Hondo's Bar

Halo Legends

The NZA

source

504x_halolegendslogo.jpg

Microsoft is teaming with five production houses for a series of seven separate short films called Halo Legends.

The creative director overseeing the production is Shinji Aramaki, director of Appleseed and Appleseed Ex Machina. The shorts will be available on DVD and via digital media next year, but will preview on Xbox LIVE this fall on the Halo Waypoint. Waypoint will also feature content including podcasts, trailers and screen shots, some of it exclusive to the "experience." Microsoft will also offer fans a "career system" and player rankings tied to "in-game and out-of-game accomplishments."

eh, im not really into the IP either, but im interested knowing that the Ghost in the Shell director's on board.

I've only played with other people at LANs/whathaveyou, and never played the story mode, but Cj said it had a pretty good story to it. The trailer looked great (awesome score!), so I'm looking forward to this.

It's not a bad story, but it leaped derivative, scaled homage, and swan-dove straight into blatant ripoff.

It's not a bad story, but it leaped derivative, scaled homage, and swan-dove straight into blatant ripoff.

Oh noes! What did it ripoff?? I'm a curious kitten now. I suppose I could just turn around ask you in person, (or g-g-google it.) But that would be toooo easyyyy!

I'll have to get george in here(and back on hondos again) but we both really liked the story once you get into the books and shit, I dunno but it was fun, had some good action and the fact that you get to like other spartans besides the master chief. It's not tolkien or anything but it's fun and cool.

The biggest problem is the game pretty much ignore all the extra shit in the universe and that drives me nuts, at the very least they should have talked about some of the shit that went on inbetween but they took the lazy fuck way out and let it be.... pissed me off. This looks like the others of it's kind, a couple of good ones and proabbly mostly ok to not to good stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
I'll have to get george in here(and back on hondos again) but we both really liked the story once you get into the books and shit, I dunno but it was fun, had some good action and the fact that you get to like other spartans besides the master chief. It's not tolkien or anything but it's fun and cool.

The biggest problem is the game pretty much ignore all the extra shit in the universe and that drives me nuts, at the very least they should have talked about some of the shit that went on inbetween but they took the lazy fuck way out and let it be.... pissed me off. This looks like the others of it's kind, a couple of good ones and proabbly mostly ok to not to good stuff.

Look, Halo rips off a bunch of stuff, even in its novels, but it rips them off well, and works again, in that summer action blockbuster way. Not seeing Baytor's Starcraft and Half Life rip off things though. Not to mention Starcraft itself is a blatant ripoff of Warhammer 40k, that Blizzard didn't even bother to hide it. Alien and AVP? Don't really see that either. And Metroid? Those games, at least the ones released by the time of Halo's release barely had a story to begin with. Does it rip off stuff? Sure, but the idea of an ancient vanished race that was a progenitor to the rest of the galaxy isn't new. The idea of what the Halo's were was actually pretty intriguing, though I wouldn't be surprised if something similar had been done elsewere before.

I mean, the Fall of Reach backstory for the Spartans is in many ways based on Ender's Game, but the differences are enough and the pacing and execution are different enough that it doesn't matter.

Halo's story is in no way high art, but neither were any of the other stories that were mentioned.

Hope there is a high ratio of good to shit in this anime though than there has been in previous productions.

Look, Halo rips off a bunch of stuff, even in its novels, but it rips them off well, and works again, in that summer action blockbuster way. Not seeing Baytor's Starcraft and Half Life rip off things though. Not to mention Starcraft itself is a blatant ripoff of Warhammer 40k, that Blizzard didn't even bother to hide it. Alien and AVP? Don't really see that either. And Metroid? Those games, at least the ones released by the time of Halo's release barely had a story to begin with.

Half-Life: There are parasitic aliens that latch onto people and turn them into zombies, are you really not seeing the connection here?

StarCraft/AVP/Warhammer 40K/fucking Animorphs even: ALL are ripoffs of Starship Troopers. The only thing StarCraft blatantly stole from Warhammer is the Marines' armor. Halo has the same archetypes: Humans, buglike parasite aliens, and a hyper-advanced double jointed alien race that switches sides that start out as enemies to the humans but eventually become allies.

As for Metroid you have an uber-powerful parasitic aliens that threaten life in the entire galaxy and piece can only be regained by their destruction. The flood are metroids.

On most things i see eye to eye with you baytor, but in all seriousness, this is is being marketed to hard-core fans and younger fans as well. I'm not taking it so seriously, hell even Star Wars ripped off some of the greats...I've had entire classes based soley on debunking some of the most popular 'sci-fi' of our youth and the next generation*. Halo is trendsetter for the next-gen. originality isn't up for debate, it's how you can take an original idea and re-spin it to make an interest, in short, (becuase I hate long winded posts) even if we re-hash the good vs. evil a million different ways, it's still just that.

*as in proving it's been a gahzillion times over per generation. i could go into detail but i trust you are an avid reader and can think of plenty yourself.

You know, there's a difference between borrowing and ripping off. borrowing takes elements of other stories and weaves it into your own, whereas ripping off is more of a paint by numbers dealie. Halo borrows several successful story and FPS elements from other games, all the time.

And the metroid reference is a bit of a stretch. Metroids could be cool about stuff, even saved samus's life once. True story.

Archived