Hondo's Bar

Star Wars Rebels

Mr. Hakujin

• 1 month later...

MAN! Long-ass wait...but, it's finally landed!

tumblr_ovgyoldIoQ1vndct2o1_540.jpg

lL3cMhu.gif

It came w/ digital codes - but, I forget if sharing Disney stuff on the Hondo Vudu account ever got sorted...I'll check the thread. I think it did. I'll be adding this (and the previous Seasons) if it lets me.

EDIT: Oh, hold up. These aren't 'digital' codes...they're 'reward' codes. Whoops.

ca26d62de955fdce6b2964e11e89deae.jpg

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

I finished up Season 3 yesterday...

Not as epic as I thought it'd be. Hard to top Vader's involvement in Season 2.

They introduced Thrawn, Saw (a Rogue One / Season 4 tease) and had Mon Mothma formally resign from the Senate. Oh - and the Rebels lost their 'base' at the end...forcing them to find another one. (We know where they're goin'! happy.png)

Maul's end felt sooo forced. Like, "look: let's just end this shit already." He was so built up in Clone Wars...didn't feel like a sufficient pay-off. His 'Phantom Menace' survival didn't really contribute...to anything! I guess, Mandalore stuff...but, that stuff is just a giant mess. (Thank you, Lucas...lol - jeez.) I totally blame the Disney-sale.

I spent most of my binge just, waiting for something 'whoa!' to happen. Felt like...just...'mandatory' moments - (Wedge being recruited, Y-Wings acquired, ect.) 'definitely cool!' - but, nothing 'epic'. Felt like a Season dedicated to 'setting the stage' for what is prolly gonna be an 'epic' sick-ass Season 4 / Series finale.

I thought Season 2 was better. S3 was waaay better than Season 1, but like it (S1)...felt like they weren't sure how all the pieces were gonna fit, yet. I wish I could've seen 3 n' 4 back-to-back. Felt like I could've jumped into Season 4 w/out seeing Season 3 and not be lost.

I'm gonna watch it again this weekend, tho. LOL

W/ Maul - it wasn't the fight or how he met his end...or even his end.

It was his contribution to the greater...the grand scheme of 'Star Wars-things'. What did he really 'effect' by his return? What the hell was the point in bringing him back - other than...'he just looks so damn cool!' I just wish he marked 'the mythos' a bit harder...which, I thought he was doing a great job of 'getting there'.

I liked him being involved w/ the Mandalorians...and 'Black Sun'?! - that shit was outta hand epic! I was excited w/ the potential of how they were gonna use Maul...and the reveal of what he had a hand in 'the grand scheme of Star Wars'.

'Member back in the day (Clone Wars tv) - it was Seasons of 'getting there' to bring 'him back'...and it all ended w/ Palpatine catching wind and putting a stop to Maul. Where did that go?

f034c032f5a3e6611847afe45dc7c3db.jpg

Rebels Season 2 - I thought they were gonna do something great to tie-up the 'point of Maul'. 'He just wants to fight Kenobi...' Okay. I mean, it makes sense...his death on the desert is poetic...but...eh. Maybe after he...ah dunno, left some sort of 'scar' (metaphor) / impact? Again, yeah - the Mando stuff, but when we get back on that stuff in Rebels...that whole Mando stuff is just - 'a mess.'

In the grand-scheme of things - it just felt like he might as well have just stayed dead on Naboo. His return didn't really result in anything...really revelatory. Which really, were my own expectations. I can't think of anything sick at the moment - nothing like a turn to the light...but, ah dunno. Yeah - he was a pretty pathetic, obsessed character...who was seemingly destined to be a victim of his own inabilities.

Whateva. RIP - Maul...again.

But, too bad...

like-a-damn-fool.gif

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

While I agree some of the Mando stuff were highlights, he really wasn't written well from the beginning. He was just cool-looking. Spacecowboy and I have had this convo half-a-dozen times: They should have made Maul the main antagonist of the prequel trilogy and had him meet his end against Anakin who then ascends to his place next to Palpatine. That's it. No vendetta with Obi-Wan. As a matter of fact, humanize Obi-Wan a bit for having impure Sith thoughts of killing Maul (for Qui-Gon) and failing Anakin for allowing him to be seduced by the Darkside through the vendetta.

Vader's badassness would have been semi-cemented by the fact that he would have had to defeat the coolest, most awesome Sith up until that point instead of being the crybaby douche who killed Younglings.

Edited by Da Cap'n 2099

The purpose of bringing back Maul was to give Kenobi a nemesis. Maul was obsessed with Kenobi and went out of his way to hurt him best he could, with the big blow being when he killed the Neo-Mando pacifist leader chick that the closest thing Kenobi ever had to a wife. Ohs the feels. But with that Jedi detachment thing, Kenobi shrugged it off like no big deal, the impact was blunted, and that left Maul blue-balled just in time for Palpatine to show up and carve up his brother Savage and capture him; that's the last we see of Maul on TV until Rebels.

