Hondo's Bar

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Keth

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

More info

Link moves through the world freely. Breath of the Wild is meant to evoke a great sense of openness, similar to the very first game in the series. “For really the first time in a 3D Zelda game, you kind of get the feeling you had the very first time you played the original NES Zelda game,” Nintendo’s Bill Trinen had told reporters on Sunday. He said you get that game’s “sense of openness, the sense I can walk off in any direction, the sense I can do dungeons and go wherever I want. I can find myself in places that I know I’m not supposed to be in, and I can get my butt kicked. Or I can run away and try to get back.”

Link now can jump with the press of a button, something absent from other 3D Zeldas. The move is most useful for jumping onto walls, which you can climb so long as your stamina gauge holds up. I made Link climb cliffs, building walls and trees. The steeper the grade, the more quickly your gauge depletes, I was told. You can also improve your stamina as you play, apparently by getting upgrades, something I didn’t see in my demos.

More so than any Zelda game since Zelda II, Breath of the Wild feels like an adventure governed by stats. You are constantly collecting new outfits and weapons, all of which have stats. The weapons you grab can break. A clock ticks forward, one second in real life serving as one minute in game time. Your health is still measured in hearts, but that health is now filled by eating various items of food that will replenish different amounts of health. You can cook the food and discover new recipes. One recipe shown in the demos lets you improve your stamina, allowing you to run faster for around three minutes.

Enemies now camp throughout the game’s open world. I came upon an encampment in one of the demos and took the enemies out. I tried to use the game’s new crouching stealth system (this and the stats and the climbing..am I writing a preview for Assassin’s Creed?) and crept up on an enemy. In another encounter, I rolled a boulder down from a cliff to kill a group. You can scavenge weapons from enemies. Camping enemies may go to sleep at night, Nintendo reps said.

The game’s map is huge and can be annotated by the player at any time. Players can drop multiple beacons to use as waypoints but can also mark spots with stamps that could indicate that a given location has enemies in it, a treasure chest or other points of interest.

Edited by Axels

everything about this looks amazing...really, really loving the stress being put on the dynamic overworld. we don't need to see as much of the dungeons; they've nailed those down for several games now. likewise, the lack of tutorials/etc really makes it sound like they've gotten the message.

seeing the watercolor/cel mix in motion is fantastic, too - you've got some classic zelda + team ICO/shadow feel here. the weapon & armor system sound great, even weather/etc seem like they'll work to create some sense of linearity to the overworld, which im dying to explore here & bummed we have to wait till whenever the NX is ready to launch, for both copies.

this game looks so great, i'm glad they've taken all this extra time on it

yeah, i wanna say i read everyone but link will? crazy that there's a jump button this time too, don't think we've had that since...part 2

and yeah man, i'm torn. it's prolly gonna be a gorgeous launch game for the NX, but i need so many details on that system to know if it'll be great as a port (maybe designed partly with that system in mind, at this point?) or if it's gonna be Twilight Princess again and i'm gonna wish i'dve just bought it on the hardware it was originally built around

....cmonnnnn

medieval setting fantasy-based adventure about going out into the world to take on impossible monsters, save a princess/world in the process? SOTC literally opens like Zelda 2, i don't need to pull Ueda's quotes to know that game has Zelda's DNA in it. Monster i'm going off what little i played of the PS2 & wii ones, but it felt pretty strong, i thought

nothing wrong with it, mind you! and it's a two-way street; i even said there's a strong ICO feeling to the artystle here, and Anomua himself has (rightfully) praised ueda's games tons of times. the last monster hunter even crossed over with Zelda, i can totally see what you're saying in regards to weapons, armor etc here (which again look like welcome changes). i just think it's odd to not give the grandaddy it's due.

I dunno, I feel like Zelda is borrowing more from other games these days. I can see SOTC being influenced (boss fights w/ specific weaknesses, princess trapped by evil etc) but still. SS took some from MH with materials and crafting it feels like. Its all kinda harmonious really.

Edit:

late post

Edited by Axels

let's just all be happy that it's taking from the right places, and they ignored all those IGN pieces about what zelda should learn from skyrim

there was a ton of Dark Souls stuff too, but that always felt more castlevania to me in weird ways. also? Berserk Souls is so obvious that it hurts my heart

That pretty much how I felt when I saw the gameplay video and they were introducing the new elements: breakable weapons, armor stats...rpg stuffs?! I am so damn happy they are finally bringing in elements from the genre / other games that would make Zelda optimal. I didn't want to know anymore! I wanted to discover all the new stuff on my own! I got so excited for what this game experience could be! But I...couldn't look away.

I have always wanted an open-world Zelda that just threw you in - so this is utter sickness, for me. I wanted it to be a different experience everytime you play. (I want the key-items found in dungeons to be totally random - along w/ the particular dungeon boss).

It looked fantabulous - but honestly, I wasn't all that impressed by the graphics. When Link climbed a tree and I saw a branch full of leaves...I was like, 'Oh." Reminded me of N64 logic - don't get too close to the environment! LOL - I know it was just youtube - and Twilight HD had moments that were - wow. I hope the NX has a bump in textures and models...it ain't game-breaking in the least, but I was straight-up expecting majestic. (My fault.) And uh, I'm gettin' an NX anyway - that'd be a nice bonus.

I haven't played Skyrim or SoTC - so I don't know what elements are ripped from them.

Nintendo created the industry - everybody has ripped off their game franchises, they're the standard. It's great fun to piss on Nintendo - but they're the true innovators of the industry. They march to the beat of their own drum - to a fault. I hope they do more of this: perch their heads up and look at what people are responding to in other games. Ain't no shame in that. Audible dialogue?! It ain't very 'Zelda', but people prefer it! Good lord, yes! Thank you!

Every gamer wants a game to be the best it can be - even if elements like a rumble feature and a rotational lock-on system are not very original. Shit like Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale...that's something to piss on.

Holy shit, this is the first real innovation I've seen in Zelda since Ocarina of Time (arguably Majora's Mask but that was still leaning pretty heavy on "Ocarina but with _______" formula.) I mean it reminds me of Okami, but Okami was the best Zelda clone so I'm down for that. I may actually have to buy a Nux.

Edited by Iambaytor

did you ever get a chance to run through Majora's, though? i know it's not everyone's cup of tea, and at the time, looked like an OoT expansion (same assets/everything), but it deviated really heavily from the formula - time system, no gannon or zelda, etc - and looking back, was substantially darker than the series usually is. if you get a chance with the 3DS remake, you might dig it!

• 3 weeks later...