction of an inner-city school system, it problems and its unwillingness to fully address those problems, is a very generous one."

• 3 months later...

wallpaper_mcnulty_640x480.jpg

"If you trace the drugs you'll find drug dealers and drug addicts, but if you start to trace the money... it can go anywhere."

The Wire. Watch it.

It's about police work, drug kingpins, drug dealers, drug addicts, fucked up politics, dock workers, helping kids off the corners, violence, sex, booze, deceit, surveillance (hence the wire) - all in the city of Baltimore, Maryland.

The city is nothing but a huge pile of dead bodies, drugs, and corrupt fucks in office who don't really give a shit about the social situation, only the stats matter. However, some characters try to make a difference, but they're usually the one's to get fucked in the ass.

All seasons deal with each other, and every season will answer certain unanswered questions left off previously. A lot of the key, sometimes minor, characters will appear and appear again when you least expect them. Personally one of my favorite characters is Omar Little.

"If you come after the king you best not miss". Omar

Personally I think:

Season one was excellent.

Season two was great.

Season three was, ... alright.

Season four was SUPERB.

Seriously, after watching this show I'm more inclined to get into criminal justice... The characters are very believable as are the issues they deal with too. If you're like me, you'll find yourself rooting for most of the characters (cops, drug dealers, addicts) and when one of them is gone... you'll cry because it's sad.

Edited by Senshik

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

finally got around to seeing this, knee-deep into season 3 now.

This show's really great. Like Senshik said, what seperates it from others i like, like The Shield is the fact that its not necessarily demonizing the drug culture or the low-level weed carriers/dealers. The cast gets large but you're given time to get familiar with them, and on the micro level, you're shown what homicide/narcotics units get to deal with from middle management all the way up to agenda-setting from city councilmen, much less the effectiveness of the cases they build when no one on the street level talks, and those strung out enough to do so are left unprotected & found dead long before they could be discredited in court.

What's also cool is the shift of the scope in various seasons: again, 1 gives you that micro look at the street and who's on top, how they insulate themselves etc, but season 2 takes you to the docks to show you where the supply comes from, and what other bad things make it overseas. The politicians find themselves demonized on this show more than low-level dealers, and the show's ability to make you care, much less empathize, with both sides of the conflict - to me - shows strong writing. Again, not knocking the Shield 'cause i love the show, but its a bit easier to show the cops bending rules, "doing wrong for the right reasons" without having to show the squalor living conditions/environment around them, much less failed attempts at doing right.

Its HBO so there's titties, drama & cussing galore but the feel that you're really looking at an inner-city police dept - including various units, chiefs (and their various agendas), feds etc - feels about as accurate as you can imagine such a show being. Again, really recommend this song to more Hondonians into this kinda thing - Deadwood's up next for me, but im glad i took sen's recommendation and gave this one a try, its a great show.

I love this show. I was almost at the end of season 3 when Tim got here and I started all over again for his benefit with no complaints. Everything Nick and Sen tell you is true. One of the best shows ever. I NEVER liked cop dramas before this show, but its really different. Personally, I though Season 2 was the strongest so far. The show itself deals with true humantiy of everyone involved, whether they are cop or criminal, and blurs the lines between who are the REAL criminals and who are the REAL victims. Like Sen, one of my favorite characters is Omar, but I've got a lot of love for Bubs too.

Frank Sebotka was one of the greatest characters I've ever seen on television. That was a very well written character. He was fucking Shakespearean. Can't wait to see seasons 4 and 5! I love Netflix...

heh, didnt know that.

Tu, i share not only your love for Bubs, but looking at it from the end of season 3, the 2nd one was indeed great - the blue collar/everyman story did come off shakespearean (reminded me a bit of A Bronx Tale, at parts) but I loved Frank, and his tragic plight.

MH - ive burned all 5 seasons to DVD now, once im done ill check with Sen since she intends on buyin em anyway, and if you like, ill try sending them your way.

i thought s2 was the worst (although it was great), i prefer the whole gangsta shit

s4 is dope though man it's all about the schools and the kids. wait until you see marlo stanfield - makes string and the barksdales look like pussies

the wire has to be the best thing televisions done though, through the whole "visual novel" approach of it all, it shows TV is a respectable art form

Lester Freamon is such a G later on nza you just wait

Edited by Lorelei

Yeah, Freamon has been one of my favorites from early on. I'm not as enchanted with McNulty as I'm supposed to be. Although his undercover stint in S2 was HILARIOUS. Maybe the look on Pearlman's face when she finds out is the funniest part about it but...