However, the media that came after the Clone wars series (comics or books or something online) had Maul being sprung from Palpatine and Dooku by his followers and run home to his biological mommy, who was the leader of the Nightsisters, Mother Talzin. Shit happens, hilarity ensues, allegiances flip, yada yada, in the end Talzin dies because Palpatine was actually using Maul as bait to wipe out the last independent group of force users out there, i.e. the last of the Nightsisters (and thus the reason Maul was captured instead of killed), and Maul's remaining empire (what remained of the alliance that he had used to take over Mandalore) was wiped out and he is ultimately ousted from Mandalore and out of the picture till Rebels.

But the whole point of bringing back Maul was really to vex Kenobi, the have him go out like a bitch because you don't fuck with Obi-wan. Kinda worked.

Satine+dying+4.gif

Edited by Drifter

Aside from Maul's end - the only other thing I thought was 'milestone' was Mon Mothma officially leaving the Senate and pulling that 'call out' to the other 'disaffected'...and a crap-ton of 'Rebel' ships all like, instantaneously popping up outta hyperspace. Man, I want to see that more of that stuff. The 'something has to be done' - stuff.

I've mention this elsewhere - I'm so looking forward to that moment of 'Declaration of Open Rebellion' against the Empire...and the Emperor's stance and position w/ the Senate. (Fanboy dreams)

I'm sure we're gonna get the origin of the 'Rebel insignia' and we're gonna see just how desperate the Rebel Alliance is by the time of ANH. I'm really looking forward to Season 4.

I think that's gonna be the Season for me. I really liked Rogue One - I'm sure S4 is gonna be devoted to setting the stage for that flick and give a lot more weight to the whole...discovery of the Death Star. I can't freakin' wait. Also...X-WIIIIINGS!!!!

I hope it's great - I hope they go all out w/ the 'finale Season'.

I watched sum 'Recons' and sum featurettes on the blu - the 'Twin Suns' episode (Maul's death) was gonna feature a lot more 'Tatooine': Mos Eisley...the Lars Homestead. They really cut out a lot of stuff to keep the focus on Ezra and Maul. I thought it was a good decision...I really lament them not having that 'Luke racing' episode. (shrugs) but I get it. (A man can fanboy)

• 2 months later...
On 9/2/2017 at 1:16 PM, Little Nemo McFly said:

Hide contents

Aside from Maul's end - the only other thing I thought was 'milestone' was Mon Mothma officially leaving the Senate and pulling that 'call out' to the other 'disaffected'...and a crap-ton of 'Rebel' ships all like, instantaneously popping up outta hyperspace. Man, I want to see that more of that stuff. The 'something has to be done' - stuff.

I've mention this elsewhere - I'm so looking forward to that moment of 'Declaration of Open Rebellion' against the Empire...and the Emperor's stance and position w/ the Senate. (Fanboy dreams)

I'm sure we're gonna get the origin of the 'Rebel insignia' and we're gonna see just how desperate the Rebel Alliance is by the time of ANH. I'm really looking forward to Season 4.

I think that's gonna be the Season for me. I really liked Rogue One - I'm sure S4 is gonna be devoted to setting the stage for that flick and give a lot more weight to the whole...discovery of the Death Star. I can't freakin' wait. Also...X-WIIIIINGS!!!!

I hope it's great - I hope they go all out w/ the 'finale Season'.

I watched sum 'Recons' and sum featurettes on the blu - the 'Twin Suns' episode (Maul's death) was gonna feature a lot more 'Tatooine': Mos Eisley...the Lars Homestead. They really cut out a lot of stuff to keep the focus on Ezra and Maul. I thought it was a good decision...I really lament them not having that 'Luke racing' episode. (shrugs) but I get it. (A man can fanboy)

Yeah, maybe because I watch week to week and not on BR/DVD, I enjoy the Rebels Recon episodes more; haven't skipped one yet. I look forward to their breakdowns and interviews with Pappa Pablo and Daddy Dave. That and I have a sizeable fanboy crush on hostess with the mostess, Andi G.

Regarding S3 "Twin Suns" episode

I just rewatched it online and that final blow by Kenobi does look off. He should've taken off a chunk of Maul's face from that angle, no? Let me know if you spot anything differently with the glorious amped up pixelation and slo-mo of bluray, Newt. Seriously, I watched it several times on youtube and slowed it as best I could, and it seems quite obvious the positioned it as a downward slash. The angle Maul was holding his saber was up and in front of his face. Kenobi splits the saber and should've hit his face, but there's clearly smoke coming from his torso. WEIRD!

And I agree about cutting that scene out of Luke racing. Sure, it would've been a great bit of fan service, but the emotional impact of hearing Beru call Luke and then seeing his tiny silhouette run across the desert home was just a perfect emotional cap to that episode.

