Hondo's Bar

The Ring

The NZA

Right, checked up FearDotCom, and it seems to be a total rip-off of Ring....but I found a brilliant review for it...

Well, first thing i have to say, is if you are a fan of good movies, and i mean GOOD movies, and you are yet to see this film, do yourself a favour and rush to the theatres immeadiatly!!! It has everything a movie should have, an excellent, extremely original plot, rousing adventure, suspense, and horror that makes me almost crap my pants! It's not a teen movie, it appeals to anyone from the ages of 8 to 70's so Everyone MUST like it. i read some bad reviews by so called "acclaimed critics" well, in my opinion they're all a bunch of fartknockers! if you liked XXX, jason X, or any good movie today, you'll love this. Stephen dorf is brilliant, intriguing cinematography, just perfection. the only thing that would make this masterpeice better that it already is amazing, is if Rob Shnieder was in it, then his comedic genius would make my day, because EVERY movie no matter what genre it is need jokes. examples are: Deuce bigalo Male gigolo (pure greatness because off all the great, original jokes), or Schindlers List (which was so dull, jeez, at least some comedy would make it as good as people say!)

Yeah, the one thing that Schindler's List was lacking, a comedic turn by Rob Schneider! :D

Anyway, the best part of the Ring that I saw was the thoroughly dark atmosphere, scares of the psychological kind, something the Japanese horror masters excel in. Hopefully that tension will make it across.

Ring was an odd film. I couldn't decide how much I liked it. It never scares you, but always suggests that it's just about to. After it finished I wasn't immediately impressed, but it's a film that stayed with me, dwelt in my mind for a little while. On reflection, I really liked it. It never really does anything exciting or thrilling, yet it has this constant tense edge that eventually tips into a crazy hysteria. The ending seems odd, but in a good way. You have to watch it really :approve:

• 1 month later...

Just got back from seeing the American version of this, and it was pretty damned cool. I'm trying to track down the Japanese version, but blockbuster doesn't carry it, despitre the popularity of the remake.... but It's certainly different from the "tense edge" that you're describing in the original. It's good, but they toss in scares every 5 second. Somebody will be walking down a hall, and randomly there'll be a loud noise on the soundtrack and a fast cut... Very cool movie though, when it went for the real scares, it certainly delivered. Creepy as hell imagery, and the overall look, direction, and cinematography were top notch. Sounds like a dumb premise, but they handle it pretty well, and the ending's great too. It was really nice to see something that was actually fuckin scary for a change. It's no wonder this one's keeping at the top of the box office.

This is yet another movie on the list of cool ones out in theaters now, wish I could find teh original. I heard there's actually a supposed Japanese Ring Trilogy, with a sequel and prequel out, how are those?

Saw the trailer for this the other night and will be seeing hte Japanese original and sequel soon assuming TMTYL gets his ass in gear.

The way Lizard described the original

I couldn't decide how much I liked it. It never scares you, but always suggests that it's just about to

was pretty similar to how I felt about 'The Eye' (apart from the elevator scene of course where I practically cacked my pants!)

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this one last night. Great stuff. I avoid most "scary" movies because I find them lame. I'm glad this broke from most Wes Craven-esque standards. You don't have to kill a teenager every 10 minutes to keep it scary, and you don't have to have every character be clueless, even the "smart" ones. You can keep the audience guessing along with the character and that makes it more suspenceful. Teh only mystery in most "scary" movies is which of the characters is the killer or who will survive. Somehow, you don't even wonder about that in this one. You just wonder about the nature of the...for the sake of those who haven't seen it, I'll call it...the thing and the stuff that goes along with it. I think I'm pretty much beyond beign scared by a movie at this point, but I can still get creeped out, and this movie was creepy as fuck.

My roommate (whom I saw the movie with) said that the tape was basically a NIN music video without the NIN music. I thought that was a very assute observation. Don't think anyone's gonna disagree with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Well me and Kym finally saw this one last night. Damn it was good!

Thirteen ghosts was good, and spooked me but after awhile the "fear" part of it wore off as you got used to seeing the ghosts. The Ring simply scared you worse and worse as it went on! I mean this was some seriously fucked up stuff! The breif flashes of images, that T.V. thing, and then just when you think one thing WHAM! Your so wrong its scary! Then the Ending!! Dear god that freaked me out Bad!

One of those sudden realizations (like in blair witch "holy shit! He's standing facing the corner!!!!) where it just kind of slams you with fear right at the end. Jesus that was freaky!!

:D

• 1 month later...

still haven't seen this damn movie..... well anyway, lemmie fill in about the japanese version. in the ring, it's not traditional horror. chihiro calls it culture. it starts off looking like some urban legend, but as it progresses, you are immersed in the middle of it. there aren't any pop up scares in this movie. it focuses on being creepy. i guess i'm too americanized, expecting some blood or things jumping out, but first time, it didn't scare me. However, it's not a movie that works like that. it works after you see it. If you think about it after watching it, it makes you afraid in an uneasy, uncomfortable way. There definatly will be mixed reviews on the japanese version. let me know if you wanna check it out.