Hondo's Bar

Darksiders

Maldron

So in the middle of my raging hardon for Bayonetta, I've completely overlooked Darkstalkers. And I'm beginning to think, considering that they both come out on the same day, that I've been backing the wrong horse.

You play as War, Horseman of the Apocalypse. The apocalypse started early and you've been blamed so you've been sent back to earth, stripped of your former glory, to find out why.

The game reads a lot like Zelda (Or Metroid) on paper. Enter a dungeon, get a new weapon, use new weapon to kill boss. Some areas can't be explored the first time through, and you have to come back later with new powers to progress to those sections of the dungeon. You've got a horse, Ruin, that you can fight on and summon to take you from place to place. You've even got a spiritual companion to show up and tell you where you need to go and keep you from goin' crazy.

Only he's voiced by Mark Hamill. And he can kill you whenever the hell he wants, and never wants to let you forget it.

That doesn't seem to be the only awesome way Darksiders is trying to break from Zelda while it channels it. Leaving aside the fact that your horse Ruin is on fire, combat is frenetic and blood-filled. Every new item lends itself to use, every weapon is modifiable to change the way it's used, and you also get to rip stuff apart violently. The combat doesn't look to be a lamentable obstacle outside of boss fights, and that's possibly the best thing that could be said about any game that reminds me of Zelda. Anyway, since my words don't mean much, look at these pictures, with the words of people who've played it.

• 2 months later...

so, what to follow Bioshock 2 and Baynoetta with? i opted for this, and man, what a great call on Mal's part. in the vein of Okami last gen, by the time you hit the first dungeon, this one totally feels like "well, if nintendo's not gonna do anything (yet) with the things i love about Zelda, im glad someone did." Story's pretty base, but the art is all Mads style, even the landscapes look great (minus the screen tearing, unfortunately). but what you look for - great overwolrd/dungeon design, cool boss fights (just beat Tiamat earlier), your character getting more awesome/badass as you progress and unlock items and abilities - its all here, and really fun. I'm playing on hard mode and there's a definite curve on boss fights and challenge rooms, but its all pattern-based and doable, but more importantly, mostly fun so far. This one's looking like a keeper.

• 3 weeks later...

i really enjoyed the crap out of it. i was already a fan of Joe Mad and all the games this rips from, just a really fun overall package with solid dungeon design, boss fights and all the things i came to it for (meaning the generic plot gets a pass). ran through on hard mode and had a blast almost the whole way through.

• 4 weeks later...

Man this game sucked. Jagged graphics, a story that reads like Archangel fanfic from one of the Menendez brothers, and playability that all but begs you to go play something better. That's the game I played for an hour or two anyways. [/dissention]

I fucking hate the lightbeam temple.

with the lining up the mirrors and shit, right? yeah, that was like the game's water temple for me. i half used gamefaqs, half just trial-and-error'd it to keep moving.

you working on the abysmal armor? i did the game on hard (not really that much different) and it made life easier once you piece it together.

with the lining up the mirrors and shit, right? yeah, that was like the game's water temple for me. i half used gamefaqs, half just trial-and-error'd it to keep moving.

you working on the abysmal armor? i did the game on hard (not really that much different) and it made life easier once you piece it together.

That level was way to long.

I didn't even try for the abysmal armor.

• 1 year later...

this one (and Darkness 2) are waiting to get slept on, and ill likely grab this on its second steam sale. really dug the 1st one, but now that proper zelda has happened, i can bump it back a bit, is the thing. again though, great dungeon design, for the most part.

• 3 months later...