Season 4 just had its mid-season finale, E9 "Rebel Assault." The first two episodes of S4 were a bit of a chore for me as I'm not a huge fan of the Mandalore plot. However, everything since then has been full on fantasticness. I'm a bit pissed because I was expecting a full 22 episode season and it's apparently only 15 episodes. :sad:

And S4E9 was a great episode in true REBELS fashion. Pretty much one line spoken by Hera made the entire episode worth it, from a fanboy perspective anyway. Maybe you'll consider it spoilers, so I'll tag it...

"Lock S-foils in attack position."

Yaaaaaaaaasssssssss General!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I think Bishop is right about Kannan. My prediction for the last episodes are...

Kanan never leaves Lothal alive. He injures Ruhk in rescuing Hera, which also leads to the factory being destroyed in a big bomb blast. This explosion kills Gov. Price and Kanan. They're really playing up Kanan and this force wolf speaking "doom," so no way Kanan lives past REBELS S4. Thrawn & Ezra (along with the rest of the Ghost crew) survive the series and likely show up in the next animation series Feloni does. 

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
thpoilerth

Spoiler

Wasn't it in the original books that ultimately Ruhk kills Thrawn? While they seem to be tweaking things it seems that most of the new stuff is keeping with the spirit of the old SW:EU if not the letter, so I don't expect Thrawn to survive the series; something will happen that has Ruhk kill him, and it will probably come out of left field. Personally, I'm thinking Kannan makes it and retires from it all, militia and Jedi alike, and holds down the home-fort while Hera continues her Rebelling ways... probably because Ezra, Sabine, and the rest of the Mandalorians don't make it. I'm pretty sure Boba Fette was described as the last of the Mandalorians when he came out (not sure if they ever ret-conned that) which doesn't bode well for them, and if Sabine goes Ezra will likely be by her side like a loyal puppy (I dig the ship) or go dark and need to be put down... oh well, only thing we know for sure is 'last of the Jedi you will be' in roughly 7 years time from their point of view, doesn't leave a lot of room for happy endings.

Edited by Drifter

9 hours ago, Drifter said:
  Hide contents

Wasn't it in the original books that ultimately Ruhk kills Thrawn? While they seem to be tweaking things it seems that most of the new stuff is keeping with the spirit of the old SW:EU if not the letter, so I don't expect Thrawn to survive the series; something will happen that has Ruhk kill him, and it will probably come out of left field. Personally, I'm thinking Kannan makes it and retires from it all, militia and Jedi alike, and holds down the home-fort while Hera continues her Rebelling ways... probably because Ezra, Sabine, and the rest of the Mandalorians don't make it. I'm pretty sure Boba Fette was described as the last of the Mandalorians when he came out (not sure if they ever ret-conned that) which doesn't bode well for them, and if Sabine goes Ezra will likely be by her side like a loyal puppy (I dig the ship) or go dark and need to be put down... oh well, only thing we know for sure is 'last of the Jedi you will be' in roughly 7 years time from their point of view, doesn't leave a lot of room for happy endings.

I've yet to actually finish reading the Zahn Thrawn trilogy, so I'm not sure about his fate in the books. But just from watching the behind the scenes stuff on Rebels Recon I can tell that group of writers has a huge respect for Zahn and his characters. I would be surprised if they got rid of such a fan favorite villain without fully realizing all the story potential from those books. Know what I mean?

I heard Zahn was writing a few SWR episodes, but I could be mistaken. I do know that he's writing another Thrawn trilogy that is now canon, all set before he makes an appearance in Rebels... hence my guess at Thrawn's chances for survival.

Edited by Drifter
clarity- was mixing pronouns

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Where are the...

...X-Wiiiings?!

HighlevelDismalFrilledlizard-max-1mb.gif

Dying to see Season 4 - Season 2 was the shit, Season 3 was...not...the shit.

For me, so far, the best thing that's happened 'Star Wars' - since the Disney sale - has been 'Rogue One'.  Hoping for a nice tie-in w/ all dat and seeing a formal birth of the Rebellion...against the evil Empire - that will far exceed what I already have in my head.  LOL - :wink:

After seeing 'The Last Jedi', I have no interest in where Disney takes / adlibs the story post-ROTJ.

In fact, before the buy-out...I was never invested in any post-ROTJ stuff.  To me, 'Star Wars' has always ended w/ 'Return of the Jedi'.  I was really invested in the Prequel era.  Say what you want about the Prequels - but, the stage set (which 'Clone Wars' utilized wonderfully) - man, brilliant.

Point is, I hope 'Rebels' isn't the last hurrah for the Lucas-era of Star Wars.  I know we're getting the Han Solo movie, but stuff like 'Rogue One', 'Obi-Wan' - that's the kinda stuff I'm looking forward to now...more than Disney's proper 'Episodes'.

REB_IA_8278.jpg

• 1 month later...