Hondo's Bar

Ender's Game

So this has to be one of my all time favorite books. And I was optimistic about the casting and looking forward to the film until I saw this first pic...

fonW9.jpg

Ford as Gen. Graff is inspired casting, but it's backwards in a way. Harrison Ford would have made a much better Mazer than Ben Kingsley, while Kinglsey would've been a great choice for Graff. Maybe Ford just didn't want to play another legendary space fighter?

Also, by the looks of the kid they've got playing Ender (who was great in Hugo), it's likely gonna be the entire book in one film. I'd hoped after the Potter7, Twilight4, and Hobbit books being broken up over several films they might have decided to do the same w/ Ender's Game, but I guess that was wishful thinking. Admittedly the other films already had successful franchises under their belts. However, I think the pre-Battle School and then the Command School elements of the book were divided nicely in the comic adaptations and really could've been a template for two great films.

The monitoring chip is in the film, so we will get at least a little of the pre-battle school set up. And the director has said the book's original ending is in place, so those are good signs.

Cbmjo.jpg

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
pics

WAIT wait wait...there is a comic adaptation of "Ender's Game" floating around?! Here's hoping Santa drops some cash in my lap so I can buy it.

The book is truly one of the best books ever written. Most good vs. evil stories portray the hero as this other worldly person...no man/woman could ever achieve what he or she accomplished in the archetypal good vs evil showdown .

In "Ender's Game" though, you really understand that Ender himself is just so painfully human; In the end when he destroys the buggers you just want to hold him and console him...his grief over destroying an entire race of creatures is enough to make me weep a little for him every time I read the book.

I've been so excited about this movie ever since it was announced. I just hope that the people making the film stay close to the source material, as it's really hard to improve on near perfection. Whoever did the casting looks like they probably nailed it. I'm esp excited to see Harrison Ford (as Graff) and Abigail Breslan (sp?) (Valentine) play their roles. Valentine is arguably the second most important role in the book, and I can't think of a better kid to play that role than Abigail :) Like you Haku (hehe...rhymes) I was hoping this would be turned into two movies. Oh well though. I'm thinking the people making the movie are afraid folks won't show up to this movie, let alone a sequel. I'm not going to complain though, as I've been hoping and wishing for probably damn near a decade that someone would turn this book into a movie. Sometimes silly wishes do come true :D

They've got all those lovely sequel books to explore later.

Plus maybe some of the rest of his stuff.

Comon, Maker Saga.

Comon, fight about the value of his works outside of Ender's Game.

None of the others are near as good as Ender's Game (though I did enjoy Ender's Shadow), and while I enjoyed the beginning of the Maker's series, the later books also weren't as good.

Yeah...I was so sad to learn Orson SC is super homophobic. But it makes sense...he's British, and the bad/evil race are the Buggers. It's super sad...here's someone so bright and intelligent and creative, and he can still find reasons to be hateful and scared of people who differ from himself.

:(

WAIT wait wait...there is a comic adaptation of "Ender's Game" floating around?! Here's hoping Santa drops some cash in my lap so I can buy it...

Yeah, Marvel turned the book in to two mini-series that are now collected. Search Battle School and Command School in Amazon and they should pop up for you. Ender's Shadow was also done as a mini-series.

None of the others are near as good as Ender's Game (though I did enjoy Ender's Shadow), and while I enjoyed the beginning of the Maker's series, the later books also weren't as good.

Agreed. I still haven't finished Speaker for the Dead, but I need to. I got a really nice hardbound version from Vagrant last year.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

O.k lets talk about Enders Game for a hot minute. I've been told by everyone that I need to shut up and read this damn book. I also know getting me to to read "hard" sci-fi as it is referred to is not something I enjoy (I don't want to get bogged down in technobabble for 1/2 the book) but as I know NOTHING about this book these are the two things i do know:

a.) Everyone says read it.

b.) Orson Scott Card is a cunt.

Really B is the real reason I haven't read it yet. I know who wrote it and what his personal beliefs are. Everyone says "ignore that" enjoy the book but I just haven't brought myself to want to since he pretty much came out and bashed gay people several years back. So, I turn it to Hondos. Do I just ignore his personal beliefs in order to have an awesome experience? Can you enjoy Mein Kampf if you just disregard that it was written by Hitler? THESE ARE THE QUESTIONS THAT NEED ANSWERS!!!

Really B is the real reason I haven't read it yet. I know who wrote it and what his personal beliefs are. Everyone says "ignore that" enjoy the book but I just haven't brought myself to want to since he pretty much came out and bashed gay people several years back. So, I turn it to Hondos. Do I just ignore his personal beliefs in order to have an awesome experience? Can you enjoy Mein Kampf if you just disregard that it was written by Hitler? THESE ARE THE QUESTIONS THAT NEED ANSWERS!!!

A lot of writers and artists throughout history have had some questionable beliefs. Lovecraft believed in Eugenics and supported Hitler (though I have heard that he took it all back just before he died) and I think if TMZ had existed at the time Frank Sinatra might not have been as well liked as he is. I've never understood the whole "can't give money to the haters" argument as I'm sure you're giving to just as many without realizing it and it's not like he's using it to kill a gay murdering robot, but to each their own. Just buy it used, he won't get a cent.

O.k lets talk about Enders Game for a hot minute. I've been told by everyone that I need to shut up and read this damn book. I also know getting me to to read "hard" sci-fi as it is referred to is not something I enjoy (I don't want to get bogged down in technobabble for 1/2 the book) but as I know NOTHING about this book these are the two things i do know:

a.) Everyone says read it.

b.) Orson Scott Card is a cunt.

Huh? Weren't you the one chastising Jax for bringing up social issues in a similar fashion not long ago? Hmm. Save it for the podcast, you hippie.

Huh? Weren't you the one chastising Jax for bringing up social issues in a similar fashion not long ago? Hmm. Save it for the podcast, you hippie.

Number 1 rule of humanity, Chris: "It's cool when I do it."

I had the same reservations about Ender's Game. I downloaded the audiobook, and tried listening to it twice, but was just really confused like 3 minutes in. Most of the audiobooks I download are nonfiction, and I think that's an easy format to listen to than fiction, but I have listened to fiction without any issue with the Hunger Games trilogy, World War Z, and Choke by Chuck Palahniuk, but some I just can't pay attention to, like with Ender's Game, Cat's Cradle and Catch-22, some I'm going to have to read them with my eyeballs instead of my earholes.