Hondo's Bar

Motion Comics

Thelogan

Motion Comics  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They seem to be all the rage these days.

Gonna have to use a link for this one. Astonishing X-Men.

I enjoyed the Watchmen, ended up getting all of those. Even that's a mixed bag; the music is great, original score. The motion is done very well, they change light sources and angles, they do a pretty good job of accurately bringing it all to life.

It isn't fully animated, the lips don't move like some of those fancy-schmancy Marvel productions, and as for the voice work...well he's very dedicated. One guy...one passionate guy that I respect, but it would have been nice to have at least 1 woman as well. They also show the word ballons and text, which I personally like, but I always have subtitles/ closed captioning on too. I'm silly like that.

I don't think anyone's decided on a format that fits, I watched a Superman: Red Sun clip, but it was too awful to post.

So...

1250113082.jpg

huh. i remember when marvle was using this kinda thing for online trailers for newer books, in the jemas era - i saved a few, they worked well.

only watched the Watchmen one, gotta try Astonishing soon, but it looks/comes off kind of like Metal Gear Solid: Graphic Novel on PSP...normally, i hate Ashely Wood's art, but in motion/voiced over, the book flowed. i like seeing more of this, its a different take (and hinges on good voice acting) but again, comics arent getting more popular, so any method to reach out to a larger base is likely worth the effort.

I could personally dig the Astonishing Xmen one for no other reason then, I can sit Shane, Alana & Adam down and say Watch! Fucking watch the magic unfold if you refuse to read the books I keep forcing on you. Watchmen's redundant because the movie hits all bases, and on the other hand I can never have too many comic references on my shelf.

Watchmen's redundant because the movie hits all bases, and on the other hand I can never have too many comic references on my shelf.

The movie had a lot of the great stuff, but not all of it. The motion comics skip nothing. Rorschach in the fridge, Black Freighter, the psychiatrist slowly coming to understand Rorschach, spaghetti squid monster...

The first time I saw the Watchmen motion comic, the one guy voice acting all the parts bothered me, but rewatchign that clip, it felt like it was being read to me by a guy that did different voices for each character, and it worked more than the first time I saw it.

That's a really great way to look at it, it may even have been what they were going for.

I actually prefer how Dr. Manhattan sounds in the motion comics, in the film I found Crudup's voice humanized the character too much for me.

• 4 weeks later...

yeah, i can dig that. again, the MGS one stands out as a perfect example for me cause a) Ashely Wood's art makes more sense when somewhat animated, and b) MGS already has outstanding voice actors so it just flowed. When i "hear" wolverine from the books, i dont hear Jackman, i hear the gravely guy from the WB cartoons. same goes with other characters, so people like emma come off more passive (?) than id envisioned.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Extremis rocked the shit. The HUD in the Iron Man suit just works in a Motion Comic. I read the singles issues and watched this too. Warren Ellis writes with a very Hollywood quality and Adi Granovs art lends itself well to the medium.

Tony Starks voice was a bit off though. Probably just spoilt by the ever-deadpan RDJ.

I watched the Watchmen motion comic and it was just terrible.

One guy doing all the voices really really badly.

Although the rape part was quite funny with the man trying to switch between a gruff man voice and a paniced woman voice.

I swear to god it's the last time I'll ever leave Alan Moore to babysit.

Sexyhat knows the score though. The Watchmen motion comic put me off the medium completely. Been tempted to try the Spiderwoman one, but now I'm thinking I might get onto this Extremis biz.

That's like reading Ultimate Adventures and being turned off to comics.

The Watchmen one was fatally flawed from the start, I'm still befuddled as to why they wouldn't hire a full cast.

Don't let it ruin 'em. So far the 3 Marvel ones that I've seen have been pretty watchable (Astonishing, Spider-Woman, Extremis).

I swear to god it's the last time I'll ever leave Alan Moore to babysit.

Sexyhat knows the score though. The Watchmen motion comic put me off the medium completely. Been tempted to try the Spiderwoman one, but now I'm thinking I might get onto this Extremis biz.

It is pretty sweet. The voice acting for all involved really makes it. That and they intersperse it with spiffy 3D animation. Of course it's Warren Ellis so there's a shitload of technobabble and boopity beepy gadgets involved.

A Stark Industries smartphone that will have "Nokia crying into their Lutefisk" sold it for me.