90 - Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

70 - Demon's Souls

69 - Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3

44 - Suikoden II

43 - Valkyria Chronicles

42 - Lunar: Silver Star Story

17 - Earthbound

Edited by Newtype

those are pretty much them - great world and art direction at the time, but the hook for many people was mindblowing graphics (not seen anymore) and cloud/sephiroth which has kinda been milked dry in the years since. for me, the fall-off was that it kept (started?) this trend of having too many side-characters that don't really get addressed.

i think the reaction is mostly because it's treated like the best of the series, so yeah, kinda.

...still waiting on newt's reasons on Xenoblade too, literally the first negative thing ive heard about it. gunsmith should chime in here.

I never played 7 in its heyday so I'll admit I wasn't there for the zeitgeist, however I played through most of the game on my PS2 a few years ago and I'm still sitting on disc 3 trying to find enough fucks to give so I can finish it. I've played all the games up to 12 (sans 11, cause fuck MMOs, especially console MMOs) and 7 was the only one where I never found the desire to explore, the game just felt like a mess and I found myself tapping the x button just to get through long exchanges rather than reading through the dialogue to get the whole picture. I've play 6 all the way through 5 times now, I played 4 through twice and halfway a third, I played 10 twice, 9 three times, 8 twice, I haven't finished the others but that was mostly due to the dodgy emulated copies I had that were questionably translated (half my copy of Final Fantasy 5 had "translate later" in boxes throughout the game and my copies of 1 and 3 were filled with "hilarious" mistranslations, rape jokes, poop jokes, and ghetto slang.) Point is, 7 just plays pretty mediocre and all the things that people prize about the game (Sephiroth after you actually meet him, most of the characters, especially Vincet) just aren't near as awesome as everybody wants me to think they are. If nothing else it definitely didn't deserve a movie and at least 2 spinoff games.

• Upvote 1

So Lunar SSS is better than ff7 how? I guess if you like less character evolution, more linear gameplay, worse graphics and a debatebly worse story I can see that...

Are you really saying that FFVII had a better cast of character, storyline and better looking graphics?

I'm only about 20 hours into Xenoblade and so far it's just an average game. I just feel that only reason this game got so much hype was because it a big RPG for the Wii.

CONS:

The combat is somewhat like FFXII but with less options.

Whats the point of giving me a big open space to explore when all I find is just empty space.

High level monsters everywhere which kills the thrill of the hunt.

PROS:

The music

The characters

Don't get the hate for 7 though. Are there any good reasons besides it hasn't aged well and overrated?

I used to say that Final Fantasy fans broke down into two groups: Those that thought VI was the best in the series, and those that though VII was the best. Not that I ever thought VII was bad, it was a gateway RPG for SO MANY people, a game that greatly contributed to Sony's domination of two console cycles, and influenced, nah metaphorized the entire genre. VII was extremely well timed, and struck a chord with so many people, and appealed to many who where not and never have been fans of JRPGs. I think most people who were familiar with the pedigree of FF and other JRPGs realize that VII is extremely overrated.

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

See I totally get the hate for 8 I still like it though.

And I understand what you guys are saying about 7, but it was the first 3d final fantasy, at least first real 3d one (airship flying don't count). That said it definitely doesn't deserve top spot, but it does deserve a high place on the list. Where it stands up there is fair I think. That and it's a ranked list.... those shouldn't be taken any sort of seriously ever.

And I understand what you guys are saying about 7, but it was the first 3d final fantasy, at least first real 3d one (airship flying don't count). That said it definitely doesn't deserve top spot, but it does deserve a high place on the list. Where it stands up there is fair I think. That and it's a ranked list.... those shouldn't be taken any sort of seriously ever.

Totally agree with you on that, as I was mentioning in my last post. The game had HUGE crossover appeal and led to a JRPG renaissance. It's a huge part of not only Final Fantasy and RPG history, but the history of games in general. Its just not the greatest RPG ever. Given it's influence and trailblazing it definately deserves to be up there. I agree with it being just outside the top 10. I'm just surprised (plesantly so it wasn't in the top 5).

See I totally get the hate for 8 I still like it though.

I guess part of my problem is perspective to where it was in the series. Final Fantasy 6 was probably one of the most ambitious RPGs ever made, it really tested the limits of what could be done with 32-bit RPG games at the time. And I suppose they tried the same thing with 7 but they just seemed to be aping what 6 was without capturing any of its real charm. It just falls flat in comparison. The story was a mess, the world didn't feel like a fun place to explore (and some places it was just tedious like that big field of snow with the flags, fuck that place), most of the characters were a waste, and it was convoluted. It's like they tried to go big but they just weren't able to capture the heart of 6.