Hondo's Bar

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Keth

• On a TV, the Nintendo Switch version of the game renders in 900p while the Wii U version renders in 720p.

I hate that I've become a resolution whore, but after playing games on the ps4 that exclusivally have them in 1080p now, going back to play something like Red Dead Redemption, it's pretty noticeable. 900p on the Switch is something I won't notice though.

• 1 month later...

zeldadlc.jpg

I'm going to assume no one here is - (insert 'whoa' gif...here) - freakin' out about the DLC.

Only thing I'm really interested in is the new story-stuff in the last pack...coming in Holiday. I never finished doing the 'Cave of Trials' Wolf-Link Amiibo-thing on Twilight Princess HD. A part of that was - you're the wolf the whole time. M'eh. I have been considering finishing it up later on tonite, tho...

A Challenge Mode - as Link - could be cool. You get 'exclusive in-game clothing' for buying the whole thing now - but it's just a Nintendo Switch T-Shirt...that Link can wear in-game. The two chests of 'useful items' is lookin' like it's going to be the kind of swag the BotW n' LotZ 30 Anniversary Amiibos bring: items you can already get in-game...(meat, strong swords / shields) just early access to 'em. (shrugs)

Pass? But I'm afraid I'll eventually want the whole thing. 'Additional Map Feature'? Wtf is that? Not seeing a classic NES Link tunic announcement anywhere. Hopefully it's already in-game. (insert eye-roll gif...here)

yeah, i don't really blame them for trying, but i'm only in for a dungeon or something like that. putting hard mode in DLC isn't my favorite part, though.

and i'd prolly dig an 8-bit tunic but then it'd just get me thinking i should replay 3D Dot Game Heroes, haha

speaking of the game though: i seem to have (so far) ducked the amazon cancellations for the master edition! made a backup order of the regular LE (i mostly want that case for the system, but the rest looks cool too) with Dell last night when they had em up, it was canceled by the time i woke back up again, heh. don't let me down, amazons!

:lush: you know? i really love the artstyle of this game, but the stuff you're linking there...i forget exactly which artist that is from zelda 1 (& 2, i wanna say)'s manual, but i've always wanted to play a game in the series with that art, somehow.

that first image in particular always captured the essence of the series for me: a boy (who wakes up late) sets out into the woods in search of adventure. i think that's what i've missed in recent entries: the dungeons have been amazing, but i need an overworld that begs for exploration.

First image - from the first game's manual. Second image - from Adventure of Link's manual.

I need an overworld that begs for exploration.

I think that's why I got such a bug up my butt for a 'retro tunic'. With sooo many nods to the original - and the 'back to basics' open-world approach...it would be so awesome. I think it's just a matter of time. I'm anxiously waiting for the announcement of 'classic tunic'. Getting a feeling it'll be 'round Holiday - if it ain't already in-game.

giphy.gif

So far it just feels tedious and directionless to me. Nintendo is better than stealing a hodge podge of ideas and lumping them into a game. Yeah its huge and gorgeous, but it isn't very fun. Plus the tech issues with framerate drops are pretty jarring in towns.

Right? LOL - it does totally feel directionless - but I'm loving that! The fun for me is exploring and smelling the flowers. If I trigger something - cool, but I'm not playing in any rush to finish or to just...get on to the next 'checkpoint'...so for me, the...'here's the world. G'bye.' aspect is perfectly okay w/ me. Reminds me of the original NES game - but a bit better...because there is a freakin' map!!! (Sorry NZA - the original needs a map! LOL)

I haven't played Skyrim or any other open-world RPG stuff that BoTW has ripped their ideas from - so all this...cooking, breakable weapons stuff is totally new to me.

It does chug, tho - that's for freakin' sure. You playin' on Switch? It's big n' purty - and feels alive - but, occasional item-drop spawn-lag when you kill something, framerate dips during a lot of on-screen action are absolutely noticeable...but in no way game-breaking for me.

Sorry you ain't diggin' it as much as me - maybe it's just different strokes?

the original did have a map, it just came in nintendo power

axels it didn't click with me at first either, but as ive explored the overworld more it's really been great...there's just so much going on here, from small pocket villages to secret shrines and hyrule NPC's with their sidequests. i love that there's a challenge here, but if i wanted to, i could mosey on over to hyrule castle & get wrecked even at this early stage.

personally i haven't noticed the framerate drops as much, but then i did just finish last guardian recently so maybe i'm a bit numb to them now

I'm pretty sure I've read awhile ago that Zelda Switch has it's framerate drops, too during intense stuff. I mean, to me - the Wii U framedrops aren't gamebreaking in any way...it's there, but yeah...I imagine the Switch's are even less.

Would like to see a comparison - Wii U / Switch and Switch docked / undocked.

i love that there's a challenge here, but if i wanted to, i could mosey on over to hyrule castle & get wrecked even at this early stage.

