Hondo's Bar

The Wire

The NZA

Just started season 2 yesterday watched the firsts four episodes in a row, I'm off all this week so hopin' to get 2 finished and 3 started by Friday.

Season 1 is some of the best television I've ever seen, as good as Sopranos and Deadwood

Edited by alive she cried

Just started season 2 yesterday watched the firsts four episodes in a row, I'm off all this week so hopin' to get 2 finished and 3 started by Friday.

Season 1 is some of the best television I've ever seen, as good as Sopranos and Deadwood

glad to hear it man, lemme know what you make of season 4. i was fond of 2, myself, but 4 was really something else.

shit was so good, im still sitting on season 5, part of me doesnt wanna see how it ends, but its between this one and deadwood as far as what i get into next.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally watching the final season, i just dont want to see this come to an end, but shit's too compelling to stop. This might be HBO's best show yet, i wanna see Deadwood before i say for sure but its up top for me so far and that's saying a lot, i love HBO shows.

i cannot tire of Waits' "Down in the hole" somehow.

...ok, done. i agree with the prior statement; the final episode ties shit up nicely, really captures the show's essense.

Tu's right about the cycle and who becomes who, but fuck, micheal becoming omar was the best thing about it for me, hands down - so awesome to see, likely cause i love the fact dude looks just like a young Nas. Dookie taking up Bubs' old route was heartbreaking though.

I see why Sen didnt seem to like season 5 as much, as the direction initially felt off/weird, but really, was it any different from Hamsterdam?

the event really showed how people like Daniels cant change a thing, why politicians like Carcetti are they way they are (to have any chance of moving up), and why someone as bright as Lester would run with shit outside the lines after so many years of having real policework shat on in the name of making better #'s for mayors.

I even enjoyed the sidestory of the newsroom more than i thought i would, the show was well balanced to manage all that.

HBO's had good shows going for years, but this might be the best yet for me - if you want a look at the failures of the drug war (and many other systems) that also manages to entertain the shit out of you, this is it.

Finally watching the final season, i just dont want to see this come to an end, but shit's too compelling to stop. This might be HBO's best show yet, i wanna see Deadwood before i say for sure but its up top for me so far and that's saying a lot, i love HBO shows.

i cannot tire of Waits' "Down in the hole" somehow.

That's it, I'm posting you his discography. You still at the same address?

wait, they're showing this on FX there? does the cussing just get censored out, or...? odd.

In Ireland and I think the UK you can show whatever the fuck you want on whatever channel you want after 21:00

Started season 3 recently, God I love this show

yessir, same address, feel free. that's cool to hear though, anything goes after 9PM...here i was thinkin the pope might still be watching at that hour.

Yeah but then we go ahead and do this shit Ireland to introduce blashemy law

One step forward two steps back.

Season 3's good, not as good as 4. what'd you make of 2?

I fucking loved seasons 1 and 2, season 3 isn't as good so far but i'm only onto episode three so we'll see how it goes

• 3 weeks later...

So yeah, i just finished this a few days ago after putting the last few eps off.

I love the way some of the endings were tied up

Michael being like the new omar, dukie the new bubs and sydnor being like the new mcnulty in dealing with the judge, i also loved how they left marlow's fate as quite ambigious and as if he, like avon, was too street for what stringer wanted to do and what maurice wanted him to do. I thought partlow and wee bay chatting was a nice touch, as was slim charles (who i shone to a lot for some reason) capping cheese and leading the co-op. How omar died was a big big fucking shock for me though, i was hoping for some epic gun fight

I'm now at a loss as to what to watch to fill the void....

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished this. Aargh I thought season 5 was both brillaint and stupid.

There's no way, no fucking way Freeman would've gone along with that shit. McNulty was just another Cassidy, he really let me down. Marlot get's off? Fuck off, throw us a fucking bone here. It wasn't all bad though,things I liked: Carcetti becoming just another politician, Bubs having a happy ending, Michael killing Snoop (god i hated that cunt), Michael becoming the new Omar and all of the cyclical characters in the last episode.

