Hondo's Bar

A Good Day to Die Hard. 02/14/2013

And no, I'm not suggesting everyone go on some weirdo St. Valentine's Day massacre. But given the title, I'm sure all you smart cookies figured out that this story is "Die Hard" related. With that said, 20th Century Fox has announced that the fifth installment in the "Die Hard" series will be released on February 14, 2013 and be titled "A Good Day to Die Hard".

Filming will begin in January 2012 on-location in Russia.

With a script written by Skip Woods ("The A-Team", "X-Men Origins: Wolverine"), the film will be directed by John Moore ("Max Payne") and is officially described as follows:

Since the first Die Hard in 1988, John McClane has found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time, with the skills and attitude to always be the last man standing, making him enemy #1 for terrorists the world over. Now, McClane faces his greatest challenge ever, this time on an international stage, when his estranged son Jack is caught up in the daring prison escape of a rogue Russian leader, and father and son McClane must work together to keep each other alive and keep the world safe for democracy.

Everything is still in the early stages, so there's no word yet on who'll play Bruce Willis' son in the film and the studio still doesn't know if the film will be rated PG-13 like "Live Free or Die Hard" was or rated R like the first three films.

As previously reported, Mary Elizabeth Winstead recently revealed that she doubts she'll be back for the fifth installment so kiss Lucy McClane out of the picture.

Story

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

can't wait to hear Baytor comment...

Edited by archangel
  • Upvote 1

I'm one of the minority that liked Live Free or Die Hard, partially because I saw the unrated DVD first where John makes up for his lack of saying "fuck" a lot by just swearing anyway and there's a couple of good bloody deaths. (However, the superior cop vs. helicopter one-liner "I was outta bullets *spit*" was replaced with the far inferior "1 million people die in car crashes every day, that's like *spit* 3 more")

But I really do hope they re-instate the R rating or just shoot enough b-roll "Fucks" and kills to have a badass alternate cut for the DVD that way the studio gets their PG-13 money and I get my r-rated movie.

I'm a little concerned about the son angle, as action heroes' kids are usually annoying. I'm afraid we're going to get a Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor here and McClane's son is going to be the douchiest douche to ever live.

So, I'm betting McClane dies so his son can take up the mantle of World's Chief Terrorist Perforator.

Fuck Hollywood!

Of course, they may not put Shia le fuck in this and make something unexpected, but I'm not hoping much.

Edited by Jumbie

So, I'm betting McClane dies so his son can take up the mantle of World's Chief Terrorist Perforator.

this was, for years, my fear of what would happen in 4. speaking of, i didnt at all hate 4, i just didnt love it as much as id wanted, but ryan just reminded me there was an uncut version i didnt see, so woo hoo!

• 1 year later...

Funny that there has been no talk in this thread since 2011.

So the movie's out today, and with 65 reviews posted, the 5th installment in the Die Hard franchise is at 11% on Rotten Tomatoes. But, I don't go to Die Hard movies for the critical acclaim, they probably all got terrible reviews, right? Well, in order, the Die Hard movies have received 94%, 67%, 52% and 81%, so this is not typical. The last Die Hard got 81% on RT? And With a Vengeance was the lowest rated of the first four?

Someone please watch this and report back.

well...you pretty much answered your own question about why no one posted here...it's Die Hard, i was crazy-hyped (despite being slightly iffy but enjoying the last one) until i checked the wiki:

director john moore's chops

overall not a good look here

writer Skip Woods:

1998 Thursday Director, screenwriter, co-producer 2001 Swordfish Screenwriter, co-producer 2007 Hitman Screenwriter 2009 Stopping Power Screenwriter X-Men Origins: Wolverine Writer 2010 The A-Team Screenwriter 2013 A Good Day to Die Hard [2][3] Screenwriter

right, so my takeaway here is the guy who directed Max Payne got the guy who wrote X-Men Origins and made this movie. 11% RT only confirms my fears; i'll download it one day and hope for the best. thankfully bruce says there's at least one more left, and while i keep hoping to see John McTiernan (the director of 1 & 3) return, shit's not so likely either:

On April 3, 2006, McTiernan was charged in federal court with lying to the FBI during an evening phone call to McTiernan's home in the wiretapping investigation involving Anthony Pellicano. He was arraigned and pleaded guilty on April 17, 2006, and is the 14th person charged in this case.

On August 20, 2012, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals denied McTiernan's appeal, though he was granted the opportunity address a higher court and reappeal. McTiernan and his attorney are confident that they will not be denied when they do so. On January 14, 2013, McTiernan's request to reverse his guilty plea was declined by the U.S. Supreme Court.

maybe we'll get lucky and Ratner (or Shamalayn) will get their favorite coke-carrier to write the series finale. feeling better about passing on this tonight to go to a concert.

I'm still reserving judgement, this thing could have a negative score on Rotten Tomatoes and I'd still be optimistic. There's a lot of baggage people are carrying into this one, everybody wants to hate it to much from the get-go. And for the record:Behind Enemy Lines and Flight of the Phoenix were fine movies and Max Payne really only failed where it attempted to adhere to the film-noir tone of the games.

I'm still reserving judgement, this thing could have a negative score on Rotten Tomatoes and I'd still be optimistic...

Don't be.Optimistic that is. I saw it today and was bored almost the whole way through. Pacing was bad, editing was likely done by a blind monkey on Ritalin, and the story was just plain awful. Truly, genuinely terrible. Every action scene was centered around crashing shit in to other shit. And that has it's place, but it's literally every scene. Bruce Willis had better action scenes in Moonrise Kingdom.

I love the DH films. I've seen the last three in the theater, so I know what to expect going in, and I usually have my expectations met or, in the case of DH4, exceeded. However, I wish I would've read Nick's post about the writer and director before hitting the theater so I could've lowered my expectations for DH5. It's a download at best, and even then I'd say only do so to satiate curiosity more so than to be entertained.

Don't take this the wrong way, because in this instance I'm actually not trying to slam you, but your opinion on movies is often at odds with mine, so I'm still not convinced. Don't get me wrong, this isn't denial, I don't think I'm going to be electrified by what I see, but I think there's a good chance I may like it more than most people.

well...haku's review was pretty damning, but i'd love to hear yours as well when you get around to seeing it.

i can totally shut off my mind for an enjoyable, dumb action flick but the recent years of transformers, gi joe etc hasn't appealed to me much at all, kinda worried as the trailers make this one lean in that direction