Hondo's Bar

Honestly, I get where both sides are coming from, and I wish nerds, geeks, dorks, etc would just let people like what they like. If you don't like the show, they just tell people it's not your cup of team, and inversely, if you like it and someone you think would like it tells you it's not their cup of tea, then just let them be about it.

That "live and let live" policy is a good one to live by but sometimes it feels good to just hate on something. You know the feeling where you just can't find enough words to express how much you dislike something. It feels good. Why? Because most humans in the developed world, while being essentially decent people, are assholes. Myself included. Self-serving, self-centered, instant gratification needing, egotistical assholes. I know it's not cool to harass the shit out of people for liking moving images on a screen but most people can tell where the line between harmless jibes and being a dickhead is.

It's incredibly hypocritical of me to hate BBT as I like other shows a lot of people would consider abject garbage. The IT Crowd kind of tows the same line and I love that show, for instance.

Just to get my jab in: formulaic, irritating characters, infuriating stereotypes, unoriginal humour, Sheldons voice/general appearance, the fact that Penny and her fabulous rack aren't in a show I like and finally a gem I heard from Nick "It's blackface for nerds".

It's incredibly hypocritical of me to hate BBT as I like other shows a lot of people would consider abject garbage. The IT Crowd kind of tows the same line and I love that show, for instance.

Admittedly not having watched more than I can tolerate of BBT, there surely can't be much overlap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Oh here's a classic thread.

So I can get if you think this show is funny. I like shitty puns. Humor is incredibly subjective, and I understand that. But there are far more legit reasons to hate the show like it's misogynistic undertones and how it basically condones rape. It's also pretty racist.

More or less every joke about Raj is the fact he’s the token Indian, with many of the poorly thought-out jokes at his (and India’s) expense having attracted criticism in the past. Meanwhile, Howard is an outdated Jewish stereotype – and his mother is even worse.

Some people love this show, others hate it. I watch it because I find Sheldon Cooper really funny. But their treatment of women within the content of some of their humor and plot lines really get to me.

We have the episode where the stone-cold sober Leonard has sex with the falling-down drunk Penny who's previously indicated she's not interested in him. She is then presented as 'in the wrong' for her sexual assault because she sent her ex-boyfriend 'misleading messages'.

We have the episode where Howard and Raj use satellites to spy on the girls in the America's Next Top Model house as they sunbathe topless on what they thought was their private rooftop patio. Later in the episode they actually enter the house under false pretenses to hit on these women by masquerading as cable repair men.

We have Howard's entire character, who's comic 'appeal' centers entirely around being a creep and occasional perp of sexual assualt. This is presented as 'ok' because it's just who he is and most of this behavior is framed as a joke. He is virtually never called out on it, and the one time Penny actually takes a stand on his way-over-the-line creepiness, she later apologizes for hurting his feelings.

And then there is the most recent Christmas episode, where Amy complains that she is so undesirable that she passed out a frat party and woke up with more clothes on. Seriously? This show makes the claim that not only should you expect to be assaulted in that situation, but that the victims actually want it, as this would-be victim is disappointed at not being raped. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? To me it seems like this show is one of the worst propagators of rape culture on TV right now.

tl;dr: I watched the most recent episode of the Big Bang Theory, and got so frustrated by their treatment of women I needed to vent about it.