Hondo's Bar

Ender's Game

• 1 month later...

I read Ender's Game before Orson Scott Card outed himself as a douche. I'm glad I did. It's hard to reconcile the book I read with the asshole that wrote it...but even jerks have something worthwhile to say. You know, kinda like broken clocks still being right twice a day, even if it is just an accident. What I would recommend, if someone really wants to read it but not support Card, don't buy it new. Buy it used and support a business you like or better yet, just download a copy. You get to read it and douchebag gets no money. Win-Win

Also, the reason for this edit, I watched the trailer when I had a spare moment. My only comment thus far: eh. Granted, it's not a very long trailer but I still find it lacking. Firstly, is it just me or do the children seem a little too old? I've made this arguement before about characters suddenly aging for the screen but I think in this case it would be a mistake. The 'children' from the book were hyperintelligent; children physically rather than mentally. I hope this carries over.

Also, I do so hope the subplot of Ender's obsession with the Gian'ts Game is included. I feel that it was crucial to his character growth. That being said, the trailer seems more action-y and less focused on the inner turmoil that made the book what it is. I hope that's not the case for the film. I always felt the action was just a convenient vehicle for the coming of age story that it really was.

I hope, i hope, I hope...three times. Maybe my wish will come true? I'm reserving judgement about whether or not to see it until I've seen a few more trailers. But I think I might read the book for a fourth time. Or is it fifth...

And because I can: the quality of Frank Herbert's writing is questionable. And I am justified because I have read Dune often enough that the cover fell off.

Edited by FireDownBelow

I feel the trailer spoiled a very key point that surprised me at the end of the book. Am I alone in this?

I thought so too, but it's only really a spoiler if you've read the book (you're talking about "NOW", right?)

Going in not knowing anything, it's pretty meaningless.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Mixed feelings on the trailer. First, WTF is that shit all over Ben Kingsley's face? I swear to God, if Guy Pearce comes out at the end and is all, "I'm really Mazer! LULZ *fart*!" I will hurl shit at the screen.

Second, FDB, you're totally not alone in the age of the child actors having a major shift in the narrative tone from the novel. Ender was nine in the book. Asa Ender looks like he could be a designated driver. This is really where my mixed feelings come in. I'm of the mind now that the book I love is not going to be this film. I'm trying to go in w/ the mindset that this is just a really cool sci-fi film. The only things I'm really looking for out of this film from the book are...

really kick ass 0-G battle room fights w/ Ender's squad from the book, Epic final Formic battle, and Ender's relationship w/ Valentine and Peter to be there. I'm looking for the later b/c one of the first pics released form the film was Ender's monitor. I hope that plays a big part in the film b/c it was huge in he book.

They're trying to cram the whole book in to one movie and they likely won't have time to explore the pressures of surviving Battle School the way the book does. They really should've broken the book up in to two or three films.

Book spoilers

I'd end film one after Ender's first win as commander and the end scene or post-credit scene of the film could be Anderson & Graff discussing the shitstorm of battles they're about to subject Ender and his army to. Then film two could tackle the rest of the book and really flush out the Mazer stuff and aftermath of the big Formic battle/xenocide. I guess they'd need Peter Jackson at the helm to make that fly though.

I feel the trailer spoiled a very key point that surprised me at the end of the book. Am I alone in this?

Yeah, I think Logans is right in it's only a spoiler if you've read the book.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
thpoilerth
  • Downvote 2

Mazer is Polynesian. Maori, I think. Facial tattoos are very common in his culture and he does have one in the book. I still don't see what the spoiler is!! Argh!! Can someple please PM me and tell me what it is that I'm missing? If it is what Ryan thinks it is...well, it is a spoiler because Ender came to the realization. Ender came to a lot of realizations. I hope those aren't cut out of the movie.

I also agree that the book really should have been at least two movies. There's just too much interpersonal crap. I also wonder if this stuff will translate well to screen.

I agree with y'all, but... argh. I don't know if it was splendid writing, or that I'm slow to catch on, but it's what made me put this as my #2 favorite book (#1 being American Gods). I guess I'm just reading into it too much since I've read it. It just really seemed to me to throw it out there...... a;skldfj;jkdsf;ljksf

Mazer is Polynesian. Maori, I think. Facial tattoos are very common in his culture and he does have one in the book. I still don't see what the spoiler is!! Argh!! Can someple please PM me and tell me what it is that I'm missing?

Yeah, I wiki'd it and Mazer was "half-Maori." I don't think they ever mentioned him having off-putting facial tats. I always pictured him as more of Harrison Ford than Ben Kingsley. Ah well, I guess they put them on Sir Ben to make him more intimidating to Ender since Asa stands probably a head above him.

As for the trailer spoiler, from what I noticed it could be two clips. Do not click unless you've read the book.

Seriously.

1. Obvious one is Ender blowing up the Formic home world at the very end of the trailer.

2. It looked to me at the 1:09 mark as if they showed Ender & Valentine on the planet they would colonize for the surviving queen pupa, which would likely be the last scene/shot of the film if they adapt the whole book. That's a bit of a leap though.

I'm fairly certain #2 in Haku's spoiler takes place several thousand years after the events of this movie.

Book spoilers

Yeah, I got it mixed up. It would likely be the planet they discover the pupa on and not the planet they use to colonize for re-Formicing.

Actually, I posted that before I had finished the book, love. I thought I recalled a mention of the tattoo I really did. But upon reading it once more, there seemed not to be. Still part Maori though and they do have a custom of facial tattoos. Bit much in this instance I would have to say though. Shoulda dona a Chakotay thing.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just a word of warning (aside from all the imo legit reasons not to see it that folks have been bringing up i.e. fuck that guy, he doesn't just have shit opinions but he had an active role in campaigning against human rights), but this thing was directed by the cinematic pussy fart that is Gavin Hood, the man who made the abysmal and schmaltzy Tsotsi and the unforgivable X-men Origins: Wolverine. In some ways these films are more atrocious hate crimes than anything Card has ever done.

6a00d83451c83e69e200e54f8a3faf8834-800wi.jpg

Edited by JunkerSeed