Hondo's Bar

Digital Comics

The NZA

Marvel just started doing digital trades, the discount is like $1 off of the singles, but its a start. However fuck mervel up the ass for not allowing its comics to be read on Android. Seriously, what the flying fuck? Dark Horse also needs to get off its ass and get its Android app working.

What service do you have? It may be that instead of Marvel. I haven't been able to get the Amazon AppStore on my Atrix because it's not one of the apps allowed by AT&T yet.

However fuck mervel up the ass for not allowing its comics to be read on Android. Seriously, what the flying fuck?

Yeah, wtf is up with that? Before I read your post, I was trying to read the new Schism on my phone and was getting all frustrated. I thought it wasn't syncing right or something, but no...Marvel are just dicks.

Literally everything else seems to show up...except the Marvel shit. Silly bastards.

Word has it it SHOULD be going soon, but nothing as of yet. I dunno, it just seems silly as hell to limit your product to one particular platform, especially when there are more droids out there now than iPhones, and that the droid marketplace is set to beat the Apple one in downloads soon. Then again there are probably a ton of different licensing agreements, but it is dumb as hell on Marvel's part.

Dark Horse also has this problem, though they do at least say that there is an app coming.

oh, i agree; i just had to assume after joe q's hype for the ipad app, it had to be a contract. moreso than even most mediums, though, id strongly agree with you here that such contracts only hinder the industry as a whole, which needs to be diving headfirst into this shit years ago.

didnt know that about droids vs iphones (also with downloads), interesting.

Well, Graphic Novels are coming to Amazon digitally. DC just made a deal with Amazon that gives the Kindle Fire exclusive access to their run of GNs. That is good in a way, but I don't like the fact that it appears that this is ONLY for their new device. So if I wanted to read it on my Kindle app on my phone or on my PC I would be unable to. That sucks. Prices seems decent, watchmen was $9.99 for example, so that is good, but it does seem to limit availability. One step forward, two steps back.

it's always one step forward, 2 steps back :/ on the bright side it looks like the fire will have flash so it should open up using marvel online on the device, no idea how good it'll look though.

Marvel really needs some kind of app level support for the service as I don't use my pc to read comics any more.

Another thing is it could very well be some kind of licensing issue. Often when the original contracts for these types of things are done there's not always a ton of thought put into future use(ie Sony's problems getting all psp games on PSN). or it could be some kind of resource issue or maybe they just arn't looking at the droid market as I believe you get more avg money from Iphone buys still. Thankfully however the smartphone/tablet market is getting way to big to ignore so that will begin to solve some of the issues.

to expand on bish's post

ZwyuW.jpg9VDURl.jpg

DC ENTERTAINMENT DIGITAL GRAPHIC NOVELS AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY ON THE NEWLY-ANNOUNCED KINDLE FIRE, INCLUDING BEST-SELLING GRAPHIC NOVELS ‘WATCHMEN,’ ‘BATMAN: ARKHAM CITY’ AND ‘SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE’, AVAILABLE FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER DIGITALLY

Industry-Leading Graphic Novel and Comic Publisher to offer 100 Digital Books Exclusively to Kindle Customers

BURBANK, Calif., Sept. 29, 2011- DC Entertainment, the first publisher to offer more than fifty comic book titles on the same day in digital and print, is now taking the world of digital books by storm. The comic book giant has worked with Amazon to bring 100 of its original graphic novels exclusively to Amazon’s newly announced Kindle Fire, including best-selling graphic novels WATCHMEN, BATMAN: ARKHAM CITY and SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE, which are available for the first time digitally.

“We’re thrilled to work with the leader in digital books to bring many of the world’s most beloved and best-selling graphic novels to Kindle readers,” stated Jim Lee, co-publisher of DC Entertainment. “We’ve learned from the success of DC Comics – The New 52 that making our graphic novels available whenever and wherever our readers want is critical to the future growth and health of our publishing businesses–both in print and digital format.”

“We’re excited that DC Entertainment has made 100 of their graphic novels available for customers to read exclusively on our just-announced Kindle Fire,” said Russ Grandinetti, Vice President, Kindle Content. “Some of these graphic novels, including ‘Watchmen,’ the bestselling — and considered by many to be the greatest — graphic novel of all time, have never been available before in digital format, and we think customers will love them.”

DC Entertainment graphic novels will be available to Kindle Fire customers. WATCHMEN and SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE are available for pre-order now in the Kindle Store (www.amazon.com/kindlestore) and readers can soon purchase other DC Entertainment graphic novels.

The following 100 DC Entertainment titles will be available in the Kindle Store, with more titles to be added in the near future.

All Star Superman

All Star Batman & Robin, The Boy Wonder, Vol. 1

American Vampire Vol. 1

Batman and Robin, Vol. 1: Batman Reborn

Batman and Robin, Vol. 2: Batman vs. Robin

Batman and Robin, Vol. 3: Batman Must Die!

Batman and Son

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Batman: Arkham City

Batman: Hush

Batman: R.I.P.

