Hondo's Bar

Spider Woman

The NZA

spiderwoman01.jpg

so, since Bendis wanted to write Jessica Drew forever now (but coudlnt let her get anally hammered by Cage, hence Alias) i figured he's got some stories in mind for her, and only 2 issues in, its been a solid book.

basically, she's kind of an outcast with S.H.I.E.L.D. gone and her visage reminding most people of Secret Invasion, so she gets contacted by S.W.O.R.D. (created in Astonishing X-Men, i wanna say?) to help their cause of monitoring/eliminating rogue alien elements. I gotta say, its refreshing to see Maleev's work again, and i cant stress enough how i think solo books like this play to the strengths of bendis' writing & characterization. So yeah, fun stuff so far, anyone else reading it?

see, what i read was, he's been a Jessica Drew fan since he was like a kid, and really wanted to write her back then - but the direction he wanted to take her in (including getting hammered by Cage, violated by Purple Man etc) coudlnt get the OK so he made his own "Jessica', hence Alias. i cant remember if i read that on his site or Wizard, though.

I have some Spider Woman issues somewheres, maybe in the attic or basement in New Hampshire... I might need to dig those out... I think I have the first issue, I'm pretty sure, with Banshee and Juggernaut.

aw, you talking about the black & white costume in the 80s or so? if so, that's pretty awesome.

Yeah that's her, I believe those second two are her origin story. I have some other old goodies I gotta find too, Some "What if" comics (What if Gwen Stacy hadn't died) The Big Spider Man marriage special, Magneto #0, a few others.

I checked and I have precisely none issues of Spider-Woman.

I do, however, have most of the first 20 issues of Dazzler for some reason. I'm growing increasingly aware of how gay my family must have thought I was gonna turn out (but I showed them, I'm only a little gay (I mean...everyone's a little gay...right?)).

Back to Spideybitch, I heard the same story as NZA concerning the dubious origins of Alias. Don't remember where I obtained this information, possibly just shop-talk.

Man, your 20 Issues of Dazzler trumps my 2 issues of Rom the Space Knight in the horrible product tie-in comics arena. I would have to buy the essential Marvel Godzilla trade to ever hope to beat that.

I don't know, that story sounds suspiciously like bullshit cooked up by snarky fanboys, especially considering Jessica Drew hadn't done anything in several years and the ultimate universe was getting away with all kinds of shit back in those days. And especially considering the Max books could be (and often were) non-canon ala Vertigo to DC then I don't see Marvel getting all up in arms.

Of course it may just be because this sounds way to much like the story I heard about why the Watchmen characters are thinly veiled ripoffs of the Charlston comics heroes and not actually the heroes themselves which also turned out to be a load of bullshit.

never heard that one.

the Alias one...im saying, i read this from a Bendis interview, as i recall. when i met the guy, all i wanted to talk about was Ultimate Spider-Man and his then hatred of symbiotes, heh. and yeah, i know we're talking the "anything goes' Jemas era of Marvel that i adore, but it wasnt just the anal, it was Purple Man, benching Jessica and restructuring her, eventually getting knocked up by Cage etc. i got the impression the direction he wanted to take Jessica in was enough so that he was told to get his own one, rather than taking the Hydra/S.H.I.E.L.D. double agent effectively off the board for future stories.

The Watchmen rumor goes that he approached DC and asked to use the actual characters and they told him to fuck off because they had just bought the characters and weren't too crazy about him making them all either evil, crazy, or dead. Though the truth is that he did it because most of the characters (especially The Question) were already woven carefully into the DC comics continuity and he didn't feel like fucking with that.

And I still don't buy that, a lot of Max books have been non-canon and not just more recent ones like Punisher Max either. Howard the Duck got a definitely more adult-oriented book but they don't seem to have a problem flinging him in every once in a while still. I'm not saying it's not true, I'm just saying that certain things don't add up.

Man, your 20 Issues of Dazzler trumps my 2 issues of Rom the Space Knight in the horrible product tie-in comics arena. I would have to buy the essential Marvel Godzilla trade to ever hope to beat that.

I don't know, that story sounds suspiciously like bullshit cooked up by snarky fanboys, especially considering Jessica Drew hadn't done anything in several years and the ultimate universe was getting away with all kinds of shit back in those days. And especially considering the Max books could be (and often were) non-canon ala Vertigo to DC then I don't see Marvel getting all up in arms.

Of course it may just be because this sounds way to much like the story I heard about why the Watchmen characters are thinly veiled ripoffs of the Charlston comics heroes and not actually the heroes themselves which also turned out to be a load of bullshit.

I've got some of those Godzillas! One where he gets shrunk and fights a rat, one with the FF. Good times.

As long as we're talking about runs of shit, I have the entire run of Spitfire and the Trouble Shooters . Also known, as of issue #8, as Spitfire, at issue #10 it was renamed Codename: Spitfire, at issue #13 it was renamed Good Riddance.

Ahh, New Universe, we hardly knew ye...but sweet jesus, you sure were terrible. Fuck Earth-148611. It's a silly place.

eh, MAX went kind of in waves, didnt it? like, if a take was popular, didnt it become cannon/bleed over? Cage didnt, so that was that. Hood did, Alias did, Punisher did until they wanted to bring him back into 616 and fuck things up, etc. its not a hard and fast rule, but i dont know that what happens in MAX is necessarily treated as its own shit. i never got the impression it was another continuity like Ultimate U, maybe at most a "try it out here" grounds. didnt Rawhide Kid's stuff stick too?

I didnt read Howard, but things get retconned out of any line. nevertheless, i respect your skepticism, sir, and found one source to start with, if you'd rather that.

At this point it's probably worth noting that Jessica Jones was originally intended by Bendis to be Jessica Drew who is the original Spider-Woman. The character was a favorite of Bendis' and he was anxious for a chance to give her a much bigger role in the Marvel Universe than she had in 2001. However since she was still Spider-Woman, and she did once have a poorly animated children's cartoon [yt] and so the thought of her doing the things that we'll see Jessica Jones doing throughout the series, kind of scared Marvel Editorial a little. Bendis has claimed in interviews that using Jones instead of Drew gave him more freedom, and ended up making for a better story.

And don't worry, he eventually gets to work with Jessica Drew.

i can dig up interviews if you really want, its just, i used to be a bigger part on bendis' board (been meaning to get back over there now that im tying up Powers v2) and it was stated around there, with him and his creator friends, as if it was a known thing.

But that wasn't really what you said either. It says Marvel was uncomfortable with it and Bendis just decided to take it to another angle, not that they told him no and he begrudgingly did so. That seems like they left the ultimate choice in his hands and he made the call.

To be fair, the only reason the Hood is hanging out with all the 616 crowd is because Bendis loved the character so much. Also I think the main reason Max bled over into the 616 universe was simply because the people in charge of the 616 stories were getting tired of being considered the big joke next to the darker edgier "Ultimate" universe.

your 2nd point might be right. your fist - what? you're nitpicking. he wanted to use Drew as Alias, Marvel basically said no (i didnt know the animated thing was a factor) and he made his own Jessica instead. that's what i/logans were saying! what are you, channeling joel here?

Archived