Hondo's Bar

Winter Olympics 2010

Mr. Hakujin

The Opening Ceremonies begin tonight! Whoo-hoo am I kidding. I haven't given a shit about the Winter Olympics since I thought Tonya Harding might go postal and shoot up the place. And even then all we got was a broken shoelace. Um, Cool Runnings was a good movie though. Speaking of which, luge is deadly:

Other than that, knock yourselves out snowbirds. Sorry Vancouver, but maybe someoen else here gives a shit. Anyone?

gotta be someone, i dont really follow the summer ones either. weird how there's more talk about inspiration shit of the athlete than showing goddamn events, and the odd shit id dig like fencing doesnt get play anyway.

Colbert Report said they had to bring in snow. fuck, that's weird.

I also saw where they're putting tubes of dry ice under the snow to keep it from melting on the courses. Fucking Canada.

I'm looking forward mostly to the hockey now that I've gotten into it. The Goalie for team U S and A will be none other than Tim Thomas, goalie for the Boston Bruins!

Go local sports team! Sorry, Benny. I can't muster up any genuine enthusiasm for hockey. Even for a player from a team that, phonetically speaking, is my namesake.

if i was from up north, i think id rock hockey. its skilled shit, and there's fights all the time, that's pretty cool.

i feel bad for the panthers down here, kinda makes no sense and across all the folks ive met, there was one guy who rooted for them, and he came from up north, too. but yeah, hockey's alright. go youtube the greatest fights of, youll be there for hours.

Yeah, Panthers are having a rough time. They had a great game agains the Bruins last night. It went to Shootout (There's OT which is 5 mins of 4 v 4, then shoot out where a single player from one team attemts to score a goal, then another player from the other team goes. This goes for 3 rounds. If both teams scored equal goals in the first 3 then it goes 1 round at a time. In each following round, if neither team, or both teams score, it goes to another round. The game is won when only one player scores in a round) There was 8 rounds of shootout, then the Bruins scored and won it. Aarty and I were both originally going to Bank Atlantic Center to watch it, but... we moved. Saw it on TV last night though. Great game.

Hockey is actually the only sport I really follow and like. I've been to loads of Panther's game and somewhere hidden in a closet in my parents house is my official Panther's jersey...

As far as the Olympics, I loved the opening ceremonies and do enjoy watching the events. Some more than others, of course. My favorites are Luge, Figure Skating and Bobsled. Do not understand curling.

I also do not understand Curling. The sport. The only curling I know involves free weights or a machine in a gym. Not a broom.

U S and A weemen kicked China's arse in Hockey today 12-1. Then again what the hell do Chinese know about Hockey. It's not a gaint chopstick or anything...

I actually dig the winter olympic games. I can ski and ice-skate reasonably well (Just uh, not snow-board... i hope the japanese girl i collected on the Remarkables doesnt have nightmares whenever she thinks of blue ski-suits!) and i enjoy watching people do it with much more grace and finess than I can muster!

Im not patriotic (i'd hardly be married to Jay if I was!) but it's fun watching Australia try and win gold at sports they have to travel overseas to train for! (Most winter athletes spend 11 months of the year in Canada!!)

Id much much prefer to watch ice-skating that disc throwing.

Another reason Winter Olympics are lame: snowboarders' opinions are actually listened to & commented on.

Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:00 am EST

Nate Holland thinks your pants are too tight

By Trey Kerby

Nate Holland is a man of conviction and dedication to his cause. He is seeking to rid the world of what he considers the most heinous offense in the history of snowboarding. We're talking, of course, about tight pants.

Holland is a member of the United States snowboard cross team, and will therefore be wearing the now legendary "flannel and jeans" uniform. But when he looks around, he sees a problem. "I think the problem we have now is the emo look," he told the New York Times, "and people trying to use that as an excuse for wearing tight clothing." Sure, bro.

The problem, according to Holland, isn't that the trend toward tighter clothing could lend a competitive advantage, it's that trim pants betray the anti-establishment culture that birthed snowboard cross. Holland is concerned for "the integrity of the sport," saying, "I'm a snowboarder through and through, and boardercross is a freestyle snowboarder's race. I think it should stay that way." Right, because it wouldn't be snowboarding if people wore tight pants.

Slimmer pants just make more sense. Sure, there's less drag, but there's also less of a chance of getting caught on another person. And you don't have to worry about all that cumbersome extra fabric getting in the way.

Look, bro: Team USA Snowboarding sponsors include Nike, Microsoft, and Visa. That's about as "establishment" as you can get. So relax about "the integrity of the sport."

Not to mention you'll be competing in a branded pair of fake distressed jeans.

Chill out, Nate Holland.

I don't know which I hate more, the snowboarder for being so stupid or the "journalist" for actually doing an opinion piece and commenting ont his stupidity. Thanks again for another day of lame, Winter Olympics!

I watched the figure skating event tonight. Its incredibly hard to stay upright and reasonably in control on quad skates on a sealed rink, let alone ice skates on ice.

They fact that they dance on ice with such poise is a mystery to me.

I watched the figure skating event tonight. Its incredibly hard to stay upright and reasonably in control on quad skates on a sealed rink, let alone ice skates on ice.

They fact that they dance on ice with such poise is a mystery to me.

Sounds like someone is looking for a 2nd on seeing Celine Dion in Vegas...

The USA men's team won agains the Swiss today 3-1. They need to work on their 3rd period game. No fights that I saw, but then again probably the Olympics isn't the best place to fight.... Plus other countries have teammates for the NHL, for example, Tim Thomas is a goalie for USA, Patrice Bergeron is on team canada, and Miroslav Satan and Zdeno Chara are on Team Czech Republic, but they all play for the Bruins in the NHL, so it wouldn't be in anyones best interest to injure eachother because there's a 2nd half of Hockey Season and the quest for the Stanley Cup once they comeback from this break.

3:14 left in the second, 3(USA) -2 (CANADUH) Just 3:14 left and the 3rd period to go, hopefully Team USA pulls through (Though Patrice Bergeron's on team Canada, still... There's Habs on team Canada, so I have mixed emotions about the team...) Nevermind.. 2nd period's over, score's the same. One period left, and I'm off to bed.

...and for the first time since 1960, Team USA beats Team CANADA in Hockey in the Winter Olympics!!!

FINAL 5(USA)-3(CANADA)

What makes this victory even sweeter is the fact that Canada's kinda the home team here.

Heh, peoples interest in the winter olympics really peaked after the Luger died.

In other news Ireland have a team in the Bobsleigh run tonight, running at 1am Irish time!!! Come on you Girls in Green!!!

GO IRELAND!!!

ireland_lc.gif

Archived