Hondo's Bar

Raimi to direct 'World of Warcraft' movie

Raimi to direct 'World of Warcraft' movie

23/07/2009 - 08:42:51

Sam Raimi has signed on to direct the big-screen adaptation of the videogame franchise 'World of Warcraft'.

The 'Spider Man' director will oversee 'Warcraft' once he finishes work on the fourth installation of the superhero movie.

Sam will pair up with 'The Dark Knight' producer Charles Roven to develop the film from the fantasy fighting game in which the 'Warcraft' universe first emerged.

The live-action film will be backed by Legendary Picture and computer game publishers Blizzard Entertainment, while Warner Brothers will be in charge of distribution.

Sam is due to start work on 'Spider Man 4' with Columbia Pictures next year, before preparing 'Warcraft' for release in 2011.

Video game designer Chris Metzen - who founded the 'World of Warcraft' software in 1994 - is working closely with scriptwriters on the storyline.

The movie is expected to be a box-office hit following the huge international success of the series of video games.

'World of the Warcraft' has seen massive online success as a multi-player fighting game and sales of the latest version 'Wrath of the Lich King' sold over four million copies in the first month.

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainment/r...vie-419757.html

There is a lot of lore and story in WoW. People just usually don't pay much attention to it.

Shoot, and here I was hoping for Uwe Boll's triumphant return to the genre of fantasy movies based on video games. If only he could have done for WoW what he did for Dungeon Seige.

*shudders*

There is a lot of lore and story in WoW. People just usually don't pay much attention to it.

uh...any of it in any way not derivative of LoTR or any other fantasy film that's likely already done it better? cause if not, im with drifter voting for Uwe.

I've seen nothing saying it's a World of Warcraft movie other than people calling it that because that's the most popular incarnation of the series at present, the movie is just going by the title "Warcraft" so I'm assuming it will be chronicling the invasion of the Orcs through the dark portal and all that. Or they may skip ahead a bit because fans of the Tauren and Night Elves may get pissed off what with them not popping up until movie 3 if they go by the game's chronology (and make a 3rd movie, though lets be honest, tapping into that World of Warcraft fanbase is a liscence to print money. Case in point, Mountain Dew Game Fuel, a drink that tastes like Kerosene and Halls Fruit Breezers.

I've heard from one friend that it'll be focused on the Alliance a year before World of Warcraft. This and the post I made at the beginning of the thread are the only things I've come across, but I'm not exactly looking too hard.

uh...any of it in any way not derivative of LoTR or any other fantasy film that's likely already done it better? cause if not, im with drifter voting for Uwe.

Name any fantasy story written after LoTR (and has elves and dwarves) that hasn't been heavily influenced by it. All the same, Uwe Boll's a horrible, hateful thing to wish on any movie.

Things that WONT be in the Warcraft Movie:

1. Instance not available please try later...

2. The world server is down...

3. Riding halfway across the continent to see some old crazed bint about a bit of seaweed.

4. After completing half of the movie, our hero's will go AFK beacuse their mom's are screaming at them..

5. Our hero's will be ganked by level 80's repetively, 20 min into the movie.

6. Random characters running in front of the screen blocking our heroes way so that they can show of the items they just got from the auction house.

7. 90% of the films extras being Death Knights who spend most of the film conjuring up their steeds making that god awful noise.

8. 10 minutes into every Tuesdays screening of the film text will pop up in the left hand corner saying "the movie will shut down for scheduled maintenance in 14:59 sec"

9. A beautiful panoramic view of stormwind is shown as our hero nears it for the first time, slowly the camera starts do do a 360 of him in all of his lvl 80 glory as he crosses the bridge....... when suddenly thousands of lowly lvl 14's whisper to him. "I'll pay you 1g if you walk me through stormkeep.

Things that WONT be in the Warcraft Movie:

1. Instance not available please try later...

2. The world server is down...

3. Riding halfway across the continent to see some old crazed bint about a bit of seaweed.

4. After completing half of the movie, our hero's will go AFK beacuse their mom's are screaming at them..

5. Our hero's will be ganked by level 80's repetively, 20 min into the movie.

6. Random characters running in front of the screen blocking our heroes way so that they can show of the items they just got from the auction house.

7. 90% of the films extras being Death Knights who spend most of the film conjuring up their steeds making that god awful noise.

8. 10 minutes into every Tuesdays screening of the film text will pop up in the left hand corner saying "the movie will shut down for scheduled maintenance in 14:59 sec"

9. A beautiful panoramic view of stormwind is shown as our hero nears it for the first time, slowly the camera starts do do a 360 of him in all of his lvl 80 glory as he crosses the bridge....... when suddenly thousands of lowly lvl 14's whisper to him. "I'll pay you 1g if you walk me through stormkeep.

LMAO that's awesome! Definitely a movie I look forward to, but I hope it doesn't re-kindle my habit...

Archived