Hondo's Bar

Scribblenauts

The NZA

post217.png

I dont often get excited about handheld games, but this one's looking really cool: the system is, you type in damn near anything you can think of, and use that to get through the level. developers 5th cell are saying anything goes within the following rules:

Concrete Objects Only

No Proper Nouns

No Copyrighted Words

No Adjectives

E-E10 rated words only - this means No Vulgar/Offensive/Lewd/Drug/Alcohol related words

Other than that... it works

so far, that's been shown to apply to mythological creatures, some internet memes, all kinds of things. here's one impression from a guy at NeoGAF that got to try it out at E3:

I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wandering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.

...yeah. IGN spoke highly of their experience, featuring a shotgun-toting, skateboarding god who they summoned to fight Cthulhu. This one's looking pretty unique.

right? they're a small studio that from what ive seen, hasnt done much big-named stuff in the past, so i hope this gets advertised, i think it could sell a few systems, for all the work theyve put into it.

one gaming forum i go to (GAF) is so in love with it, theyve used the art style to redo their avatars. DS games, far as i know, tend to sell, but yeah, hope this one gets attention.

September.

Honestly, I keep watching this trailer and the other video on the official website and youtube videos like this one:

Everytime I watch these video, I am repeatedly flabbergasted. This is like...I have no words. A small part of me wishes it was available for other platforms, but the concept is clearly optimized for the DS. If it were to be available for something else, like the Wii, it wouldn't be as fun, so I'm glad it's going to force me to get the DS. This this is ten thousand percent bought.

Looks awesome, hope it can deliver. When I first saw the bottle challenge in the gameplay video, my immediate solution that popped in my head was "hmm, if I could glue a fishing pole to a kangaroo and a head of lettuce this would be easy".

This may be the game I have been waiting for.

Just saw the trailers today, even more excited for it to come out now! I could see this working for the Wii too, point and type with the remote. That would be great, and just imagine the database it could have...

• 1 month later...

game's out!

so far, its pretty fun. Im having a hard time drawing N's, almost never happens for me. R's are tricky too.

im already stuck on 1-11. there's a 2nd flower to pick up past a bee and an angry fish, way up high but if i fly over to it, it often wreck it. i go so pissed at said bee & fish, i tried "Death" and boom, the reaper took care of them no problem! but yeah, there's gotta be a way up there, im just tired and using too many bridges and guns (elevator was a decent idea till it hit the water below & fried me, heh).

Damn, I wanna play this.

so far, its pretty fun. Im having a hard time drawing N's, almost never happens for me. R's are tricky too.

im already stuck on 1-11. there's a 2nd flower to pick up past a bee and an angry fish, way up high but if i fly over to it, it often wreck it. i go so pissed at said bee & fish, i tried "Death" and boom, the reaper took care of them no problem! but yeah, there's gotta be a way up there, im just tired and using too many bridges and guns (elevator was a decent idea till it hit the water below & fried me, heh).

Grappling hook?

ok, so careful jetpack (not rocket pack!) manuevring works, but my prior idea ("portal") randomly summons other dimensional baddies, who beat up the bee and fish when i avoided them. not the desired effect, but it worked!

grappling hook wouldve been solid but there was nothing to hook onto. a wiser man wouldve added something on the other side, but ah well.

it was a solid idea, though. the portal idea is so unstable! sometimes you get aliens, sometimes monsters...last time, it was death again. i think im going to have to be more imaginative and stop chanting everytime i hit a roadblock, heh.

im at 2-7 or so. the early stages are so forgiving compared to the x-11 ones, heh. but yeah, the physics here are flawed (reminds me of LBP that way); its easy to click and move into the danger zone by accident when you were trying to interact with shit, or drop an item you really needed. fortunately, the levels are small enough where you dont feel so penalized for retrying.

what's also cool is "mastering a level" for more $ (you use it to open up new stages, natch). you go back to a level you beat, right? and you have to beat it 3x but not using any words you've used/are using again.