You die in this game...a lot. I love it - LOL. Danger is very real in this game. Your ass can get smited real quick. LOL - I feel bad for my neighbors...I've belted a few booming 'FUUUUCK!'s early on in the game. Lightning can get scary, too.

the original did have a map, it just came in nintendo power

yea-k.gif

LOL - wink.png

One will break here and then some bullshit will kill you because it wont automatically swap the broken one for next in the queue.

I'm bitching, but man fuck that noise. I don't remember seeing anything saying this was gonna be another Souls type game or I never would have bought it.

Edited by Axels

but souls is the best

i hear you, but as i'm progressing, i'm just not really bothered - the game has such a wide variety of weapons, and i'm actually glad there's (adjustable) limited slots for them, it keeps the challenge of using your gear & trying out different things (arrows, runes, elements, etc) going in combat.

another really cool thing as i've explored the world & gotten my ass kicked by strange things: so many of the more dangerous creatures are clearly redesigns of classic zelda enemies - wizzorbes, those terrible centaur things in the mountains, etc.

tonight ive been looking less for shrines & more working on finding towers to open up the map, and also started using bishopcruz's amiibos for some help...which turned out really cool, got a classic green hat thing so my guy actually looks like link now. also found out that summoning wolf-link from twilight princess is super helpful in letting him sniff out hidden shrines!

but yeah, how far are you axels? i was a bit off put early on, thinking it wasn't as zelda-like & all...but the more i've played, the more i've really fallen for it. they managed to keep some of the best conventions while throwing most of the formula stuff out, which was a bit overdue...and the overworld literally feels endless. but unlike skyrim & stuff that doesn't appeal to me, there's lots of stuff to do & tons of hylian lore about, it's been really cool digging in.

also: when a weapon breaks, hit right on the left stick; if the controls are similar, you'll open up the quick weapon menu without having to go to your inventory, makes swapping them out a lot easier.

That's what I did a couple o' days ago - I just went for sum Towers to open up the world / map a bit. I 'cartographed' the entire East side of Hyrule's map. Been exploring for a couple of days now - knocking out shrines. I going to start on the West side today - I haven't even set foot there, yet. Hyrule is huuuuuge!

Yeah, if a weapon breaks - I just immediately hold 'right' on the directional pad (playing on Wii U), it opens up ur weapon inventory. Just slap the stick right or left n' select a new one. I like that they break - can catch fire / fall apart. Enemies drop weapons all the time, there's no shortage of weapons in the game. Kinda forces you to use whatever 'offensive object' you can get your mitts on during sticky situations. BUT, the oc completionist in me is kinda bothered by breakable weapons. I want to be holding every weapon in the game at once - and be able to use it without limits.

Unlocking weapon slots is a thing in this game - so I guess I can see how they don't just give you a hundred slot inventory wheel for weapons, like they have for materials. I haven't bumped into any...one-of-a-kind weapons, yet...that are lost forever once they break. I think that'd be cruel.

I coincidentally tested out Amiibos last night! I threw down Wolf-Link and 8-bit Link - yeah, that Wolf is an @sshole! He just runs down and kills whatever's out there! LOL But, I thought he could retrieve stuff - like if he kills a bird, he'll bring you back the meat. Only command I could make out was 'stay' when I targeted him. A green hat?! Which amiibo was that?! 8-bit Link just gave me a bunch o' meat and a standard-ass sword.

Man - maybe the fact that I've never played a Skyrim, Souls or Fallout is why I'm unaffected by the RPG 'cliches'. I guess my ignorance and inexperience w/ 'em gives me an advantage w/ this game - none of what I'm playing feels 'old hat'. It all feels like a thought-out, bold direction to take the latest chapter in the Zelda series. It really does feel like the first one.

I am pissed that there isn't full-blown voice acting. I wanted every bit of dialogue w/ every NPC to be voice-acted. LOL - that's actually my only complaint. So far.

do you though? you keep saying it's souls-like, when it's not really souls-like at all

again though: where are you in the game?

nemo - i found a quest where a guy's selling a house for 3k rupees (!) and you need a bunch of wood for it, but apparently there's a weapons rack if you really wanna keep unique ones there.

i don't normally dig breakable stuff, but this isn't the usual way it's handled: your armor/etc doesn't degrade, only weapons. and you're not left rushing back to town for a smith to repair it, it's more like running out of ammo in halo or something: there's tons of stuff about, so you make do with something else for a bit. looking at some of the stronger weapons/wands ive been finding, i think limited them added some balance here, rather than the arbitrary way weapons fall apart in a lot of other games i've played.

part of me also kinda digs the fact that there's only one sword which never breaks, and the game's gonna make you earn it this time.