Hondo's Bar

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

The NZA

B00024W1U6.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64281145_.jpg

So, bishop'd been pushing this one, and his taste in games is damn near spot-on with mine a lot of times, so i shouldve taken heed, but Persona for the PS1 (during the dark, pre-FFVII rpg days) was confusing for me and i never finished it, whcih was a rarity in that time. Anyway, i kept noticing sites/forums with people that were disenfrahcnished with the FF series (before XII), going on about how mainstream RPGs had gotten formulaic in plot, and that more of them should be like this one. I had to find out.

Ive honestly only managed to log a few hours into this one, but i can already tell its one I want to get way more into...you're a student in a japanese town, on an otherwise normal-looking day, looking to meet a friend of yours around the hospital. There's talk of unrest and cult activity and such, but things're otherwise mundane. The hosptial's practically empty, but by the time you find much of anything, youre with your teacher on the roof, and youre literally watching the apocalypse.

The world ends around you. You only survive because you were there, and some mysterious figures inject a demon into you. Having the world end to a demonic armageddon in the first hour or so clearly isnt standard fare.

The engine is still like persona in that its a traditional RPG with more options, like talking or some form of capturing certain enemies, it looks a bit more complex than usual but nowadays ive got gamefaqs.com to sort things out - anyway, in case there's somehow a j-rpg fan on here that also hasnt gone next-gen yet, its really worth checking out.

(Ive no idea how digitial devil saga went, and devil summoner i havent even seen a review for yet...)

It is, but (and i could be wrong) its more a style than connecting stories.

Agian, Persona, i believe, is in the line - but there's Shin Megami Digitial Devil Saga 1 & 2, most recently Devil Summoner, but agian, i know dick about those, hoping for bishopcruz to chime in (mebbe Newt?) but i can definitely recommend Nocturne.

I've not seriously enjoyed an RPG made after the PS2 came out, there's been some that were mild entertainment but none can match Final Fantasy 4, Final Fantasy 6, Breath of Fire 1-3, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, and Phantasy Star 4 (That's right Final Fantasy 7 isn't on the list... bite me) but I found some mild enjoyment in this (moreso than Final Fantasy X or any other next-gen RPG) it's kind of like a mixture between Pok'emon and Dragon Warrior 3 (Least I think it was that one) I don't think I'd ever buy it but I did enjoy it , Digital Devils Saga, not so much

Okay, the SMT games are friggen awesome, I have played all of the games in the main series (though I only beat part 1), Nocturne is part 3. There have been a ton of spinoffs, the most well known ones are the Persona games, Persona 1 I fell in love with because it was so different, and Persona 2 was amazing. Other spinoffs are the Devil Summoner series which were supposed to be amazing, but we never got any except for this new one.

Digital Devil Saga is a spinoff of nocturne, and pretty good, though not as good as Nocturne itself. The game had 2 parts, I've only played the first.

Glad you finally got around to it IC, the game is just amazing as you get deeper into it.

holy assballs, this game is kinda hard. the random battles can fuck you up, and the bosses...take work.

Its a lot easier since my slow ass (around level 20) finally figured out demon fusion, ive taken 2 mediocre ones & made something better, that with the new recruits has finally brought me a viable team, for the moment. I havent mastered which spells to go with in what scenario (tho stat-affecting ones are way more useful in this than any other RPG that comes to mind) but im working on it, ive got a slew of heavy hitters at the moment.

Just beat Thor, god of bullshit judtice systems, and got my ass handed to me (somehow) by

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

anyway, i think im fairly decent into the game, but its less than 15 hours, prolly cause ive died so much. ive really come around to the engine, and the plot just keeps you coming, no matter how hard it gets, cause ive got to figure out what the fuck went down, much less what my guy can do about it.

This one's a blast cause i wasnt even in the mood for an RPG, it just sucked me in.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

i cant believe how much stat spells affect this game...time to go level up some more.

• 1 year later...

yeah, maldron: did you finish that one? i think bishop might've but im not certain. the extra dungeons, certainly not.

speaking of, man's not here cause he's knee-deep in the new build of Persona 3.

Persona 3 is digital crack. I'm 50+ hours in and I still have like 6 months to go. Jesus fucking christ it sucks time away. It is awesome though.

SMT3 is a cooler game, though not a friendly, the actual dungeons and exploration aspect friggen OWN P3. I still have yet to beat it, the game is a BEAST!!!

• 2 months later...

Almost done with 'The Journey' part of Persona 3, GAH the last boss is a motherfucking WHORE!! WHORE I say!!! Gotta level some, well, less my guy and more my retarded buddies.

I have to give this game credit though, I never thought I'd play an RPG where you can get more 'tang than Fallout 2. Bravo Atlus.

props. im getting my ass whupped but good by the boss of floor 135 or so, some constantly-fucking-megido-casting-table. i gotta go level up the characters i dont use (the kid, the dog, junpei etc) and see if they fair better with their resistances.

ive maxed the monk and chihiro s links, here's to hoping for more soon, much less the ability to take advantage of the personas they unlocked one day.

congrats, and thanks for the help with the goddamn table! #$%@ im stuck leveling yuka, junpei & the dog and hoping for the best.

i too wonder if newt finished. so how'd the ending hold up? dont forget, i have the manga if you want further reading.

I'd give more advice but I honestly can't remember tactics for specific bosses.

Found this online, I remember the boss now, he was a bitch.

Now, this can definitely be one of the harder bosses inside Tartarus. First, the

boss blocks strike attacks and is strong against the other two physical types,

as well as fire. The two biggest moves you'll want to watch out for are Megidola

and Maragidyne, which are definitely its strongest attacks. A good party to use

is Junpei and Koromaru, at least, for their resistance to fire. Your third

member is up to you, but it might be wise to bring Yukari for healing purposes.

The boss also knows Hamaon, which will most likely connect on Koromaru a few

times, but it doesn't use the move that often. It also knows Evil Touch, which

inflicts the Fear status, and it can follow up with Ghastly Wail, which will

instantly kill anyone that has the Fear status.

A very good Persona to use in this battle is Saki Mitama (can get one from a

Shuffle), which is strong against fire and has two very good skills in its

repertoire. At level 42, it learns Mediarama, which is a very good healing spell

to have for this battle (Yukari also learns this at level 43). At level 45, it

will also learn Divine Grace, which boosts the capabilities of healing spells.

If you have a Persona with Revolution (Power learns it at 30, Jikokuten learns

it at 31 and Eligor starts with it), then use that spell to increase the chances

of Junpei or Koromaru scoring a critical hit, then follow up with an All-Out

Attack. Tarunda and Marakukaja (Junpei learns Marakukaja at level 44) also both

help a lot.

If it makes you feel better, the next bosses were cake, especially with the Incubus/Succubus combo attack.

looks like you needed to use those characters you weren't leveling. I don't remember using the dog until later myself, but it's usually a good idea to keep leveling people.

Archived