so, say the first stage: youve a chef, cop, firefighter and nurse, and all you have to do is give 2 of them things they'd want. easy enough, right? i gave the cop a donut, i think, and a hose for the FF. next time, a syringe for the nurse, spatula for the chef. next, cop gets gun, FF gets axe. for the finale, the FF got into a fire engine and i gave him a dalmation but i dont know that either took, so uh, stethoscope for the nurse, pot for the chef. done! and the game gave me the "prodigy" achievement-thing, which is cool but you can see where later levels are gonna be a nightmare with this formula: many are so easy when you go the first time with the obvious choice (bat for the pinata! skateboard for the ramp! etc) but can you do them again 3x in a row, back-to-back, while being timed? shit gets interesting.

I'm lovin' this game. For the one you were talking about with the bee and the fish, I used a shark to take 'em out and took a helicopter to the cliff.

I was especially proud of the "Clean up all the trash in the park and get rid of the fly" level. I just started a forest fire and burned it all to the ground. Mission accomplished.

For those that have it, try this out:

Make a hippo.

Make Grandma ride it.

Put a top hat on Grandma.

Glue a unicycle to the top hat.

Make a bear ride the unicycle.

Let the nonsense overload commence.

So I finally got this last night, and I have to say I've been disappointed by a few omissions. Firstly and foremost, I have a guy in a desert and I have to refresh him. Naturally, I type in 'smoothie.' The game doesn't have 'smoothie.'

When I went back to redo the give the cop/firefighter/doctor/chef something they would use, I type in 'taser' and the game does have 'taser' either. Consider all the press the game got for the inclusion of internet memes like keyboard cat and rickroll and lolcat, and the popularity of the 'Don't Tase Me, Bro' meme, you'd think 'taser' would be in it. But no.

Also, I don't know how to fight a tornado if 'low pressure system' is not in the game, and Zeus and God are not cooperative in taking it down for me. And evidently, tornadoes don't cancel out other tornadoes.

Also, shrinking potion just gives you a bottle that you can't do anything with.

Also, anti-gravity is not in the game.

Also, I needed to get a starite without hurting the security guard, so I figured I'd use a Siren (mythical siren, not an alarm siren) to distract him so I could walk past the guard, but what happens instead. The Siren smacked up and killed the guard. I don't remember Sirens killing anyone directly in the Odyssey, only luring them with song onto rocks shores.

Anyway, the Puzzle Levels are fun, but the action level get hard WAY faster than I expected. Action level 1-7 has me stumped. Fortunately if you've earned enough points, you can skip ahead to other levels, so the frustration of being stuck doesn't mean you can't move on to something else and come back later to the level that's stumping you. Controlling Maxwell is a bit unresponsive at times, but the game is looking like it's going to be a really challenge to complete in any sense of the word.

So I finally got this last night, and I have to say I've been disappointed by a few omissions. Firstly and foremost, I have a guy in a desert and I have to refresh him. Naturally, I type in 'smoothie.' The game doesn't have 'smoothie.'

When I went back to redo the give the cop/firefighter/doctor/chef something they would use, I type in 'taser' and the game does have 'taser' either. Consider all the press the game got for the inclusion of internet memes like keyboard cat and rickroll and lolcat, and the popularity of the 'Don't Tase Me, Bro' meme, you'd think 'taser' would be in it. But no.

Also, I don't know how to fight a tornado if 'low pressure system' is not in the game, and Zeus and God are not cooperative in taking it down for me. And evidently, tornadoes don't cancel out other tornadoes.

Also, shrinking potion just gives you a bottle that you can't do anything with.

Also, anti-gravity is not in the game.

I think Taser is trademarked, Stun Gun works tho.

The shrinking potion seems useless, but Shrink Ray works great. Even on tornados. I made a shelter and waited for it to pass the first time. Then I chained the starite to a cat, mad a mouse and had it chase the mouse into the tornado, jumped up and grabbed it. 3rd time I put a lake under the tornado.

• 8 months later...