Batman: The Black Glove

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Batman: The Long Halloween

Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne

Batman: Year One

Blackest Night

Blackest Night: Black Lantern Corps Vol. 1

Blackest Night: Black Lantern Corps Vol. 2

Blackest Night: Rise of the Black Lanterns

Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps

Brightest Day, Vol. 1

Brightest Day, Vol. 2

Brightest Day, Vol. 3

Daytripper

Fables Vol. 1: Legends in Exile

Fables Vol. 2: Animal Farm

Fables Vol. 3: Storybook Love

Fables Vol. 4: March of the Wooden Soldiers

Fables Vol. 5: The Mean Seasons

Fables Vol. 6: Homeland

Fables Vol. 7: Arabian Nights (and Days)

Fables Vol. 8: Wolves

Fables Vol. 10: The Good Prince

Fables Vol. 11: War and Pieces

Fables Vol. 12: The Dark Ages

Fables Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover

Fables Vol. 14: Witches

Fables Vol. 15: Rose Red

Green Lantern Vol. 3: Wanted Hal Jordan

Green Lantern: Agent Orange

Green Lantern: Blackest Night

Green Lantern: Rage of the Red Lanterns

Green Lantern: Rebirth

Green Lantern: Secret Origin

Green Lantern: The Sinestro Corps War

How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less

Identity Crisis

Kingdom Come

MAD About Oscars

MAD About Superheroes

MAD About Superheroes

MAD About the 50′s

MAD About the 60′s

Marzi

Planetary Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories

Planetary Vol. 2: The Fourth Man

Planetary Vol. 3: Leaving the 20th Century

Planetary Vol. 4: Spacetime Archaeology

Superman for All Seasons

Superman: Earth One

The Dark Knight Strikes Again

The Flash: Rebirth

The Joker

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Vol. 1)*

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Vol. 2 )*

The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes & Nocturnes

The Sandman Vol. 2: The Doll’s House

The Sandman Vol. 3: Dream Country

The Sandman Vol. 4: Season of Mists

The Sandman Vol. 5: A Game of You

The Sandman Vol. 6: Fables and Reflections

The Sandman Vol. 7: Brief Lives

The Sandman Vol. 8: World’s End

The Sandman Vol. 9: The Kindly Ones

The Sandman Vol. 10: The Wake

The Sandman: Dream Hunters

The Sandman: Dream Hunters (P. Craig Russell)

The Sandman: Endless Nights

The Unwritten Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity

The Unwritten Vol. 2: Inside Man

V for Vendetta

Watchmen

We3

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 10: Whys and Wherefores

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 3: One Small Step

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 4: Safeword

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 5: Ring of Truth

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 6: Girl on Girl

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 7: Paper Dolls

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 9: Motherland

*Available only in North America

don't like the exclusive or the prices, but i do like that DC's aggressively stepping in the digital direction.

Boo boo boo boooooo.

I don't like this one bit, mainly because of the format exclusivity. I don't like the model that digital comics have taken either. When you buy a song, you own it. You can do as you wish with it (although, I admit, it took them a bit to figure out that's how to do things).

With all these companies, they don't let you own any of the shit you buy digitally. You just get to access it using a certain application on a certain device. It's retarded.

I would hope that this would go the way of amazon mp3, when you buy them it's put up in the cloud and you can choose to download them or use an app to access them for streaming, that way you could make back ups or choose to stream.

You know now that I think about it, I'm curious if this works that way too to some extent. I really want to know if you can only download it to a fire. if not then you should be able to back it up once you convert it to a non kindle format.

Hey, if you can save them as a .pdf or something, I take back everything I said.

That's just not the impression I was getting.

That would be a move in the right direction, and would hopefully push everyone else to do the same (I'm looking at you, Comixology. Don't make me Print Scrn 24 times an issue just to spite you).

yeah, if its a non-proprietary format - or one i can download & convert to something better without too much trouble - i'm down too.

once these details are ironed out, do you guys see yourselves going digital for the newer stuff to your collection, or still buying DD & physical when cheap, or wha?

Barnes & Noble: "FUCK THAT SHIT!"

Last week, Bleeding Cool reported on DC Comics’ plans to release 100 graphic novels exclusively on the Amazon Kindle Fire.

Well now the other shoe has dropped. I understand that Barnes & Noble executives are furious over this, specifically citing DC’s reluctance to release any of their graphic novels on the Nook Color, Barnes & Noble’s own colour E-reading device.

They contacted DC to express their displeasure, but hit a brick wall. And as a result, they’ve gone for a scorched earth policy. An email sent to stores yesterday instructs them to remove all of the 100 graphic novels listed from the shelves, including Watchmen, The Dark Knight Returns, Sandman, Fables, Blackest Night, All Star Superman, Y The Last Man, V For Vendetta, all strong sellers for the company. You will still be able to order the books on the website, but in bookstores you won’t even be able to special order a copy – unless you request it delievered to your home. Copies will not be allowed to enter Barnes & Noble premises.

Staff have contacted me to say they feel the decision is a bit short-sighted and reactionary, as it not only prevents Barnes & Noble from offering product to the new DC readers brought in by the reboot coming in to check out past trades, but also with the recent closing of chief competitor Borders, it leaves no mass market bookstore selling this work.

Instead, DC will have their Barnes & Noble shelves full of the likes of Superman: Grounded… and all four trades of Countdown.