Hondo's Bar

il_570xN.394498503_p59j.jpg

So, I had mentioned having recently seen Moonrise Kingdom over the the What was the last film you saw? thread, and it sparked a little conversation about Wes Anderson films. I was thinking of making a thread, Chris also suggested maybe doing it, so here we are. These are Wes Anderson's films (he wrote and directed all of them, and produced all of them except Bottle Rocket):

Bottle Rocket (1996)

Rushmore (1998)

The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004)

The Darjeeling Limited (2007)

Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)

Moonrise Kingdom (2012)

So, I figured everyone could order the WA films they've seen in order from favorite to least favorite. It's hard for me, because I saw Rushmore once, either in theaters or before The Royal Tenenbaums was released in theaters, I saw The Royal Tenebaums once, I think in theaters, but if not also before The Life Aquatic, and I saw The Life Aquatic in theaters, also only once, so three of this films I haven't seen in a long time. I haven't seen Bottle Rocket or The Darjeeling Limited. I saw Moonrise Kingdom, which I really liked, and I've seen half of The Fantastic Mr Fox, which I plan to finish today.

Of the four I've seen all the way through, I like them all, but I think I would arrange them like this:

The Life Aquatic

Moonrise Kingdom

Rushmore

The Royal Tenenbaums

I should probably watch the three I haven't seen in years again.

Edited by Reverend Jax

I always thought he directed I Heart Huckabees. I know he didn't, but the trailer looked alot like one of his movies, but I've never seen it. I may be remembering the trailer way differently too.

Edited by axel_napalm

Moonrise Kingdom - it was every bit as good as you'd figure mcclaine, norton and venkman would be in a movie by the life aquatic guy

I told you. A bunch of Hollywood producers got into a room, and the power point slide came up with a picture of you, and a caption that said "How do we make a movie to appeal to this specific person?"

I've seen half of The Fantastic Mr Fox, which I plan to finish today.

So, I did finish this. I did like it, but I find it pretty difficult to place upon the other 4 Wes films I've seen.

Edited by Reverend Jax
  • Upvote 1

OK, so I just finished The Darjeeling Limited. I definitely found it lacking compared to Anderson's other film. The main problem it suffers from is that none of the three brother (the film's three main characters) are particularly likable or interesting. Main character should be at least likable or interesting, if not both. The story also a bit on the unfocused side. It didn't seem to be headed anywhere in particular, and since I didn't particularly like the characters or find them interesting, I didn't really care where it was aimlessly heading.

All that makes it sound like I really disliked it, but I didn't. It wasn't unpleasant to sit through, but it was overall pretty meh. Definitely at the bottom of my list of his movies.

I finally saw Moonrise Kingdom, and I found it a bit (just a bit, mind you, Jax) overly cute and lacking in characterization compared to his other works, but it was still a damned fine film. Also, I'm surprised there wasn't more controversy in the press over that beach scene w/ the two kids. I guess it flew under the radar w/ its summer release. Anyway, despite the aforementioned beach scene, it was definitely his most joyful, feel-good live-action film.

OK, so I just finished The Darjeeling Limited. I definitely found it lacking compared to Anderson's other film. The main problem it suffers from is that none of the three brother (the film's three main characters) are particularly likable or interesting. Main character should be at least likable or interesting, if not both. The story also a bit on the unfocused side. It didn't seem to be headed anywhere in particular, and since I didn't particularly like the characters or find them interesting, I didn't really care where it was aimlessly heading.

All that makes it sound like I really disliked it, but I didn't. It wasn't unpleasant to sit through, but it was overall pretty meh. Definitely at the bottom of my list of his movies.

So, you're saying none of the characters were likable or interesting, particularly?

Hmm. I found the brothers were all flawed but likable in their own ways.