Anyway, someone writing fot that show has a serious jones for The Pogues. Love it.

Gotta say, Brother Mouzone is a pretty awesome character too. I think its a great fake out.

*Side note: Delaney Williams who plays Landsman is my former boss' cousin. Its like the fucking Patty Duke show. They are IDENTICAL. My former boss, Pat is about 70-80lbs lighter, but the resemblance is beyond extreme. Don't believe me? Go to www.pasticheme.com

how can you go on about characters and not mention OMAR?

he might be a faggot but that guy has to be the most bad ass character in the Wire.

him and brother m fuck string up well good. such a dope scene that. "WELL GET ON WITH IT MUTHAF--"

isn't the last ep with mcnulty getting his fair well party in that bar depressing?

oh, the undercover shit with birtish mcnulty was class, but yes, i dont know how it didnt come up before (Sen got me into his fan club) but Omar is the fucking shit.

the moment in s2 with

him in the courtroom talking shit to the crooked lawyer was such a huge payoff.

Glad to see a few of you giving THE WIRE some love!

After re-watching it with Nick, I have to say that my original opinion about the third season have changed. It's actually up there with the first season now. In the order of favorite seasons, I have to say the following:

Season four

Season two

Season one/three

Season five

Favorite characters, to name of few:

Omar

Bubs (Forgive me for not giving him love previously, but indeed deserves his dues)

Freamon

Cutty - Denis (I love him!)

Bunny (major of the western district from 3rd season)

Bunk

Kima

The Corner Boys (season four's main characters)

Proposition Joe

D'angelo/Wallace (I just can't get over them)

McNulty's aight, and I have love for him, but I'm going for the characters that really touched my heart and makes me think about words they've said even after having watched the show.

Loreliel, whatever the fuck your name is, I disagree with you on Marlo. I think he's a punk kid, although I give him credit for not being dumb. maybe I'm biased cuz i think Avon and Stringer were much more interesting targets.

• 5 months later...

Prez became one of the characters I liked the most toward the end. Idiot Savant thought he may be. Carver too. Its funny how it was obvious from the first season how Carver and Herk would turn out individually--pretty much as expected--I thought that was a cool piece of continuity. I still love the second to last episode of season 2--with the Greek music-. What I loved about the final episode was

How all the characters who had died or moved on had their roles filled by other younger people--Carver became the new Colvin--Duquan the new Bubs, Michael the new Omar, Sydnor filled McNulty's shoes, and so on. Very cool final episode.

Prez became one of the characters I liked the most toward the end. Idiot Savant thought he may be. Carver too. Its funny how it was obvious from the first season how Carver and Herk would turn out individually--pretty much as expected--I thought that was a cool piece of continuity. I still love the second to last episode of season 2--with the Greek music-. What I loved about the final episode was

How all the characters who had died or moved on had their roles filled by other younger people--Carver became the new Colvin--Duquan the new Bubs, Michael the new Omar, Sydnor filled McNulty's shoes, and so on. Very cool final episode.

Yes, the finale was one of the best episodes in TV history. It was a complete and total payoff for fans of the series. I loved how it expressed the cyclical nature of the war on drugs. It summed up the tragic futility of this "War" quite beautifully.

Absolutely. I have a friend who taught in a Baltimore city school before The Wire came out. After she saw S4 she said that is exactly what it was like. Its rare that you see a show that not only addresses the class nature of the war on drugs, but also the political forces that intentionally hinder the project that the government took on and the reasons why. Awesome writing. There was an interview with Wendell Pierce on one of the special serves. He said that The Wire shows that "there is in fact an underclass" and the show points out who it benefits to keep those people there.

• 4 months later...
Just started watching this.. Omar and McNulty are both full of win.

Welcome to the greatest drama ever! Heh, and definitely avoid the spoilers in here. If memory serves McNulty seems to get less airtime in S3 &S4, but both of those characters get great stories in S5.