Hondo's Bar

Looney Toons

Keth

Bugs and the mad scientists big red monster in the castle.

Fucking classic.

I don't remember if that particular episode was his, but Chuck Jones was fucking God. The other guys weren't bad, but I think when I took a look at all the snappiest most definitive episodes, it was always Jones's stuff that I enjoyed.

He was the one to create the definitive version of Duck season/Rabbit season I think.

Plus he seemed to have a better sense for use of music and for timing.

Oh yeah, Bugs and Yosemite having a pirate ship fight. Another classic.

Bugs and the mad scientists big red monster in the castle.

Fucking classic.

My cousin and I frequently like to break into the voice Bugs does in that episode while playing the beautician. "My stars! If an IN-ter-esting monster can't have an IN-ter-esting hair-do, then I don't know that things are coming to!"

I don't remember if that particular episode was his, but Chuck Jones was fucking God. The other guys weren't bad, but I think when I took a look at all the snappiest most definitive episodes, it was always Jones's stuff that I enjoyed.

Back in the day, I used to think Tex Avery was the best of the bunch, and that it was criminal that Chuck Jones was more heralded than Avery, but I've really come to appreciate what Jones brought to those WB cartoons. He gave the characters much more interesting personalities; they weren't, literally, just a bunch of loons. Bugs became less bouncy and manic, and was became an easy-doing character that didn't antagonize until provoked. Daffy became greedier and more conniving. I still like Tex Avery alot, but I appreciate both of them for their different strengths.

Clever pop culture references at the time just feel like weird, gimmicky characters now. Both The Queen and The Salesman are based on popular radio personalities.

Now, the last 2 were pretty offensive and racist, but this next one I think is genuinely good and ahead of its time. I chuckled (for the right reason) on more than one occasion and I don't really think it's offensive at all, as long as you ignore the way black folks were drawn at the time.

I can't find Coal Black and De Seben Dwarves on Youtube anymore :uhm: , but it's another example of this (well, slightly more offensive I guess, but undeniably good).

Good as they are, I suspect the Animaniacs will suffer from its pop culture references in time too.

Happily I think enough of the comedy and characterisation is set on solid ground that "Heloooo Nurse" will be a classic catch phrase for years to come.

Good as they are, I suspect the Animaniacs will suffer from its pop culture references in time too.

Happily I think enough of the comedy and characterisation is set on solid ground that "Heloooo Nurse" will be a classic catch phrase for years to come.

But I think Animaniacs quite possibly made more cultural reference to the 1930's and 1940's than it did to the 1990's, all references that either stood the test of time or were intentional obscure and would be equally obscure to kids in 50 years as they were on their air date.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGO0n5ui2xU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGO0n5ui2xU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGO0n5ui2xU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Archived