Hondo's Bar

Guillermo Del Toro's Justice League Dark

Keth

Guillermo Del Toro confirms that this is happening.

First rumored by Latino Review last fall, IGN has now confirmed with Guillermo del Toro that plans are underway for a DC Comics ensemble film that will star quite a few of the company's supernatural characters. Similar in lineup to the current "Justice League Dark" series, the film version is being developed with the title Dark Universe and has just hired a mystery writer.

"I'm working on it," del Toro says. "I'm writing the outline and we're already in talks with a writer. A very, very good writer. People are probably going to be happy with who we have chosen. He accepted. I've been courting this writer, who I think is the perfect guy for this job. We're doing it. Hopefully it will happen."

The Pacific Rim director goes on to hint that the lineup for the project includes Swamp Thing, The Demon, John Constantine, Deadman, The Spectre and the father/daughter pair of Zatara and Zatanna.

"The movement for this happened before [The Avengers]," del Toro adds about DC building its own cinematic universe. "They were already galvanized to launch 'Justice League' and they were galvanized to make their universe cohesive... They are really, really, with 'Superman', very, very confident with what they have. They are now feeling they have two pillars. Batman and Superman... There's a foundation that now they can build on."th

I know there was another place where this was happening. Merge as needed, just wanted to update with the most recent stuff.

I'm definately intrigued by this, especially with Del Toro's involvement, but it seems odd. I liken it to Marvel doing the Guardians of the Galaxy movie (in that they are both based on more obscure teams), but where Marvel currently has the cinematic midas touch, DC fumbled what should have been a sure fire hit with GL, and can't get any momentum going on thier flagship team.

• 2 weeks later...

Who else would be a "perfect guy for the job" of writing a dark superhero team movie script? Like I said, there's a zero percent chance it's Alan Moore. Del Toro wouldn't be talking about himself like that. Is he talking about someone generally associated as being from the comics writing world, or a more strictly Hollywood writer? Obviously if Whedon wasn't already tied to the Avengers franchise, I would put him high on the list as a candidate. Hmm....

Do you think they'd hire a comic book writer without any movie screenplay or at least TV writing experience for a project like this? If so, that maybe Garth Ennis? Or Brian K. Vaughn?

Does Grant Morrison have any experience writing any book with "dark" characters? By that I mean, darker than Batman?

I still think we're barking up the wrong tree here predicting the upper echelon of the comics industry, and Millar.

Morrison is interesting. I think he's written all of those characters at some point, a couple on their respective books. I have to remind myself that he's "the Batman guy" now. I still think of him as the guy with an obvious penchant for psychedelic drugs who helped put Vertigo on the map. I guess he really isn't that guy anymore though.

• 2 months later...

No writer announce (yet) but some updates

Fielding a fan question at today's WonderCon panel for his upcoming Pacific Rim, Guillermo del Toro offered a few details about his in-development DC Universe project, Dark Universe (He also hinted that it may ultimately be called Justice League Dark).

Del Toro has written a story bible for the film and they have a writer to adapt the screenplay that they hope to announce very shortly. The project won't happen, however, until after del Toro's next, the horror story Crimson Peak.

The film will follow John Constantine (who, Del Toro promises, will be blond this time) as its protagonist, and will include the previously-announced Swamp Thing, the Demon, Deadman, the Spectre and Zatanna as well.

"He is basically trying to recruit," says Del Toro of the "Hellblazer" hero.

Though the film's through-line will feature Jason Blood's history with Merlin and the Knights of King Arthur, bringing a threat to present day.

Del Toro stressed that he didn't want any of the heroes' origins to be delivered up front and, instead, will be explored throughout the film.

"Swamp Thing is at peace with who he is," says Del Toro, "but Deadman is still trying to find out who shot him."