Hondo's Bar

Civil War II

The NZA

QS0CBUS.jpgrQFV7Z5.jpg

wiki says it's determinism vs free will:

In December 2015, Marvel Comics announced the details of Civil War II by writer Brian Michael Bendis, artist David Marquez, colorist Justin Ponsor, and editor Tom Brevoort. The series, set to debut in June 2016, is a sequel to 2006's Civil War, which pitted Iron Man against Captain America in a conflict about national security versus civil liberties.[3] Brevoort, who also edited the first series, stated, "The attempt was to craft the conflict so that each side held a valid and defensible position, so that a reader could fundamentally agree with either one side or the other, with neither being painted as absolutely right or absolutely wrong. While the issues involved are different, we'll be taking the same approach to Civil War II." Bendis, who wrote The New Avengers tie-in issues for the original Civil War, stated that he only agreed to write the sequel after Mark Millar and Steve McNiven, the creators of the 2006 series, turned it down.

The idea of the sequel was conceived at one of Marvel's semi-annual editorial retreats. Bendis revealed, "People's personal accountability is the theme of this one... From the way cops are acting on camera, to the way people talk to each other online." According to the official synopsis, a strange new character with the power to accurately predict the outcome of future events comes to the attention of the world. This power divides the heroes on how best to utilize the information, with Captain Marvel wanting to profile future crimes before they occur, and Iron Man believing that "the punishment cannot come before the crime." The situation comes to a head, when it is predicted that one of the heroes will be the cause of major destruction and forces the others to make a difficult decision.

The seeds for Civil War II will be planted in the second volume of The Invincible Iron Man, which is also written and drawn by Bendis and Marquez, and a prelude story by Bendis and artist Jim Cheung is scheduled to be released onFree Comic Book Day in May 2016. Axel Alonso, editor-in-chief of Marvel Comics, stated that unlike other major comic book events which take years of planning, he only had three to four months to plan Civil War II. The quick turnaround was necessary in order to build off of the release of Captain America: Civil War, which is scheduled to be released in May 2016

Last week's Iron Man had the banner on the cover & was the first i'd seen of he event, but the "hinting at something big" is kinda a common theme around most ANAD titles right now - plus, we're just getting into that Assault on Pleasant Hill right now, so i hadn't seen much on this yet. thoughts?

I'd think Deadpool would be Team Marvel in this instance. Well, really surprised he's Team anybody. That bit should be an interesting read.

Plus Captain America (It's Steve again right?) over on Marvel's side seems funky too after his stance in CivWar1.

I'm gonna read some of the original Civil War tonight to see if I like it though. The resounding mehness people have been telling me has kept me away, but some of y'all said it's got some really great moments in it.

Sounds like Minority Report from the Wiki description. Meh.

Axel, do this:

Read Civil War #s 1-7 then read Captain America #25 (by Brubaker and Epting).

It's the only COMPLETE Civil War story worth reading.

He should also definitely read the "Road to Civil War" stuff in Spidey first. Not sure of issue #s though...

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Axel, do this:

Read Civil War #s 1-7 then read Captain America #25 (by Brubaker and Epting).

It's the only COMPLETE Civil War story worth reading.

Didn't get to read the Spidey stuff cause I wanted to fast track this. I got too many books as it is.

Ok it wasn't terrible, but it also wasn't great. Tony was written like a straight up villain. I didn't agree with pretty much any of his methods, not to mention his stance on the whole thing. Good intentions and all, but damn it was handled so poorly it seems. The whole thing seemed kinda rushed too, like it happened all super quick.... maybe because I read it so quick though and didn't go through the side books.

I liked The Punisher stuff and Spider-Man's identity reveal (J.J. Jameson's reaction was the best moment for me) and his side switching.

It was.. aight. Civil War 2 sounds like I can get behind either argument... even if it sounds like they'll have to give a damn good reason for them to start fighting in the first place.

nah...panch is mostly right; like a lotta events, much of the side books are forgettable...if your'e all about a given character, you might've read them as you went, but nothing big/that would stick goes down.

