Hondo's Bar

Tactical RPGs

Lipala

aw man, i wish id've played Shining Force 2 in the day. i loved 1, glad i didnt bother with 3 since we never got its ending.

Valkyria_cover.jpg

prolly the best one i've played in years, and you can find it for $30 or less these days without too much effort. great story, you just gotta get past the first couple hours or so for it to kick in...bonus here if you played Skies of Arcadia (classic!). demo's up on PSN but i dont believe it sells it well...it's got a bit of that "horrors of war" stuff i loved from Suikoden, and an amazing art style, plus the balance is pretty fair, though the game will totally make moves to make you feel otherwise sometimes :anger:

Jeanne_d%27Arc_Coverart.png

I'm prolly never gonna finish this one, personally (@#$%ing twist), but Level 5 did great here...if you loved FF Tactics, there's a lot of the same stuff here with a great art style and some french history but mostly fantasy interwoven.

ill leave newt to push the Tactics Ogre stuff, these are just the standout ones for me. i hadn't played one since Vandal Hearts - it's a genre i dabble in but the plot/characters have to hold my interest.

My first foray into this genre was with Shining Force on a classic gaming disc for Sega Dreamcast, I fucking loved it, and the second one was even better (Despite lacking Zylo, still Peter was pretty fucking great and that Kraken battle has to be one of the more memorable boss battles I can think of. Also Oddeye=Awesomeness) I dislike the Final Fantasy Tactics games and Fire Emblems because if your character dies you lost them forever, makes it too much like an Advance Wars game but they were still fun.

I need to find me a copy of Golden Sun and the sequel, those games were talky, but they were damned fun too.

ah, Tactics. i want to play you again on beautiful PSP version, but i just cant see doing it all over again. i blame myself, and god.

...did you stick with Zylo after leveling him/whatever it was around level 10 when the status changes? i dug him, but couldn't justify him on my team in the later game where i had guys like the awesome samurai, ninja-guy, my mages, etc. i might've made a mistake benching him, i'm sure he's no Yogurt but he had a bad curve/strength-dropoff for me at a crucial point in the game when i made the switch.

Hate to say it James but I gave Dragon Force 2 hours of my life that I'll never get back. Its not getting anymore. As far as the others. I've got Valkyria Chronicles and love it but have beaten it. I'll have to look at some of those others. I haven't played FF tactics in years.

awesome - if you're a sadist like newtype, the DLC for VC is insane - play without the tank, etc, plus there's new story missions i wanted to try.

ive yet to play Dragon Force (im reading current Saturn emulators are pretty solid though, so hopefully soon!), first negative thing ive heard about it though...maybe it didn't age well? oh, and if you feel inclined, don't forget to post your PSN handle in the thread!

ah, Tactics. i want to play you again on beautiful PSP version, but i just cant see doing it all over again. i blame myself, and god.

...did you stick with Zylo after leveling him/whatever it was around level 10 when the status changes? i dug him, but couldn't justify him on my team in the later game where i had guys like the awesome samurai, ninja-guy, my mages, etc. i might've made a mistake benching him, i'm sure he's no Yogurt but he had a bad curve/strength-dropoff for me at a crucial point in the game when i made the switch.

When you first level up Zylo, you regret it. He sucks after he's first been upgraded, but if you keep with him he re-earns his place on your team. I think my game had a glitch because for some reason I could upgrade Jogurt infinitely and I could never get him to quit sucking. Gort was also a player I kept with me the whole time, that old bastard was badass.

my god, i didnt dare imagine Jogurt could be leveled. so he got more than 1 HP?

yeah, Gort was varsity lineup, no doubt, along with the Centaur-chick. i keep trying to recall which battle i died the most in, and im flashing back to a graveyard one, an odd circus one, and this one on a bridge that shouldn'tve been so hard (big laser-eye cannons just needed timing) but id keep fucking up using my weak-ass bird people that stage.

Dragon Force just wasn't what I was looking for. It was too detailed in the wrong areas and not detailed enough in the ones it should have been. I'm sure its lots of fun if you like the way its setup but I found myself wanting more control and less at the same time.

I looked at Disgaea from a distance as though it were some fat child I didn't quite trust, eyeing the shelf of candybars at the store checkout line. Never talking to it. I'm not its mother, but curious if anyone was going to do anything about it or if it had simply been determined to be more trouble than it was worth...

...did you stick with Zylo after leveling him/whatever it was around level 10 when the status changes?

Zylo post-premotion takes some work to make cool again, but he's eventually just as awesome. Gong was the same way. Also, maybe someone already mentioned this but,

Bleu: GAME OVER, MAN! I got that dragon insanely overpowered.

I think my final lineup consisted of Player character, Bleu, Domingo, Guntz, Musashi, Kokichi, Zylo, Gong, Ernest, Torasu, Lyle and...uh...someone else.

Disgaea is awesome. at least the first one is, which is the only one I've played. And play it I did. Good god.

Archived