For me Season's 1, 2 and 4 were the best, 3 was wasn't too far behind and 5 was a let down by The Wire's standards but still a great season of tv.

Still can't pick a favourite between this Soprano's and Deadwood

haha, Snoop's death was indeed satisfying. see, Mcnulty was so washed up and tired of the system, i didnt see it as such a stretch, but it did get fucked by the end...i initially thought Lester getting on board was a stretch, too, but a retiring detective who's had all his real work shut down for politics, wanting to do something real on the way out the door....the concept grew on me.

Marlot was irrelevant, he was the new Barksdale: too much solider to run shit right, and even when he's out, there's tons waiting for his seat. Micheal was indeed the best for me, and yeah, Carcetti was a politician in the end indeed. seeing everyone dance to the tune of mcnulty's scam was an entertaining trainwreck, though.

I loved Deadwood, and really Enjoyed Sopranos but i

ts hard to focus on the better bits when the last season spent half its time in a coma, and then rushed towards its controversial end, you know?

• 1 year later...

The Wire "re-imagined" in Dickensian London. It's super geeky cool.

Here's a taste. Click the link for the full "review."

The Wire began syndication in 1846, and was published in 60 installments over the course of six years. Each installment was 30 pages, featuring covers and illustrations by Baxter “Bubz” Black, and selling for one shilling each. After the final installment, The Wire became available in a five volume set, departing from the traditional three.

Bucklesby Ogden himself has most often been compared to Charles Dickens. Both began as journalists, and then branched out with works such as Pickwick Papers and The Corner. While Dickens found popularity and eventual fame in his successive work, Ogden took a darker path.

Dickens’ success for the most part lies in his mastery of the serial format. Other serialized authors were mainly writing episodic sketches linked together only loosely by plot, characters, and a uniformity of style. With Oliver Twist, only his second volume of work, Dickens began to define an altogether new type of novel, one that was more complex, more psychologically and metaphorically contiguous. Despite this, Dickens retained a heightened awareness of his method of publication. Each installment contained a series of elements engineered to give the reader the satisfaction of a complete arc, giving the reader the sense of an episode, complete with a beginning, middle, and end.

1642.jpg

• 1 year later...

Perfection +1, ASC. Although, be careful; on my third viewing I actually stopped laughing and started singing along and wondering, "Hey, Mel Brooks, Spidey, even Newsies become Broadway successes--why NOT make The Wire a musical!!??!?" I finally came to my senses mid-way through crafting a petition to send to Dvaid Simon.

I'd still by a ticket if it happened though. Sad but true.

I've recently started rewatching The Wire. Yes, that's right rewatching. I'm picking up on so much stuff I had completely forgotten about. It's still so fresh a second time around. There's just no show that comes close to The Wire for me.

First person mentions Game of Thrones gets an ass whoopin'

You watching DLs or on DVD, Crim? Every time the "complete series" pop up on sale I'm tempted to go in for 'em, but ultimately resist. I've already got five or six series on DVD/blu ray to re-watch. I'd really like to watch some of those episodes w/ the commentary tracks some day though.

I should really watch this show someday.

I watched the pilot a few years back and just shrugged and went "meh", but it's one of those things where there are just too many people with respectable taste (not counting Haku) that rave about it. I know that a lot of good shows take more than an episode to get going. I really didn't give it a fair shake.

Re-adding to the queue.

• 1 month later...

Ohdeargod this is awesome.

<div></div>" rel="external nofollow">http://d.yimg.com/nl/vyc/site/player.html#repeat=0&startScreenCarouselUI=hide&browseCarouselUI=hide&vid=29977908&shareUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fscreen.yahoo.com%2Fthe-lego-wire-29977908.html"></div>

What's up his ass?

No one liked our season!

Gettin' myself a trumpet and movin' to N'awlins.

My name's Dookie for starters.