Hondo's Bar

So with the release of the first trailer for the second film, I noticed we never had a thread to discuss this film series. Anyway, check out the trailer, I think it looks great, and doesn't appear to have any footage of the actual games.

Edited by Reverend Jax

Yeah, I don't believe we got any footage of the third act of the film at all there. That conversation between President Snow and Plutarch wasn't in the book, but it's a nice bit of exposition to set up that third act. I don't think the first film really lived up to the novel, but I'm still looking forward to this one.

book spoiler...

Looking forward to the victor games especially. I can't wait to see that arena.

The books are all told from Katniss' perspective. The only way to translate that faithfully would have been with lots of voice over narration, as Katniss does more thinking to the reader than speaking to other characters in the books. A movie with more voice-over narration than dialogue rarely works on screen, even when it works on paper. Fight Club did it well, Adaptation did too, but even that movie had a joke towards the end about how it's lazy writing.

So, considering we are going to have little if any voice-over narration from Katniss, you have to use other story-telling devices. One thing the first movie did really well during the games was have Stanley Tucci's Caesar Flickerman give play-by-play commentary (for example, in explaining the tracker jackers), which was completely natural given the televised, reality-show nature of the games, and I think that it works more often than it didn't work.

The other notable thing the trailer omitted besides any third act scenes was all the new characters, which the exception of Phillip Seymour Hoffman as Plutarch. No Johanna, no Finnick, no Wiress, no Gloss, no Beetee. I think that for a first trailer, that may be a wise choice, but I think they will appear in future trailers.

• 3 months later...

See, but none of the president Snow scenes are necessary, nor were they in the first movie. It's natural they have to find a way around Katniss' narration but all the things Snow is saying to Plutarch are things he says directly to Katniss in her own home at the very beginning of the book. Just as the first movie didn't need the long scene showing how they made the mutant pitbulls (more like werewolves in the book) because Katniss said to Pita "they're some kind of Muttation." What the Snow scenes do is rob the narrative of its surprise, he's going to spoil the victor games before they're revealed which is weaksauce. It's kind of like how at the beginning of Dune the Emperor steps up to the giant slug and vomits the whole plot of the book out. It's weak and lazy and defeats the purpose of letting the story unfold.

Super excited for this. I didn't watch the first movie when it came out and only saw it after reading the books and seeing the trailer for the 2nd one. Here comes the usual shpeal (sp?) -- book was better. But I can see why they did some of the things they did in the movie as opposed to what the books had. With that being said, I can't wait for this one to come out.

I still, however, kept asking myself how they will be able to put some of the stuff on screen and keep a PG rating...

• 4 weeks later...

I burned through the books in about a week. Couldn't get enough of them. So I wasn't surprised when the first movie didn't live up to my expectations. It was still enjoyable enough though. They just had to go and put Jennifer Lawrence in the lead role though. She's so achingly beautiful it kind of draws your attention away from the story.

I am looking forward to this all the same.

• 2 years later...