Civil War was classic Millar - high concept, weak parts in the middle here & there, and closes poorly/feels rushed. even as deeply teamcap/anti-reg, the pro side was straight villanized, and the world around the event wasn't fleshed out enough either...it still resonates more than secret invasion & others at the time did, but it's a flawed story.

i mean, let's be honest: most of it was a vehicle to see everybody fight, so maybe i shouldn'tve expected too much?

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't it kind of undermine the idea that this is some philosophical dispute about how to safeguard humanity if you're using fight night imagery?

Whatever was wrong about civil war 1, they still got the look of the comics perfect to suit the story.

• 1 month later...

...anybody else read # 1 this week?

fuck

Damn you, nizzlers. That post actually made me flip through CWII #1. Then I read the whole thing. It was. . .good. Much better than I thought it'd be. So I read CWII #00 and it filled in some key info.

Issues 0 & 1 spoilers...

What the fuck turned She-Hulk to Team Danvers though? That flippant comment in issue #0 by Hill? That seems kinda week after she gave a damn good argument in the trial for Jester's defense, which essentially was defense for #TeamStank. Speaking of which, I'm not sure if I like Bendis taking from the Civil War film and hurting Tony's stance by again making it tie into a very personal death for him. Curious to see how this all plays out and how the fuck they can hold Thanos prisoner. Tony said that like he expected it. WTF have they ever captured Thanos post Infinity Gauntlet?

...yeah

jen really did turn fast, im guessing that fight (hoping to see it in Ultimates, which again is a fantastic book) will show just why...im assuming thanos + cube would've been some horrendous shit, so she was sold. after the celestials thing, i can see danvers' point.

thanos is not long for whatever "cell" they have, i imagine..and yeah, im getting used to the movies leading us around a bit, character-wise

New Alpha Flight is Danvers' team or is it Ultimates? Is current Ultimates a post-secret wars blend of characters from 616 & 1610? Only chatacters I know of that came over into 616 post-secret wars from other timelines/universes are OMLogan and Miles Morales, but I'm sure there were others.

• 1 month later...

Issue #2 & #3, y'all! I'm enjoying this way more than I should be. For a title I basically wrote off on the premise alone, I'm carving up some humble pie to chow down on. Two deaths and a serious injury already three issues deep. Each issue so far has ended with great cliffhanger, too.

I admit I was confused that She-Hulk was in coma and not dead until they brought it up in exposition. A few nitpicky fanboy things though:

1. Why would Bruce think Clint could be the only one to live with/forgive himself for killing him? Why not Natasha/Black Widow? (Damn, I really need to read the Fraction solo title for Hawkeye already.)

2. I don't like the fact Matt and others use the term "Hulk Out" in universe. It seems outta place to me. I don't think it's something character in universe say often. It felt like Bendis trying too hard with the dialogue.

3. Speaking of which, while I'm loving the plot, the dialogue is cringeworthy sometimes--mostly in the sense everyone seems to speak with the same flippant, Bendis voice.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

haven't read issue # 3 yet, but at times, i gotta admit that i'm having a hard time over all this fuss about intel from a precog as if that's somehow unprecedented...the book itself's been entertaining, but the premise seems even more flawed than stamford, as a starting point. still on board though.

Well, I don't think a character like Ulysses whose sole power is seeing the future is something that has really been put at the forefront of the MU or DCU in this kind if grand way before. (Maybe there was an obscure character or a plot with a better known character that I'm forgetting though.) Alternate timelines have been done to death in Marvel and DC events, but if someone "knew the future" it was mainly from a freak occurance or time travel--Flash, Bishop, & Cable are the only characters coming to mind at the moment. I mean even the term "precog" was something I first heard in Minority Report and not in the comics.

And get on issue #3 and come back and let me know what you think. It's, to use a now cliched term, a game changer.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 1 year later...